• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

On the problem of perception

Neonatal RRT

V.I.P Member
One of the topics that is often brought up here on the forums is this concept of perception and context. I believe every human being has a struggle with perception,...and context, but for many autistics, this is particularly difficult. Daily, we see people on this forum discussing some problem they have with a person, a group, an event, something said,...whatever,...obviously, their perception bothered them enough to create a thread,...perhaps to obtain some better understanding of their situation. I often make a concerted effort with taking pause, considering my perception,...the other person's perception,...and then trying to formulate a response that is appropriate. It's a mental exercise, for sure. Sure enough, today, on a thread, someone called me out on just that,...I'm OK with it,...mental note to one's self,...better luck next time.

So, I stumbled across this lecture, on just this topic,...perception. I got a few minutes into it,...the "engineer" in me started to think, "How can I use this information?" I've viewed several interviews with Jordan Peterson before. He can be a polarizing personality,...but after some pause, and pushing back one's emotional response, one realizes he does have good arguments,...but I digress. So, here he is at the University of Cambridge, standing in front of a group of his peers,...they didn't appear to be students,...discussing the problem of perception.

As an autistic, I am thinking to myself, "How does this information pertain to cognitive empathy,...the "mind blindness",...or lack of "theory of mind" that many of us struggle with." As no surprise, as the lecture went on, everyone seems to have their issues with it.

Last edited:
I often make a concerted effort with taking pause, considering my perception,...the other person's perception,...and then trying to formulate a response that is appropriate.

I would say most of my responses are just complete gut reactions, no thought whatsoever.

In writing, I can formulate things.

In real life I operate completely off instinct 95% of the time.

I almost never take into consideration other people pov, when talking.

To do so sounds very laborious. Almost like I'm studying them for an exam.

Not that I don't listen. I hear the words. I can detect basic emotional states.

But what is appropriate or not. That's not formulated. I just react.

Jordan Peterrson. I don't have any preconditioned emotional response.
I go in and listen to what a person has to say. It's a blank slate.
I appraise them by their own word, not 2nd hand reports about a person.

That each person have their own way to percieve and understand things was a very natural assumtion I had for so many years.

But this assumtion was eroded slowly while I realized that It was me who percieved and understood reality in the most different way.

So the thing that amazes me now is how are NT wired to share perceptions and understandings (including mistakes) so well. There are differences between them, sure, but if we had a town of autists those differences between autists would be many times bigger than the differences between NT.

Interesting topic. :)

I usually just say whatever I’m thinking. Saying it in writing gives me more of a chance to say it appropriately, thoughtfully, articulately, and helpfully though.

I tend to not hold back from speaking my mind :p
But if it has the potential to be interpreted as offensive or overly controversial, I generally take a lot of care to say it respectfully, while still getting my point across. I try to take all perspectives and opinions into account. However… there are some things I strongly disagree with on a moral level.

I am the absolute worst at filtering myself verbally :oops:

I like to take perceptions and skillfully meld it into a spaghetti sauce, then we all feel validated. Because perceptions aren't really wrong or right, they just are.

Because perceptions aren't really wrong or right, they just are.

...and this is where we find ourselves in arguments sometimes,...this distinction between what is factual, measurable, repeatable "truth" and what is perception,...your personal "truth".

Political strategists are masters at recognizing this core concept and use it for dividing people for the purposes of creating a voting population. Take someone from the inner city and put them up against someone from a rural area. Take someone from a low income bracket vs. high income. Religious folks vs non-religious. Men vs. women. Whatever the issue,...there are ways to divide people because of their different personal truths or perceptions. Some people truly live in a different world than you,...and what they see daily might seem quite foreign to you,...so of course, you can pick up a topic of discussion and there is going to be different perceptions.

This is where we can get ourselves into a lot of trouble as a society. Civil wars have been triggered as a result of the unwillingness to respect each other's perceptions,...and an unwillingness to collect our measurable data to understand the facts in an unbiased and meaningful way. It's so easy to laugh at, or get angry with what seems like "bad behavior", or a "bad idea", or "thinking errors",...I think everyone is guilty of it. However, when we step back and understand this concept that everyone has a different perception, then we open our minds to understanding each other and being better citizens. This requires some self-restraint and mental energy not to just react in the moment. It is hard,...especially for some of us with "quick wits" that can result us "blurting out" some comment. Sometimes it's an attempt at humor,...guilty of it. Sometimes it's to be critical,...guilty of it. Either way, it's probably not the best way to deal with people.

I am learning and trying.

New Threads

Top Bottom