• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

one of the few things that annoys me when talking to people

whenever I'm talking to someone about something and all of a sudden the other person starts to laugh when i didn't particularly say anything that was a laughing matter, i get annoyed and start to wonder why? maybe it could be the sound of my voice? i don't think my voice is the best but i would never fake another voice or accent. i just don't get people sometimes. does anybody feel the same way as i do?

It can be hard because there are so many variables. It's hard to say from your post what they might be laughing at but it may not be anything bad at all. You could ask. Particularly if you know someone who your friendship is pretty secure with. Then put the question to them.

I think that sometimes people laugh at the unusual circumstances of a story you are telling and find that to be humorous, not the serious nature of the effects of that situation. If the laughter seems inappropriate, you might consider asking why the story is funny, presuming that it is serious and not to be a joke.

I think that sometimes people laugh at the unusual circumstances of a story you are telling and find that to be humorous, not the serious nature of the effects of that situation.
Yes for many people, and often myself included, to laugh about serious things is a way of coping a bit better with the fact that life is hard and crappy things sometime or even often happen.

Sometimes it accidentally just happens. One time my aunt was telling me about how her friend crashed on a mountain bike and hit his head on a rock and died. I did kind of a surprised awkward laugh without meaning to. It was more like a "omg thats unbelievable" kind of laugh. In this situation, I guess it was a kind of instinct reaction to something awful.

Same thing happened when a stranger told me about her husband dying on a motorcycle.

I didn't think either of these situations were funny at all but it was like a body response to it to cope with hearing something like that if that makes sense. I've heard some people laugh at funerals because that's their way of coping with things.

I've often asked, what's so funny, what did i say?
The response is always, its now WHAT you said it's HOW you said it, and they all laugh some more...
So i'll ask how else should i say it...and they crack up even more!

Oh, I've laughed at the most inappropriate times when something serious just hit me funny. Thank goodness, it's usually around those who know me and know I'm not laughing at the seriousness and understand the seriousness, just something weird about it made me laugh. Like my sister telling me how she fell holding her grandson and I could not stop laughing even though I knew it wasn't funny. She ended up laughing too though.

New Threads

Top Bottom