• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

One Small Step for Autism...Autism & Evolution - a Perspective

Autistamatic

He's just this guy, you know?
V.I.P Member
If anyone's interested - here's my take on a topic that comes up every now and again, and did so recently on this very forum.

Narrative: The World's Online Journal

blog2.png

Not too long ago I read an article by an NT anthropologist/archaeologist type that came to somewhat similar conclusions. They speculated that the autistic cave person could have different skill sets or strengths that added to the groups survivability. Heightened alert sense was also a possibility they predicted. Others they surmised were being good at certain tasks that required extended patience or that were repetitive/tedious. Examples they gave were spear fishing and collecting tiny berries. I think your idea on thinking outside the cave quite valid, and useful, whether its 20,000 BC or 2100 AD.

Yes, the "autistic supremacists" misunderstand evolution, as do all people who advocate for the "supremacy" of one group over the rest of humanity, be it Caucasian or African (Black) or Chinese or etc. The problem is not with us, but with a society that has narrowed the range of "acceptability" to a point where increasing numbers of people are forced out of society. Autism had evolutionary advantages not only in humanity's distant paleolithic past, but in the agricultural societies that began forming around 10,000 years BP, and even in the early industrial societies in England and Germany beginning around 1700 CE. Our society has become specialized to the extent that the only way to feed oneself is to program computers or move imaginary "money" through worldwide computer networks in increasingly esoteric ways. Assembling the computers is done in China, and everything else is done either by robots or quasi-slave labor that is imported from elsewhere. Millions sit idle when they don't have to.

add another view I was created by God I didn't evolve so I'm another type of autistic person

Even if that's your belief, you still understand that our societies have evolved from more primitive ones even if you don't believe our species did. Our place as Autistics has lost value since civilisations have come to over-value conformity and dogmatic, unquestioning obedience over innovation and independent thought.

Even if that's your belief, you still understand that our societies have evolved from more primitive ones even if you don't believe our species did. Our place as Autistics has lost value since civilisations have come to over-value conformity and dogmatic, unquestioning obedience over innovation and independent thought.
what do you consider independent thought ?

You are such a good writer, and the photos you used are beautiful! I wish I had the ability to create such a well-written article. I wasn't aware that you have a blog, and look forward to viewing it...

You are such a good writer, and the photos you used are beautiful! I wish I had the ability to create such a well-written article. I wasn't aware that you have a blog, and look forward to viewing it...

Thank you @Loren you're too kind :)
I don't "have a blog" as such, but I've started contributing ideas that don't really work as scripts (or I don't have the resources to make) as posts on the narrative dot org platform. Posts are categorised as you choose them. Mine will always be under ActuallyAutistic category, which is curated by someone else on the spectrum and is entirely posts related to autism BY autistic people. There's some good posts from other contributors worth reading too :)

I put us down as shaman.

Our intense focus, translated as a trance like state.

Our communication with spirits an interpretation of the strange things we say,giving it meaning and importance.

The shaman a formal role,given status. Enfolded in mystery encapsulated by communication differences.

A different way of seeing the world,formulated within the tribe utilisiing that different way of thinking.
A way to ritualise moving away from the baser instincts of human actions.

I put us down as shaman.

Our communication with spirits an interpretation of the strange things we say,giving it meaning and importance.

The shaman a formal role,given status. Enfolded in mystery encapsulated by communication differences.

A different way of seeing the world,formulated within the tribe utilisiing that different way of thinking.
do you ever think about posting a dictionary of the words you've learned on this forum I forgotten so many I've forgotten so much Shakespeare and you still remember a lot of it

do you ever think about posting a dictionary of the words you've learned on this forum I forgotten so many I've forgotten so much Shakespeare and you still remember a lot of it

I've learned some,made up a few :)

I think there's s thread of made up words (neologisms)

I put us down as shaman.

Indeed - and as Seers. Being able to logically run a course of events coupled with heightened observational skills would have allowed some of us to "predict" the future with seemingly supernatural accuracy. We wouldn't have got it right all the time of course, but enough to give the impression of otherworldly gifts.

Of course once the cult of conformity started taking over Europe, the wise people, healers, seers, shaman and more were characterised as witches and consorts of demons. I shudder to think how many of our ancestors were burned at the stake or were victims of the ducking stool

Being able to logically run a course of events coupled with heightened observational skills would have allowed some of us to "predict" the future with seemingly supernatural accuracy.

