• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

On treating writing like it is a second job.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
As some of you are aware, I am planning to start up a movie/anime/TV criticism website. I have been treating my content creation of this project like it is a second job, essentially. I want to ensure that my new website has a steady and reliable stream of new content every week.

Of course, this also means I am watching movies I don't want to watch just so I can critique them. But there is a certain joy in that, as well. And sometimes I am surprised and actually like those examples.

Does anybody else here treat a hobby like a second job?

I've done it before, sort of. Thing is I dont have a FIRST job. So, uh, the concept is a little bent, but you get the idea.

In my case, it's typically related to game design and/or testing. I dont do it professionally. And I sure dont do it all the time. But every now and then, the opportunity presents itself, and once I get started on something... like REALLY get started on something... I'll approach it obsessively. I also review games on Steam (and yes, my reviews get a LOT of attention) and that's a whole other type of work.

The one issue I found though is that it's easy to get burned out, and THAT doesnt help. Like, I've mentioned the game I helped make, right? I've no idea if anyone remembers that. But I did it, it was contracted work for an indie dev, and it was pretty intense. Not only a lot of working on the game, but I also had to play it. A lot. Like, A LOT. And then came the expansions after. Even more to make and even more to test. And due to the nature of the game (heavy amount of prodecural elements) this made the testing extra difficult.

And when it was all said and done... I didnt want to so much as look at the bloody thing for MONTHS. Which is still stupid to me. That first time of achieving a childhood dream and REALLY making something, and the process of doing so burns me out to the point where it's quite awhile before I want to go near it again.

So... yeah, be careful of that. It can happen to anyone. Working on something like what you want to do is great and all, just... dont push it too much. All good things in moderation or whatever the saying is. Is that even a saying, or did I make that up just now? I dont know.

I do poetry parables and feature books and pets on my blog and social media. I also critique on a pretty regular basis. (I also work with undergraduate students who get a referral, (some of that work is pro-bono, but a majority is supplemental income which I am accredited enough to charge for.)

When I was working for Cat, I took my service truck home every day. So it was pretty obvious that I was a mechanic to the neighbors. It did not take long to develope "friendly neighborhood mechanic syndrome". Everybody needed something fixed and I would do it. Luckly everone wanted to pay me. I made a exrta $200 or so every month and they were saving money. It was a win-win situation.

And when it was all said and done... I didnt want to so much as look at the bloody thing for MONTHS. Which is still stupid to me. That first time of achieving a childhood dream and REALLY making something, and the process of doing so burns me out to the point where it's quite awhile before I want to go near it again.
All part of the process though, not a bad thing. You have to cut it off from yourself and move on from the space you were in to create it. Otherwise you can't ever start on the next thing. It's not a great feeling sure, but even if it takes a year or two, once you can look back and go "oh hey neat I made that" it's all worth it.

I don't treat my hobbies like a job, but I do my special interests like a job. What ever catches my eye, I go deep and long.

Yes definitely I do, and my job has been a special interest too. That's been quite satisfying. Glad to hear you are getting into this. It could maybe turn into a job? My voluntary work as a counsellor gained me additional training and a part time then full-time job, and work as a trainer.

When I was working for Cat, I took my service truck home every day. So it was pretty obvious that I was a mechanic to the neighbors. It did not take long to develope "friendly neighborhood mechanic syndrome". Everybody needed something fixed and I would do it. Luckly everone wanted to pay me. I made a exrta $200 or so every month and they were saving money. It was a win-win situation.

I worked in my spare time as an auto mechanic for years. Made a lot of money doing it, people are very grateful to have someone honest and not charging part mark up or crazy dealer labor hours. Stopped doing it because any major component replacement requires dealer programming. Unfortunately inflation and gas prices have been hitting us hard so I've been picking up small jobs on older cars again.

I've also tried writing some automotive articles for sites such as jalopnick but never heard back.

New Threads

Top Bottom