• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Options for entering chat?

Would you benefit from having a couple options when entering the chatroom?

• Yes

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • No

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

rainfall

Playing in the rain =P
I don't know if this would be plausible or possible. Is there a way to have different options when entering chat due to differences in the way members may prefer to chat?

The only option I can currently think of is spectating or something like it that would notify other chatters the person would like to get acclimated to the chat room before speaking.

I know there can be others but right now I honestly can't think of any. If anyone else can, please do so.

A member has expressed to me that a couple options would be helpful to them as well. Is it possible to do this? Does anyone else feel they may benefit from such an option?

I don’t feel that’s necessary, if I want to spectate I just spectate while I’m in the chat. I’ll talk when I’m good and ready ;)

You could always simply say, "Thanks, just lurking" and nothing else. I'd figure with this crowd few people would take you as being rude in any way. Then if you feel like talking, jump in.

I would like for there to be a way to check private messages without logging into general chat. I don't want to be rude to anyone in general chat but sometimes I don't have the time to talk; I simply need to look at something quickly from a private chat conversation.

on the chat box in the settings menu, there is an option called display mode. with this you can choose to have chat open on any page while on the forums.

using this, you can see what is going on in chat without having to go to the chat page and joining in, perfect for lurking or checking messages.

I am automatically logged into chat and don't have to enter the room. Just make sure you don't leave the chatroom and it should be the same for you as well. Unless you have issues with the blinking chat tab.

I would like a spectating option if such a thing were possible. I would find it useful. I would have checked out chat way sooner if there had been one.

Not everyone feels comfortable (or even would realize they could, like the idea would never occur to them) to say something like, "Just lurking" or "Just listening/spectating".

Thank you all for your replies thus far. :D

What do you mean? What kind of options?

I finally got my brain working a little. ;) I can think of a couple that would be helpful.

1. "Just checking private messages" It could be worded different ways but going with exactly what I mean here. There could be a chatbot message attached to your name that says this when you log in so no one gets confused with symbols or upset and feel ignored if a friendly hi isn't responded to.

2. "New here, checking out chat" This message could ask to not say anything beyond the friendly hello to help the new person get used to chat and not be overwhelmed. Besides myself and the_tortoise, I've noticed many new members log in and out quickly, nervous, but wanting to see how the chat is here. Some have even specifically mentioned the challenge to try it out.

3. "Just listening/spectating" I believe this would be useful for members who are not new but still have difficulty joining chat or that want to lurk to see if they would like to join in the conversation. Yes, you can refresh the chat archive page but that can leave one feeling creepy. At least joining chat, you and the other chatters know you are there.

@Voltaic I'm sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Would you have to join chat initially to access these settings?

@Major Tom I share my computer and sometimes my phone. I always have to logout of the site so this option would not work for me. Thank you for the suggestion as it may work for others. :)

I would like a spectating option if such a thing were possible. I would find it useful. I would have checked out chat way sooner if there had been one.

Not everyone feels comfortable (or even would realize they could, like the idea would never occur to them) to say something like, "Just lurking" or "Just listening/spectating".
I went into chat at about two hours ago said I was too tired to type it was fine

I try and chat occasionally but have never quite gotten the hang of it. Maybe it's just not my thing.

I think that people should be able to use the chat without feeling pressure to join in, that they should feel that they can just observe until they feel ready to join in.

Occasionally, on rare occasions, I join the chat, but I find it hard to:

1. think of things to say.
2. Keep up with and follow the conversation when they are multiple people chatting.
3. I can't type fast enough.
4. I don't always understand or relate to the conversatiuon - cultural differences, different interests, don't always know that the conversation is about.
5. I feel very awkward if I join the conversation and the others leave and there is just one other person and me. It really takes a long time for me to feel comfortable with other people.

I would like for there to be a way to check private messages without logging into general chat. I don't want to be rude to anyone in general chat but sometimes I don't have the time to talk; I simply need to look at something quickly from a private chat conversation.
I would like an option like this too.
As it is I rather choose to have private conversations via PMs (the ones you receive in your inbox) if it's about something I want to look at again some time later. It's easier for me and I don't "disturb" the general chat while looking up something from a previous conversation. Plus, I'm easily notified if there's a new message as soon as I log in.
I also do private messages in chat, but only when I'm chatting anyway. If I don't feel like chatting in general, I won't check my private chat messages either.
1. "Just checking private messages" It could be worded different ways but going with exactly what I mean here. There could be a chatbot message attached to your name that says this when you log in so no one gets confused with symbols or upset and feel ignored if a friendly hi isn't responded to.

2. "New here, checking out chat" This message could ask to not say anything beyond the friendly hello to help the new person get used to chat and not be overwhelmed. Besides myself and the_tortoise, I've noticed many new members log in and out quickly, nervous, but wanting to see how the chat is here. Some have even specifically mentioned the challenge to try it out.

3. "Just listening/spectating" I believe this would be useful for members who are not new but still have difficulty joining chat or that want to lurk to see if they would like to join in the conversation. Yes, you can refresh the chat archive page but that can leave one feeling creepy. At least joining chat, you and the other chatters know you are there.
I like these ideas.
You mentioned that it could be done via a chatbot message. I realized that it is actually possible to create messages like this yourself with the chat command "/me is doing something.". This causes the chatbot to write "[user name] is doing something.".
So you could make the chatbot saying that you're just checking out chat, for example.
However, people who are new to the chat might not be aware of this possibility and if they are already overwhelmed and nervous, they probably won't read the "Help" page to figure out this option and rather log out again quickly as you described. So in my opinion general chat entering options would be particularly helpful for members who are new to the chat.
As an alternative, displaying the already existing options, which are described at the "Help" page, more easily accessible could be helpful. I'm not sure where to show them and how exactly this should look like then though.

New Threads

Top Bottom