• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Only obese person.

Tony Ramirez

Single forever. Friend's
V.I.P Member
I am the only obese person at my church groups. Everyone else is slim and active. I tried to lose weight but it's impossible.

I use to enjoy to go for walks until now I suffer from maskaphobia it makes it almost impossible too.

I have no room for a treadmill and I tried some home exercises but they make me too tired. Right now I stand at 297 lbs.

It takes a lot of effort and determination to lose weight. Not only do you have to do the exercises and keep them up, but you *must* control your food portions. All the exercise in the world aint gonna do anything if the food intake outpaces it.

There are people who have done it though, who have pulled it off. You can do it, if you truly want to. You just gotta fight for it. It's worth it though. That level of weight is very dangerous.

On a side note, I'd never heard of maskaphobia before. That's... a thing. But why would that impact a normal walk routine? I cant imagine that people with masks and costumes exactly roam the streets at random all that much.

I mean, I ran into a pirate and a guy with a top hat and monocle once (I never did figure out why they were there), but... not exactly an every day occurrence.

Issue is complex, and difficult to address now. I think water sports is likely best to start with. Swimming pools and all that. That level needs a special care. Fatigue is likely a heart issue.
The church ppl all still love you too. We have a lady where i go(centers for spiritual living), she had springs in her shoes. Everyone liked her just fine. You will see pity in ppls eyes sometimes, thats normal, they all know that its not your fault. No one blames you for being the way you are, the ppl you know they love you, and want you to be well, thats the haunted look you see.
I know a lady(2) she had the barriatric surgery, still alive and well 10 yrs ago,it was done. and down from over 300 to a size 12, whatever that is. Change is possible. We all love you anyways

I am cutting back on my food. It just I get so hungry at night. Also it's face masks that bother me.

I read there can be a certain type of chemical in your body that increases cravings. So it's not really willpower. You have a chemical issue. l try to fill my belly with lots of soup, veg soups. And lots of popcorn until you feel full. Because you need to trick your senses that you are psychologically full. Cave men sat around and gorged. So in essence we like to feel full. So fill up on grapes, vegtables. I was able to get my SO's weight down using this very principle. He blew up maybe once or twice out of frustration. But l understood him. He lost the weight in about a year and came off the insulin shots. Maybe reward yourself for just sticking to your diet, and not about numbers. You are venturing out and changing something and you will have more energy and be happier. I started during divorce. Diet and divorce -lol. I knew every donut shop around me in walking distance. Then l broke my ankle and couldn't walk to the store. I lived off a protein chip (bag of potato chips). And l loved them. This company is called Quest. The chips have 20 grams of protein. If you consume low calorie protein like 20 grams a meal you may feel a little better. Quest company has now become bigger and offers a wide varity of bars, cookies, chips even pizza. People who body build use them. People losing weight use their products. Everyday is another day to succeed. You got this.

Last edited:
You ought not to need a mask if you are walking outside. Don't stop walking, push yourself to walk farther every day.

297 is very heavy but I have known men and women who tipped the scales in the 4-500 lb. range. There are genetic factors that can make weight easy to gain and difficult to lose. I would go see an endocrinologist and a bariatric physician and be checked out. Some people go with bariatric surgery. There are special diets.

I found I lost 40 lbs just by retiring and then keeping myself busy. Working a frustrating desk job was killing me. Stress, boredom, and sedentary behavior were doing me in.

Don't have an objective other than to be better than you were before. Don't let numbers rule your life. Focus on how you feel and how move. You'll know how you are getting on by the fit of your clothes.

I would recommend some study into why the body stores fat, insulin resistance, etc. There is a series of videos done by Dr. Eric Berg who, in my opinion, explains the whole thing in a simple, and matter-of-fact way. Here is one of his videos and is a good start for learning. Once you understand the reasons why your body is reacting the way it is, then you have the tools to fix the problem.

[Edward]

Some people can't lose weight even if they try and that's alright by me as being comfortable matters more to us.

Host suffers from a minor fear of wearing masks due to having nightmares where she was forced to wear metal face coverings, but it's never been diagnosed. So yeah, it can be really difficult to wear them and she feels far more dissociated when she does. Walking outside makes her anxious and she tends to then have one of us alters be active for her instead since we're better at handling things for her instead.

Home exercises can only do so much and they aren't really that helpful. If you're tired often, don't push yourself to do too much and maybe look into chronic fatigue. Also eating less doesn't always work, for some losing weight depends on restricting certain foods (though this doesn't always work) from their diet-in host's case it's been sugar, gluten, and dairy for the most part. Host is under 116 pounds at the moment which is very concerning to us as a system as she's not that active.

Thanks I don't feel so alone Edward. I wish I can meet more people like your friend who like me suffers with fear of masks.

If only my uncle would let me get an treadmill but he says there is no room and whatever he says stays.

297 is nothing for a guy. 297 is like an average weight for many men where I live in the Pacific NW. I'd say a majority of women would date and find attractive a big guy.

Besides, when you're at church, It's not the place people will judge about stuff like that, and if they do, then they are not mature in their Christian walk, and need to be prayed for.

Also, I understand your fear of people in facemasks. I feel similarly. But for me it's that I can't read facial expressions and I have to see if the person is smiling or frowning to tell their intent when they speak. They all look like villains to me when they're masking. And in my state, we have the strictest mask mandate in the country. It sucks.

Look like villains and psychos. Even the attractive girls look like crazed killers.

As for the Church you are right, none of them not one girls, guys and couples ever mentioned that I was fat, obese or overweight.

I assume that because you weigh nearly 300 pounds, you have a food addiction, is that right? In which case, dieting and exercise will do nothing for you unless you first and foremost seek counseling, get treatment for addiction, and build self-esteem by replacing the time you spend depressed and eating with doing something constructive, such as learning a new skill or going back to school, etc. Obesity is very serious, and food addiction should be taken as seriously as other addictions. Exercise and diet all you want...but until you deal with your psychological issues, you won’t lose weight.

Perhaps you should analyze why you fear people with masks. Do you associate it with some movie you saw or something you saw in the news or something somebody told you? There's likely a logical explanation, since the fear is illogical in and of itself.

Everyone can lose weight. Eat or drink nothing with calories. You will lose weight, 100% guaranteed.

Or continue eating the same food and exercise a whole lot more. A little more won't help. Take a big effort to burn a few extra calories and cardio is best for it. If you just do weight lifting, you may still not lose weight but increasing muscle mass at the expense of fat is still a good thing.

The problem is that many of us have powerful genes to protect us from the next famine which will be right around the corner. Cut back on eating and those genes kick in. Metabolism drops and to further prevent loss of body fat, you become listless to ensure you don't waste energy. Makes intentional weight loss difficult.

Food is essentially free. There is no barrier to our consuming high-calorie everything we want, all the time. At the same time, there is no need for most of us to ever do any labor. Eating lots of food and being lazy are normal for most humans. We have paleolithic bodies in an age of ease and plenty. Some people simply have more genes for famine resistance than others.

You can only live minutes without air and days without water. But most of us can live months without food.

I've never been overweight so I can't give you a take on that perspective. But I've been underweight most of my life until recently, and as far as I know our bodies work pretty much the same when it comes to these things. Sure, some have a harder time than others but it fundamentally works the same way.
The past 5 years or so I've put on 10kg, now that's not a lot in 5 years but I didn't start exercising seriously until about a year ago and for me it feels like a big achievement. Dieting is the hardest part as trying to eat more than your stomach can handle isn't very pleasant, sometimes painful. But I wasn't able to gain those 10kg if I hadn't faced my fears and started going to the gym

If you really want to lose weight you must take it seriously, there's so much information online and it doesn't have to be complicated in any way. Walking doesn't do much of anything when it comes to losing weight, walking is probably the easiest type of exercise there is, you need high intensity exercise.
I don't know what home exercise you did but the fact that you get tired is GOOD, when you're tired it means your exercise is working. You also need to eat less than what you're used to which I can understand will be hard, and you will have to look into new types of food to eat. But look at it this way: since you buy less food you're going to save a lot of money!

Is there anyone in your church group, friend or family that regularly exercises? Maybe you can ask them to tag along if that would make your more comfortable. If not ask if they want to come with you and you can start together.

It really just comes down to commitment. Committing yourself to proper dieting and exercise isn't easy, it's hard and sometimes scary especially in the beginning but there really is no other way around it. If it was easy we'd all look like we belong on bay watch but most of us don't.

Good luck!

New Threads

Top Bottom