• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Oklahoma boy with autism has 'best day ever' even after no one shows up to his birthday party

Butterfly88

Jello Queen
V.I.P Member
Oklahoma boy with autism has 'best day ever' even after no one shows up to his birthday party
BirthdaySadIstock-1.jpg

When the mom consulted the venue staff, the manager told her they would give the boy an “amazing party” at no cost.

A 10-year-old boy in Oklahoma who has autism says he had the “best day ever” after a group of strangers celebrated his birthday when none of his friends showed up to his party.

Brody Barron recently moved with his family from the U.K. to Guthrie. While his birthday is in August, the boy decided to hold out on celebrating so he could have a party with his new classmates, Yahoo reports.

When the day finally arrived for his Fortnite-themed celebration at Main Event in Oklahoma City, Barron eagerly awaited the arrival of his 10 party guests. However, things started to go downhill when no one showed up.

“We weren’t expecting everyone to show up, but 30 minutes after the party was supposed to start, we knew no one was coming. I told Brody, ‘Let’s figure out what to do, because I don’t know if your friends are going to make it,'” Barron’s mom, Susan, told Yahoo.

Because of Barron’s autism, he doesn’t always understand social cues, so he told his mom he didn’t mind waiting.

“That broke my heart. I told him, ‘I don’t think they’re coming.’ His entire body deflated and he hung his head. I was crying,” Susan said.

When Susan consulted the venue staff, the manager told her not to worry about the $300 event and that they would give Barron an “amazing party” at no cost.

The staff sang “Happy Birthday” to the boy, played laser tag with him and gifted him a Fortnite-themed bowling pin. He also got a gift bag from a customer who called the venue and heard about what was going on.

A spokesperson for Main Event told Yahoo that “Brody touched all of us.”

Susan said her son “felt like a celebrity” and called this “the best day ever.”

“He said, ‘Everyone missed out,'” she said.

Last week, another boy experienced a similar let down when none of his 32 classmates showed up for his 6th birthday. When a photo of the kid sitting at an empty table went viral, he was given several birthday gifts to help make up for the disappointment, including tickets to watch the Phoenix Suns play the Los Angeles Lakers.

Source: Oklahoma boy with autism has 'best day ever' even after no one shows up to his birthday party

My comments: I don't understand why the mother didn't know no one was coming, did they really all RSVP and then not show? If so how rude. Kudos to the staff. Friends always attended my birthday parties, I guess I was lucky.

I've heard of a few such stories over the years. One quite recently as well, involving a much younger boy though.

Devastating thing to happen for any kid for any reason. Just glad there are people out there who will try to help out like that.

Last edited:
It makes me cry to think about that , is this weird?

Anyway, I find also weird that the mother doesnt know no one will come, maybe she has some communication issues with the other families.

I've heard of a few such stories over the years. One quite recently as well, involving a much younger boy though.

Devastating thing to happen for any kid for any reason. Just glad there are people out there who will try to help out like that.

Yeah, it mentioned a six year old that happened to at the end of the article.

It makes me cry to think about that , is this weird?

Anyway, I find also weird that the mother doesnt know no one will come, maybe she has some communication issues with the other families.

I agree, there's a reason to have people RSVP.

I've had this happen so often, I quit having birthday parties when I turned 15. It just wasn't worth the heartache to realize no one wanted to be with me. Now, I just go have a dinner with my real friends, but I only have 2, so its a small gathering. I really feel for these kids.

I've had this happen so often, I quit having birthday parties when I turned 15. It just wasn't worth the heartache to realize no one wanted to be with me. Now, I just go have a dinner with my real friends, but I only have 2, so its a small gathering. I really feel for these kids.
Sorry to hear that. I'm glad you have two real friends now. I feel for these kids too.

New Threads

Top Bottom