• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Paid online study seeking autistic men

Autistamatic

He's just this guy, you know?
V.I.P Member
The image below advertises a study I've just participated in, investigating anxiety in social situations. It's entirely done in your browser (has to be a PC/Laptop/Chromebook though) and it took me about an hour. They'll send you an Amazon voucher worth £12 (or equivalent) when you complete it.
You don't have to be in the UK but you do have to be a fluent English speaker.
Hannah, who's running the study, asked me if there were any other autistic men willing to take part and to stress that this particular study is only looking for male participants.
If anyone wished to take part, email her at the address at the bottom of the image, telling her where you saw this, and she'll get back to you with details :)

Poster.png

Further clarification below.

gd.png

Last edited:
The image below advertises a study I've just participated in, investigating anxiety in social situations. It's entirely done in your browser (has to be a PC/Laptop/Chromebook though) and it took me about an hour. They'll send you an Amazon voucher worth £12 (or equivalent) when you complete it.
You don't have to be in the UK but you do have to be a fluent English speaker.
Hannah, who's running the study, asked me if there were any other autistic men willing to take part and to stress that this particular study is only looking for male participants.
If anyone wished to take part, email her at the address at the bottom of the image, telling her where you saw this, and she'll get back to you with details :)

View attachment 51463
Stupid question.

How can you take that survey knowing that you have a diagnosed neurological condition without it being a lie?

If I did this online survey? How safe is my personal data? I already suspect my Facebook account has been taken over by data fishing bots, I don't want the whole world knowing every single detail about me.

Stupid question.

How can you take that survey knowing that you have a diagnosed neurological condition without it being a lie?

No not stupid. I questioned that myself. They want autistic men so that is the one exclusion from the category. If you have Schizophrenia, BPD, ADHD or any other permanent neurological diagnosis other than autism you are not eligible.

If I did this online survey? How safe is my personal data? I already suspect my Facebook account has been taken over by data fishing bots, I don't want the whole world knowing every single detail about me.

It's entirely secure Rich. It's being run by a respected, UK academic institution and it asks for no personal identifying details, not even your name.

upload_2019-2-1_12-7-40.png

I thought autism was a neurological condition.

If the study wants people who are autistic, but without additional conditions,
that should be clearly stated. As it is, the wording seems paradoxical.

"Have no diagnosed neurological, genetic or psychotic conditions" .

To me that's attempting to secure a survey from autistic people with the assumption that they have essentially no comorbid conditions to deal with. Really? o_O

I can't say this survey instills confidence given autism itself is a neurological condition, let alone what comorbid conditions might constitute the same, such as forms of depression.

No not stupid. I questioned that myself. They want autistic men so that is the one exclusion from the category. If you have Schizophrenia, BPD, ADHD or any other permanent neurological diagnosis other than autism you are not eligible.
Thanks for clarifying something I felt wasn't very clear.

It doesn't say that, it needs to be more specific.

It says they want autistic or allistic men, but does not specify which other diagnosis are unacceptable, so I questioned it.

I just so happen to be autistic and often take written words at face value, so it confused me.

It may confuse others too.

Depression and anxiety can be transitory as opposed to inherent. Given that the study specifically asks for autistic people to participate, so they clearly feel that the exception did not need to be stated.
As I understand it, the study is related to autism alone and the presence of co-occurring conditions could cloud the data gathered. Most of us DO have co-occurring conditions, but not necessarily ones that impact the traits under investigation.
Clearly they didn't account for the literal nature of so many of us ;)

It's not my study so I have nothing to do with the poster. I simply completed the test myself and was asked if I knew anybody else who might want to take part. Given it's £12 for about an hour of your time and so many people here are a bit hard up, I thought it might be of interest.

Depression and anxiety can be transitory as opposed to inherent. Given that the study specifically asks for autistic people to participate, so they clearly feel that the exception did not need to be stated.
As I understand it, the study is related to autism alone and the presence of co-occurring conditions could cloud the data gathered. Most of us DO have co-occurring conditions, but not necessarily ones that impact the traits under investigation.
Clearly they didn't account for the literal nature of so many of us ;)

It's not my study so I have nothing to do with the poster. I simply completed the test myself and was asked if I knew anybody else who might want to take part. Given it's £12 for about an hour of your time and so many people here are a bit hard up, I thought it might be of interest.
Key word is "they"

I've read a lot of business contracts in my day, and if the wording wasn't clear, I didn't sign them ;)

OK I have just been sent the Guidance Document which gives further details of the "Neurological Conditions" exclusion. I hope that clears up any misunderstandings.
I've tagged onto the OP.

Just to reiterate, it's a simple to complete study, not at all intrusive and harvests no identifying data, plus you get £12 at the end of it. I quite enjoyed it myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom