• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Old Video games you think should get a 'Remaster'...

AGXStarseed

(The following is from Wikipedia)

"Remaster (also digital remastering and digitally remastered) refers to changing the quality of the sound or of the image, or both, of previously created recordings, either audiophonic, cinematic, or videographic.

Remastering a video game is more difficult than remastering a film or music because the video game's graphics show their age. This can be due to a number of factors. For example, modern televisions tend to have higher display resolutions than the televisions available when the video game was released.
Older computers had limited 3D rendering speed, which required simple 3D object geometry such as human hands without individual fingers but instead modeled like a mitten, and the world having a distinctly chunky appearance with no smoothly curving surfaces. Older computers also had less texture memory for 3D environments, requiring low resolution bitmap images that look visibly pixelated or blurry when viewed at high resolution. Early 3D games such as the 1993 version of DOOM also just used an animated two-dimensional image that is rotated to always face the player character, rather than attempt to render highly complex scenery objects or enemies in full 3D.

Because of this, classic games that are remastered typically have their graphics redesigned or their original graphics re-rendered at the higher resolutions used by high-definition televisions.
An example of a game that has had its graphics redesigned is Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary, while the core character and level information is exactly the same as in Halo: Combat Evolved.
An example of a game that has had its original graphics re-rendered at higher resolutions is Hitman HD Trilogy, which contains two games with high resolution graphics: Hitman 2: Silent Assassin and Hitman: Contracts. Both were originally released on PC, PlayStation 2, and Xbox. The original resolution was 480p on Xbox. With the remaster, the games are displayed at 720p on Xbox 360.

There is some debate regarding whether new graphics of an older game at higher resolutions make a video game look better or worse than the original artwork, with comparisons made to colorizing black-and-white-movies."

Source: Remaster - Wikipedia
Taking all of this into account along with some more recent remasters (such as the Crash N.Sane Trilogy and the upcoming Spyro Reignited Trilogy - both of which remaster the character's original trilogies into one updated game), if you could have a game from previous console generations for the newest/upcoming consoles such as the PS5, what games would you want to have remastered?

To start us off, I'd like the game Red Faction (PS2, PC, Mac, N-Gage, Mobile) to receive a remaster.
The game was one of the first games I ever played when my Dad bought me and my siblings my PS2 (the other games been Crazy Taxi and XG3: Extreme G Racing) and I enjoyed it a lot despite finding it pretty difficult at times. The game gave you a variety of weapons, let you drive several vehicles and featured a fully destructable environment as you worked your way through the enormous Ultor complex to defeat the organization and take back your freedom.
Here's the trailer:
While another of the games in the series (Guerilla) did get a remaster anyway, I'd like to see this one get a remaster too.

Last edited:
2 other series that have been Remastered is the Crash Bandicoot games and Soon To Be Released the Spyro games

2 other series that have been Remastered is the Crash Bandicoot games and Soon To Be Released the Spyro games

Already said that in my original post, but thank you anyway.
Taking all of this into account along with some more recent remasters (such as the Crash N.Sane Trilogy and the upcoming Spyro Reignited Trilogy - both of which remaster the character's original trilogies into one updated game), if you could have a game from previous console generations for the newest/upcoming consoles such as the PS5, what games would you want to have remastered?

Do you have any games you'd want to be remastered?

Red Faction - 100% agree. TimeSplitters deserves it too - the best 1st person shooter series on PS2 by far :)
I'd also like to see Impossible Mission given the 3D treatment.

"Another visitor, stay a while. Stay FOREVER!"

I've honestly never really understood the point of this concept. If I can just play the old versions that are very, very cheaply available, why would I play new ones that are nearly identical?

The ONE exception I can think of is games that were entirely multiplayer focused. That does have a practical purpose in that it gives a chance to restart the community for those games.

I think they need to remaster a number of the old games. Some of the games I'd like to see remastered are, Thief 1 and 2, Oblivion, Max Payne 2, and some of the early Grand Theft Autos.

I’d love a remaster of Might and Magic 6 and Might and Magic 7. I played these for hundreds of hours, revisiting them almost on a yearly basis. The games are still great, but the graphics and controls haven’t aged that well.

Dizzy. came out on the 8 bits back n the early 80's, well overdue for a reboot IMO.

Lemmings, literally been on nearly every format ever, except Xbox, needs an Xbox version (damn you Sony and your exclusives)

Wing Commander, after the excellent Wing Commander Prophecy on the PC, this needs rebooting, with Mark Hamill as Blair again.

An updated version of "Chuck Yeager's Air Combat" would be fun.

One with updated graphics, yet retain that sense of being fluid in having frame rates that most GPUs could accommodate to have an enjoyable experience, much like the original DOS version.

Sure there have been lots of flight sims published over the years, but they all seemed to suffer short of having the most powerful CPU, RAM and GPU. Better graphics, but continually choppy game play. Gaming considerations that over the years eventually drove me from the PC platform.

I just recall this one in particular given how well it played on nominal PC platforms.

Chuck still rocks! :cool:

Last edited:
I've honestly never really understood the point of this concept. If I can just play the old versions that are very, very cheaply available, why would I play new ones that are nearly identical?

The ONE exception I can think of is games that were entirely multiplayer focused. That does have a practical purpose in that it gives a chance to restart the community for those games.

I actually preferred when games were simple, blocky and cartoonish. I didn't like when games started looking more realistic.

