• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Oregon Trail game turns 50 this year

VictorR

Random Member
V.I.P Member
The first edition of the Oregon Trail game turns 50 this November.

I have fond memories of the game, and how I learned a lot of words from it, like ford, caulk, and dysentery.

As someone who loves cultural geography and history, it played a part in my first trip to Portland, OR to take a detour to Oregon City to visit the end of the trail. I hope someday to visit St. Louis so I can likewise go to Independence to see where it starts.

As a non-driver, unless I find someone with a similar passion and interest who doesn't mind driving, I probably won't get a chance to travel alongside the trail along modern roads and highways, but to me, the story of the trail and those who traversed it makes it as legendary as the better known and one-century-later Route 66.

Articles
Nine Places Where You Can Still See Wheel Tracks from the Oregon Trail
How You Wound Up Playing The Oregon Trail in Computer Class | Innovation | Smithsonian Magazine

I loved that game, it was the first "video game" I ever played. I also learned a lot from it too. It also eventually led me to Junction City California. Which if I remember correctly was the end destination in the game. It's beautiful there, but still in many ways like the wild west, and the road that leads there is STILL dangerous, the 299 scenic Highway. There's rock slides, hairpin turns, and crazy drivers. One mistake and it's game over.

Haha I just looked it up, I was wrong, the end destination was Oregon city, Oregon.

The first edition of the Oregon Trail game turns 50 this November.

I have fond memories of the game, and how I learned a lot of words from it, like ford, caulk, and dysentery.

As someone who loves cultural geography and history, it played a part in my first trip to Portland, OR to take a detour to Oregon City to visit the end of the trail. I hope someday to visit St. Louis so I can likewise go to Independence to see where it starts.

As a non-driver, unless I find someone with a similar passion and interest who doesn't mind driving, I probably won't get a chance to travel alongside the trail along modern roads and highways, but to me, the story of the trail and those who traversed it makes it as legendary as the better known and one-century-later Route 66.

Articles
Nine Places Where You Can Still See Wheel Tracks from the Oregon Trail
How You Wound Up Playing The Oregon Trail in Computer Class | Innovation | Smithsonian Magazine
Amazing how computer games can turn 50 in 2021 :D

*The Oregon State Song*

Land of the Empire Builders,
Land of the Golden West;
Conquered and held by free men,
Fairest and the best.
Onward and upward ever,
Forward and on, and on;
Hail to thee, Land of Heroes,
My Oregon.

Land of the rose and sunshine,
Land of the summer's breeze;