• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

OK, this is an embarrassing question.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
The house I live in now is the very first residence I lived at that does not have a machine dishwasher.

My hand washing skills suck.

I am looking for some advice to make my dishes look more respectable.

This is a bit embarrassing as I should know by now how to do this, but technology spoiled me rotten.

One trick that helps ease things is letting the dishes soak in soapy water. So you can either fill the sink, fill a basin in the sink and put the dishes in that or just put warm soapy water directly on the dishes. Utensils can go in bowls or deep plates so they can get in there too. This is much better than just letting dishes sit while dirty.

As for washing, a sponge helps. With it a little bit of dish soap will go a long way.

I second the soaking idea!

I like using one of these:

1684887577004.png

I prefer to wash my dishes as soon as possible after using them. I think this makes it much easier to wash them.

Yeah, I know how to clean cast iron. Mainly because I was taught to never put it in the dishwasher. I will try these things you all suggest right now. I want to be a respectable host.

You should have a separate dish pan to rinse the dishes unless you have a 2 basin sink. You also need a drying rack with drain pan which drains back into the sink.

I agree with all the suggestions to soak too! But here's a little hack (it constitutes one of the very few paltry things I learned from my mother that is actually useful).

When you have all your freshly cleaned dishes on the rack on the drainer, turn on the hot tap and wait until it's super hot. Fill a mug or cup with the hot water and pour it over the dishes. Repeat this a few times to make sure you get everything.

The hot water will make your dishes dry quicker as it will evaporate quickly, and it will make them nice and shiny and streak free! Oh and make sure cups etc are turned upside down to let any captured water drain out.

Apologies if this is all obvious stuff, I just thought it might be useful if @Metalhead wasn't aware :)

The house I live in now is the very first residence I lived at that does not have a machine dishwasher.

My hand washing skills suck.

I am looking for some advice to make my dishes look more respectable.

This is a bit embarrassing as I should know by now how to do this, but technology spoiled me rotten.
Wash the dishes.

Review the dishes, if dirty wash again.

Repeat untill clean.

You are again at your phase of "I need others to tell me what to do".

Just do your stuff, you are an adult.

Wash the dishes.

Review the dishes, if dirty wash again.

Repeat untill clean.

You are again at your phase of "I need others to tell me what to do".

Just do your stuff, you are an adult.
That’s a bit unnecessary, don’t you think? Asking for advice on how to do things better, especially as a neurodivergent person (which often goes hand in hand with executive dysfunction, as I’m sure you’re very much aware) should be safe here.
“Just do your stuff, you’re an adult” is exactly the harsh, ableist stuff ND people with executive dysfunction encounter on a daily basis and I’m a bit disappointed to see you use that phrase in this way here.

I always soak the dishes before cleaning. Then they are easier to get clean.
I use a sponge with a rough surface to scrub them.
I always clean glass items and mugs first. Then plates, then cutlery, then pots and pans.
After cleaning, I run water over them to get rid of soap suds.
I use clothes hand washing powder as a detergent. Seems to be much more efficient at cleaning than dishwashing liquid.
I have a rack for dying them.

I've never used a dishwasher.
Prefer to hand wash.
All the above hacks on washing dishes I agree with.
Sounds like the steps I follow. :)

I clean the cleanest stuff first, the dirtiest last.

I usually let plastic food containers (such as Tupperware) soak on their own with a bit of dish soap, because they’ll often still be a bit greasy after just one round of hand washing. I often wash these twice.

I usually use a sponge rather than a brush.

@Atrapa Almas
I have always had issues with chores, l think that's my executive dysfunction. So it's really hard for me to deliver the message -hey, you're an adult/just do it, when l know that @Metalhead has come thru sleeping issues, job issues, bus issues, family issues. Dishes maybe the one thing that may need some tweaking, and he felt rightfully so to ask for some guidance. We each have different issues we grapple with daily.

Don't leave stuff overnight.
Less is more when it comes to washing up liquid.
Wash up as soon as you're done eating/cooking.
The hotter the water, the easier it is to wash up.

Ed

Also, I do not fill up a sink with soapy water (with one exception). I have a small bucket of soapy water next to the sink (which I cover when not in use).
That way I can just
  • rinse an item in the sink,
  • dip the scrubber sponge in the bucket to wash the item,
  • rinse the soap off &
  • put it in the drying rack.
(It feels like a bigger chore when I have to fill up a sink with soapy water first.)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom