• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Older woman in need of advice

grooviechickie

Hello everyone,

I have read a few books now and realised that I have many characteristics that appear to be high-functioning Asperger's (or is it Autism? I'm not sure of the terminology).

I am an Aussie living in France, so finding a professional who a) speaks English* and b) might be able to offer a diagnosis one way or the other** is almost out of the question.

*I can 'get by' in French, but discussing my psychological issues in French would be extremely difficult, if not impossible, at this point
**The French are way behind most of the rest of the world with their understanding, support, and general acceptance of ASD unless it is very noticeable and/or severe

So I thought it's time to reach out online and see if there are a few people who might be able to offer me some deeper understanding of what the hell is going on with me. I'm about to turn 48.

Cheers,
GC

upload_2019-6-11_13-1-36.png

The terminology changes from place to place. Here in the US some of the old separate diagnoses, like Aspergers, were discontinued and it is just Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) now subdivided into three levels.

Level 1: Requiring support
Level 2: Requiring substantial support
Level 3: Requiring very substantial support

Although not official classifications the terms High and Low functioning are often used to describe people depending on the severity of symptoms.

Hello & welcome.
I am an Aussie living in France,...
So, you're an Aussie autie, then...?

Besides visiting here, check out the webpages & newsletters available at English websites on the matter (like those on my own USA Resources page).

I believe that your own Dr. Tony Attwood has such webpages, too. And order books or ebooks in English.

Have you though about seeing someone over in the UK. They're just a hop over the pond and they all speak English. It maybe a lot easier to go there then trying to go back to your home country.

Hi there and thanks to Kirsty nd, I can give you hope.

I live in France to, but come from the uk. Live in the Brittany area and therefore, if you are living in Paris, I can guarantee that you have tons of options in English and pretty sure, that if you do not live in Paris, you have hope.

I see a French psychiatrist and my husband accompanies me due to the language difficulties. In fact, we both suspect he is not French native as it is VERY hard to understand him, yet generally I do not do that bad in French.

My husband brought up the subject of seeking a diagnosis for aspergers and really, it was "all plain sailing". I got an appointment with a neuropsychologist and it was only 30 mins away from us. I did the aspie quiz with her, which vastly amused me and tests on IQ ( I gather) and understanding emotions. I saw her twice. Then, she got an appointment with an expert in autism based in Vannes. He saw me twice too and the second visit, he diagnosed me formally on the ASD spectrum. Grade 2-3. Oh, and depending on where you live: it was LOUDEAC in the cote d'amour, that I went to do the testing.

I am now en route to see if the government will aid me financially and my psychiatrist informed that it was rather late in coming, but not too late. I am already registered as disabled ( my aspieness wants to correct them, but I stop myself, because it will go against me).

In fact, before I took the plunge to get formally diagnosed, I try to reconcile that I was never going to get one, as all over the internet, it was bad news. France does not recognise aspergers, which is incorrect now. Yep, it could have been year's ago, but I do not have the classic signs and yet, I got a formal diagnosis fast and going towards the severe end of the spectrum. Because of not being able to function outside on my own.

That is very interesting about the three levels, Tom. Thank you for that information.

Hello to my fellow Franglais, Suzanne! I live in Perpignan, right down south near the Spanish border with my French partner. It's very VERY interesting what you are saying about getting help here. I have seen stuff about ASD on the news etc. recently, and it does seem like there might be hope. I really should seek out more information about it. Thank you! :hearteyes:

And hello to everyone else! Thank you for the warm welcome. Love your work.

And Freediver, I was considering it. I am a dual citizen (Australian and English) but I'm not sure how the system works over in the UK.

And Freediver, I was considering it. I am a dual citizen (Australian and English) but I'm not sure how the system works over in the UK.

NHS route - referral by GP, other health professional.
Placed on waiting list.

(I think) Two parts to assessment.
1) Initial interview/assessment.

Dependant on the outcome of Pt 1 will determine whether or not it's worth continuing onto pt2 with you.

Some private providers also offer assessments. Approximately two thousand pounds in total for both parts.

Some assessors use DISCO to diagnose, some ADOS-2

That's as much fact as I know so far.

That is very interesting about the three levels, Tom. Thank you for that information.

Hello to my fellow Franglais, Suzanne! I live in Perpignan, right down south near the Spanish border with my French partner. It's very VERY interesting what you are saying about getting help here. I have seen stuff about ASD on the news etc. recently, and it does seem like there might be hope. I really should seek out more information about it. Thank you! :hearteyes:

And hello to everyone else! Thank you for the warm welcome. Love your work.

First, go to your dr and ask for a letter to be given to a psychiatrist stating that you want to find out if you are on the asd spectrum. They say they have heard of aspergers, but in fact, they are glued to ASD.

You might have to consider travelling though, because the further down one is in France, I have been told that a mental attitude of snobbery exists and just perhaps, that might stunt you into seeking help.

But hey, unless you try, you won't know. I took the courage and tried and was successful.

UK from what I heard, has a very long waiting list.

My experience with getting diagnosed here in France, says that within 2 months, you aught to receive a diagnosis and that is, if they want to make sure. They were so thorough with me, that it has enabled my husband to fully embrace me having aspergers.

My appointments were so quick in coming. So, I am guessing if one is a clear cut case, so to speak, they will have no issue of waiting.

not all areas of the UK offer a service for adults, unfortunately: various regions seem to set their own criteria for which services they can fund, and I'm aware of at least one person who couldn't get a formal diagnosis in their area and had to find a different route to get the concessions they needed for work. Where I live, there is a service, but it's indicated that it is getting swamped with requests for assessments, and I'd not be surprised if they don't decide they can't offer them any more at some point, as the NHS is getting more and more squeezed for cash. My wait was about four or five months I think, which is actually quite good from what I hear. I prepared for my assessment by doing an ASQ 50, and also the aspie quiz - and as the local service automatically screens for ADHD at the same time, did that too, and took the results to my GP, who referred me on.
I did also look into what it'd cost to get assessed privately - and the answer, sadly, is thousands :( .
Very best of luck getting your assessment - it's never too late, I was diagnosed at a later age than you :) .

...My wait was about four or five months I think, which is actually quite good from what I hear...

Quite good indeed :)
I'm at about a 16 month wait and have just been invited to attend initial meeting/interview (?)
(I didn't really mind, could keep my head in sand for longer)

Like you mention, it will depend on area, funding, number of applicants for service provided.

New Threads

Top Bottom