• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Optimizing 802.11ac Protocol Signal Strength

Judge

V.I.P Member
Seems a lot of folks out there like me have a lot of issues with the 5.0Ghz band in keeping a consistent wireless signal that won't occasionally drop out. Just curious about this. Has anyone encountered a distinct advantage to using 5.0Ghz channels that have only two digits (Uni I) as opposed to those with three digits (Uni III Category?)

When I originally set up my AC router it automatically selected channel 153 with 20Mhz channel width. Fighting occasional but continual signal drop-offs, I switched to a two-digit channel using 40Mhz channel width and lowering my transmission strength to "medium". So far so good...very stable compared to using those higher channels on the 5.0Ghz spectrum.

Something I stumbled onto when I found this website:

Best 5Ghz Channel For Your Router - Find The Wifi Channel

Also found a freeware app called "WiFi Analyzer" by Matt Hafner on the Microsoft Store to be quite helpful in determining the channels and bands of all my neighbors. Quite a few of them all around me given I live in an apartment complex. This program allowed me to see that using the lower end of the 5.0 channels was to my advantage, and also allowed me to "tweak" my connectivity between my router and my network adapter. Moving the external antennas allowed me to quantitatively achieve "97% improvement" according to this WiFi Analyzer app.

I suppose I could have solved some of such problems using Mesh or extender technology, but it seemed overkill inside a one bedroom apartment. Though this experience has made me a bit skeptical that the 5.0Ghz band is impervious to various types of interference compared to so many devices using the 2.4Ghz band. And that the 5.0Ghz can be damn sensitive to going through walls. However the AC 5.0Ghz protocol allows considerably higher speeds in comparison.

In other words there appear to be tradeoffs when transitioning from 2.4 to 5.0Ghz. The 2.4 band can be quite slow, but it seems rock steady compared to 5.0Ghz. :oops:

Of course I have the ultimate backup where I can always hook up my Ethernet Adapter and end all wireless considerations for around 480Mbps. Of course my provider only gives me up to 200Mbps tops. Still, I like the usability of wireless when it comes to other components like my Smart TV and printer. Though both still utilize only the 2.4Ghz band. And now there's "WiFi 6" to consider. Hopefully the pursuit for a reliable wireless connection will continue to evolve and improve.

Last edited:
I'm not having those issues so much Judge, so far wifi interference has been minimal on the 5Ghz band.
As well I'm pretty sure I locked it all down initially, but I'm going to check everything again and change factory passwords if I didn't already. https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/7-tips-make-wireless-network-secure/

Like you I have 802.11ac which has been fast so far. Few drop offs since I moved to cable. And it seems as if there is little interference, given that few people nearby use it, there are other devices on this connection as well as netflix. And it all seems to run pretty well.

I too like the idea of wifi6. And will look into those links you've included, as I'm curious to know what anyone nearby is using. Thanks

Last edited:
Like you I have 802.11ac which has been fast so far. No drop offs since I moved to cable. And it seems as if there is little interference, given that few people nearby use it, there are other devices on this connection as well as netflix. And it all seems to run pretty well.

I'm guessing that living in a less-populated area sparsely spread over more land certainly helps. Though I'm still a bit dismayed to learn how sensitive the 5.0Ghz band can be within one's own home relative to how many walls and objects a signal may pass through between the router and a network adapter.

My router must transmit about 25 feet through one wall, then deal with a bunch of electronic equipment (my entertainment center) to go in a relatively straight line to a network adapter only inches from the floor. Where moving one or the other would likely cause even more problems. At least I have tweaked the antennas of both to optimize my signal according to the WiFi analyzer app. Still it seems frustrating at times since I used a "G" protocol router for years, with no problems but a rather low connection speed, all before I discovered the joys of streaming media in a pandemic. :oops:

Using that WiFi Analyzer is fascinating though. I can physically walk in between the signal and it will quantitatively lower the percentage of improvement. It's how I was able to manipulate the external antennas to somewhat improve my Internet speed to reflect "97% improvement". Of course this is how I came to realize just how sensitive the 5.0Ghz band can be. When I apply the analyzer app to my 2.4Ghz band, it always starts off showing "100% improved". Slam dunk, but then my speed drops tremendously in comparison.

Last edited:
I'm studying for the A+ and Network+ right now, please let me know what you guys find out. Interested.

New Threads

Top Bottom