• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

On "A curious incident of the dog in the nighttime"

Lycoris

Soft colors smell quiet.
What do you think of the book A Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime? Recently, one of my friends is writing an essay about this book, and I am very curious about how the book is perceived in this community.

For others who might be interested the blurb reads: A bestselling modern classic—both poignant and funny—about a boy with autism who sets out to solve the murder of a neighbor's dog and discovers unexpected truths about himself and the world.

@Lycoris I can't really answer your question as I haven't read it but I might put it on my (very long) I-want-to-read-this list.

I enjoyed it, have read it several times, and twice read it aloud to others.

It's important to remember that the book is fiction.

"In July 2009, Haddon wrote on his blog that 'Curious Incident is not a book about Asperger's... if anything it's a novel about difference, about being an outsider, about seeing the world in a surprising and revealing way. The book is not specifically about any specific disorder,' and that he, Haddon, is not an expert on autism spectrum disorder or Asperger syndrome."
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Wikipedia

I found parts of it to be engaging, others to be a bit of a caricature. I thought the Monty Hall problem was well placed as it is a rather simple problem that, for whatever reason, many people can't get; even when it's explained in detail. My mother, who is a physicist, had trouble with the logic of it. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I think it would be pretty simple for most autistic people. So I liked that aspect.

I was told much of it, the way he acts, is there for comedy but I didn't find much all that funny about it.

It is better than most media dealing with autistic people.

It's been out a good while, I read it some years ago and enjoyed it, and I also saw a dramatisation of it. No one's typical of autism as it's so varied, but he was an interesting and believable character I thought.

New Threads

Top Bottom