I do agree with the multiplayer aspect and making it usable with today's networking.

I actually preferred when games were simple, blocky and cartoonish. I didn't like when games started looking more realistic.

I do agree with the multiplayer aspect and making it usable with today's networking.

It would be amusing to see a 1990s game ported to todays's hardware platforms. Graphically primitive, but they'd likely have phenomenal frame rates.

The problem with Multiplayer games, especially online multiplayer, is that not everyone has a fast enough Internet connection to play without bad lag, not everyone can afford 200 Mbps Fibre from the likes of Virgin Media if they can even get it in their area in the first place.

We need more single player focused games IMO, more story driven single player titles, stuff like Red Dead Redemption 2 which came out the other week.

The problem with Multiplayer games, especially online multiplayer, is that not everyone has a fast enough Internet connection to play without bad lag, not everyone can afford 200 Mbps Fibre from the likes of Virgin Media if they can even get it in their area in the first place.

We need more single player focused games IMO, more story driven single player titles, stuff like Red Dead Redemption 2 which came out the other week.

I wonder how a graphically primitive game would perform under whatever is considered today's nominal internet connection.

This is coming from someone who can only get dialup internet, so I have little experience with high speed. Just speaking for the many people who do have some sort of higher speed available.

I’m so excited for Spyro Reignited Trilogy.

I know that Blizzard is doing something with WoW classic and Warcraft 3 but I’m not fully interested in them. I’d rather progress with the expansions and see where they go.

However The one game I’d like for a remaster would be Oblivion. I’m currently playing Skyrim, but i miss Oblivion. It was my first rpg that I played and really got me into gaming.

I also wouldn’t say no to baldurs gate and mass effect Trilogy....

There's LOTS of singleplayer games. And I mean *LOTS*.

The trouble some players run into is that they've effectively been conditioned to think that if a game isnt AAA, it's not worth playing (and surprise surprise, it's the AAA companies themselves spending big, big money to make you think that way). Which is frankly ridiculous. Not only do graphics NOT make a game, but some indie games end up being way more gorgeous than AAA games get (all the graphical prowess in the world doesnt matter if the game ends up being butt-ugly, as many AAA games are).

There's a reason why Minecraft, which has the technical prowess of a brick, not only did well, but rampaged through the entire industry like a coked-up Godzilla, sending out massive shockwaves that every part of the industry felt. No AAA game could have managed that level of transformation. Those devs are stuck in a rut... corporate overlords dont allow that level of creativity (it's too risky for profit, they think). Indie devs however can do whatever the bloody hell they want. Hell, I've done some development myself. No corporate overlords telling me what I can and cant do... I made the bloody decisions... only the head developer on the team could override me, but he never did (HOW I got into that position is still a bloody mystery to me, but it happened). And indie development is like that. Got a really interesting, new idea? DO IT. There's nobody saying that you cant, except for yourself.

Now, I dont like multiplayer one bit. I've had too many bad experiences with it over many, many years. Hell, Smash Ultimate will be the one and only exception to that rule, when it comes out, and it's the first exception in probably 5 years. And even then, one reason why I'm so interested is not just the multiplayer aspect, but the fact that it's one of the very, very few fighting games with GOOD singleplayer stuff to do.

Yet even though I only play singleplayer stuff... I buy games *frequently*. I have no spending limit and nothing but free time, all the time, AND I'm an impulse buyer, and I browse Steam every day and get recommendations from friends, so... yeah. VERY frequent. Despite how picky I am about them.

Best part of all? Games like those not only cost a fraction of what a AAA game does, but they also usually have DRAMATICALLY more content and depth. And no evil corporate schemes. I cant remember the last time a game I played tried any of that crap. I genuinely cant. But I can list MANY times where I'd buy a game and get a few hundred hours out of it.

This is also why I dont do consoles much. I dont actually care too much about how powerful or not a machine is (except with VR, which *must* run to absolute perfection at all times to prevent side effects). But even despite not giving a fart about that, I still dont touch the consoles most of the time (hell, the PS4 is basically a paperweight at this point). It's hard for smaller devs to publish their games on consoles (alot of crap they have to wade through that's costly and time consuming) so most simply dont bother. That's the actual reason why I stick with PC. The games that are actually interesting... and not under corporate control (with added greed)... usually only appear there.

That's not to say there arent exceptions of course (like RDR2) but as most have probably noticed, they're few and far between now, in AAA Land.

Yeah, I'm rambling here, but that's what I usually do. I'm bloody terrible at being concise.

I wonder how a graphically primitive game would perform under whatever is considered today's nominal internet connection.

This is coming from someone who can only get dialup internet, so I have little experience with high speed. Just speaking for the many people who do have some sort of higher speed available.

Graphics have next to nothing to do with network lag.

If you get performance issues from graphics, they're ENTIRELY on your end. They have no effect on what's going back and forth (unless they're bad enough that it actually impedes processes that send data out). It's purely the quality of the connection itself that actually matters (and also the quality of any servers that you may need to connect to).

For MOST PCs, the possibility of graphics getting in the way isnt even a concern anymore. Game specs requirements are very different from what they used to be, way back when. It's muuuuuuch easier to get any game running well on most PCs.

On dialup of course, there's nothing you can do to speed it up. Dialup is unfortunately just not viable for most games anymore. Though I do remember fondly the days when it was the only way to go.

New Threads

Top Bottom