My wife has a joke about that.

Which is that there is a magic microphone in our living room, picking up everything I say, then making it happen.

Started by her observing so many things I've said that have come true.

once the cult of conformity started taking over Europe, the wise people, healers, seers, shaman and more were characterised as witches and consorts of demons. I shudder to think how many of our ancestors were burned at the stake or were victims of the ducking stool

There's a reason we aren't taught about the nature of how we are influenced.

I think a lot of that is to do with power.

As society became more complex,more traditional ways,could be seen as a threat by certain power structures (religion, as one).

The stories attached - witches,etc,is perhaps an example of how language is used emotionally.
Some obviously believed in witches but many I'm sure knew what they were doing - but would never say it out loud.

Last weeks episode (S02e07) of "American Gods" was a very good dramatised illustration of how this happened. It tells the story of "Mad Sweeney" - a real life leprechaun in the modern day and how the Irish people's belief in "the fair folk" was distorted by the authority figures of the day into a mix of evil spirits and anachronistic jokes.
It's fiction and is personifying an "Old God" as a bitter modern day being who has lost his identity, but it takes a real life slice of history and portrays it in an inventive and accessible way.

"
"They", don't care much for us, as a breed, because we're problematic and aren't very domesticable.

Woof.
:dogface:

My wife has a joke about that.

Which is that there is a magic microphone in our living room, picking up everything I say, then making it happen.

Started by her observing so many things I've said that have come true.

There's a reason we aren't taught about the nature of how we are influenced.

I think a lot of that is to do with power.

As society became more complex,more traditional ways,could be seen as a threat by certain power structures (religion, as one).

The stories attached - witches,etc,is perhaps an example of how language is used emotionally.
Some obviously believed in witches but many I'm sure knew what they were doing - but would never say it out loud.
I love this.

I live every moment of every day feeling like Bradley Cooper in Limitless.
Trapped in the role of Chicken Little.

The sky is falling, but nobody believes it, sees it, cares about it.

If I broach the subject, I'm immediately told that there's no such thing as sky, there's no such thing as falling, and there surely ain't no such thing as "sky, falling".

If I try to prop the sky up, someone comes along, kicks my support out from under it.

If I ask why, it's "because it wasn't doing anything".

"Then why destroy it?"

"It wasn't doin' nothin'."

:emojiconfused:

I love this.

I live every moment of every day feeling like Bradley Cooper in Limitless.
Trapped in the role of Chicken Little.

The sky is falling, but nobody believes it, sees it, cares about it.

If I broach the subject, I'm immediately told that there's no such thing as sky, there's no such thing as falling, and there surely ain't no such thing as "sky, falling".

If I try to prop the sky up, someone comes along, kicks my support out from under it.

If I ask why, it's "because it wasn't doing anything".

"Then why destroy it?"

"It wasn't doin' nothin'."

:emojiconfused:

It's tough turning those things around but for each circumstance, I try to think of something.

Just to satisfy me.

The idea,obviously, not to harm anyone.

Another one I use is ,after some mistake, or someone gets petty about something -

'Thats just the way things are around here'

Or

That's the way I roll..

'

Not to be rude, but I kinda find this type of theory incredibly dumb. I know you have the best of intentions, but here is why it's poorly thought out.
Since human evolution takes tens of thousands of years for significant changes to take hold, it's clear that "Homo Autisticus" has been around for a long time, which means there must have been distinct survival advantages to being autistic in primitive societies. We held value which led us to be protected by our tribal fellows, or maybe even it was us who provided some of the protection? What might those advantages have been, and how did they become less valued in modern societies?
Right here, you are completely ignoring low-functioning autistics, along with the many disadvantages that Autism brings to all on the spectrum.

For evolution to occur, there must be a gene mutation that is advantageous. Therefore, it mustn't have an downsides to it. However, Autism DOES have downsides. While some Autistics may have increased intelligence, those on the low end often have very serious and highly impeding learning disabilities. Therefore, Autism ISN'T an evolution.

This is not a evolution. This is elitism. Especially since you made up the word, "homo autisticus." Sorry, but no NT will take your theory seriously, whether they believe in evolution or not. You're basically saying that you're superior to everybody else, which, whether you like it or not, you're still a homo sapien.

New Threads

Top Bottom