• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

One of "those" days

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Frustrated...

I'm in the middle of my big annual Remembrance Day photo project, asking people on the street if I can take their photo while wearing their poppy... As I always say how un-Aspie as that sounds...

Anyway... Normally this close to Remembrance Day I head out on Saturday and get lots of photos, typically at least ten

This year? I was lucky to get six photos, at one point between yesterday afternoon and this morning I had about 15 "no's" in a row, then got five portraits, then hit the wall again, every "no" was drilled into my head in bouts of frustration, I feel miserable right now

I feel like a failure because I just haven't had the results I want, not even close, whether number of photos, the overall quality of most of them, or heard any good stories from anyone

Most any year I had enough good results by the end of today to take it easy on Sunday, again this year I feel like I have to try again tomorrow (Sunday), or maybe I try too hard, probably am...

The good from today:

We Remember 02.jpg

And the awful, not sure I'll ever use this for anything, although I did have a nice conversation with her

We Remember 03.jpg

Please elaborate.

Why is the picture of the younger woman "good" and
the picture of the older woman "awful"?

I quite like both photos. Particularly, the contrast between the subject and the background, in each of the photos. I like the contrasts in lighting, as well as the crispness of the subjects with the out-of-focus/blurred backgrounds.

I'm sorry that you didn't get as many photos as you'd hoped to, but, glad you were able to take a few, anyway.

Please elaborate.

Why is the picture of the younger woman "good" and
the picture of the older woman "awful"?

@Loren

In the second photo the lack of eye contact, technically for narrow depth of field it's fine but at that brief moment there was zero engagement with her, that comment doesn't reflect on the conversation I had...

@Loren

In the second photo the lack of eye contact, technically for narrow depth of field it's fine but at that brief moment there was zero engagement with her, that comment doesn't reflect on the conversation I had...
Ah, I understand. Well, it it is a nice photo, visually, and, perhaps, it could be interpreted differently? Just a thought, but, I understand how what you've described could be frustrating.

Ah, I understand. Well, it it is a nice photo, visually, and, perhaps, it could be interpreted differently? Just a thought, but, I understand how what you've described could be frustrating.

I don't ever ask anyone how to pose, but the eyes need to be strong, some people choose not to look directly at the camera but have good eye engagement, like this one below, (I've done this project since 2007!) in that brief moment the older lady just looks spaced out...

We Remember 04.jpg

@Loren

You want *eye contact* in each photo?

The picture of the older woman looked to me to be
one of a person reflecting on the past and the
reasons for wearing the poppy.

The younger woman's stance looks like "well, here I
am, take the picture" and the arms across her plus
the glasses keep a person at a distance.

You want *eye contact* in each photo?

The picture of the older woman looked to me to be
one of a person reflecting on the past and the
reasons for wearing the poppy.

The younger woman's stance looks like "well, here I
am, take the picture" and the arms across her plus
the glasses keep a person at a distance.

I do see what you're saying, yes to someone who photographs people, either formal portraits, even informal candid street photography (depending on the situation) the eyes are very important

Something to think about it, we shall see

I actually really like the photo of the older woman. I get such a warm, congenial feeling from her, more than just some centered portrait. I can feel through her expression that she is a jolly, kind woman with a lot to say.

I always did prefer candid shots. They feel more human.

Another day, my last day for this project ... But still feeling down but ran into an artist/photography friend this afternoon... I felt like I could be honest with him

He knows me fairly well and suggested that sometimes it's best to wave the white flag and I suspect it shows on my face and demeanour when approaching people...

So that is what I have decided to do and simply work with what I've got, which is still less than what I want...

Is it wrong to admit a failure? Which is still what I feel right now o_O

You're not a failure. I love the photos. I didn't go to school for it, but I was once a professional photographer and your skill outdoes anything I ever did.

I actually really like the photo of the older woman. I get such a warm, congenial feeling from her, more than just some centered portrait. I can feel through her expression that she is a jolly, kind woman with a lot to say.

I always did prefer candid shots. They feel more human.

I concur.

The older lady photo has the appearance of a still from a random street interview whereas the one of the younger lady with the crossed arms looks contrived.

You are an excellent photographer @Sherlock77 .
constructive criticism:
I like the composition in the older woman’s photo. Her form is in front of the street, which keeps my attention with her. Where is she headed, is she walking far, what is in her daypack?
Whereas in the first photo, the person taking the picture seems to have been focusing on the poppy pinned to her chest. Her form is in between a doorway, and the “pull” of the sidewalk & street.
My eye, because of this, feels confused, more interested in her surroundings than in her.

@Sherlock77- You bring up a good point. One intensely frustrating for anyone into impromptu portrait photography, outside the considerations of a studio and a model who can take direction.

Which is something that frankly I'd have a lot of difficulty with. My hat's off to you in pursuing your passion, though we know what you are doing isn't easy. You aren't a failure at all. Keep going.

@Sherlock77- You bring up a good point. One intensely frustrating for anyone into impromptu portrait photography, outside the considerations of a studio and a model who can take direction.

Which is something that frankly I'd have a lot of difficulty with. My hat's off to you in pursuing your passion, though we know what you are doing isn't easy. You aren't a failure at all. Keep going.

In all the years I've done this (since 2007), I've never asked people to smile, not smile, etc... and any other variations around that, just to be themselves

In all the years I've done this (since 2007), I've never asked people to smile, not smile, etc... and any other variations around that, just to be themselves

Indeed, it's a terribly random, impromptu process. Something that will never likely change in soliciting photos of people on the street. Not to mention that these days people seem a bit more reticent to be photographed, worried that their image might end up on the Internet in an unintended manner.

A very different dynamic from photographing a model or someone you know under far more controlled circumstances. I eventually sold all my studio lighting equipment. LOL...ran out of girlfriends more than willing to be photographed, but only for my non-commercial personal photo collection. It was fun while it lasted...but it was very easy in comparison. I've never attempted to photograph a particular person I did not know personally.

Yet it's imperative to just let them be themselves...and hope that perhaps out of 100, one of them just might deliver what you are looking for. Kind of like prospecting.

Last edited:
I thought the picture of the old lady was wonderful; she's thoughtful and reflective in the picture (even if you caught her in a distracted moment.) Your pictures are quite good.

Another day, my last day for this project ... But still feeling down but ran into an artist/photography friend this afternoon... I felt like I could be honest with him

He knows me fairly well and suggested that sometimes it's best to wave the white flag and I suspect it shows on my face and demeanour when approaching people...

So that is what I have decided to do and simply work with what I've got, which is still less than what I want...

Is it wrong to admit a failure? Which is still what I feel right now o_O
A failure? Hardly. It seems you are holding yourself to some arbitrary number. The shots you got are nice. My mom was in the CWAC at the Central Mechanization Depot in London, Ontario. We knew the holiday as Armistice Day. Nice to see younger people marking the horror of WWI. England lost a generation of men.

A failure? Hardly. It seems you are holding yourself to some arbitrary number. The shots you got are nice. My mom was in the CWAC at the Central Mechanization Depot in London, Ontario. We knew the holiday as Armistice Day. Nice to see younger people marking the horror of WWI. England lost a generation of men.

Maybe o_O... But it is based on previous experience... Maybe having too much of an expectation, and maybe I'm making too much of a big deal of this anyway...

New Threads

Top Bottom