• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Off topic sections

Polchinski

One nice thing about Wrongplanet is that it has lots of off-topic sections. Is there a way this forum could do the same? The specific sections I would like to add are "Politics" and "Health" ones. I am sure there are other things that would be cool to add too.

The last thing most people here want is for this to be more like Wrong Planet. There's an autism-related politics section and that's about it. As for health section, the healthiest thing for this website is less of it.

Wrong Planet, however, is very aptly named.

I thought the reason you didn't like WrongPlanet is because of its attitude towards autism. I didn't know that off-topic sections have anything to do with that.

The reasons for not liking that place are, well... It's a lot of things, really. Like... a LOT of things.

Also a health section could have some genuine problems. It's really not a good idea to be looking up medical stuff on the Net or asking random people who are likely not qualified to give answers... always ask a doctor directly.

There used to be a free for all politics section here on the forums, but we all noticed that it caused mostly bickering. So there still is a politics section, but you can only post things relating to autism.

And then health stuff, you can just put in Off Topic, which exists here.

Wrong planet has a lot of bullies and not a lot of moderation. I think that's why people prefer the Autism Forums. It's more grown up. Like a community center. I think we all like each other, even if we agree to disagree on some things.

Most of us here all have one thing in common. In pursuit of an online haven.

Not online "slaughterhouses" which are ultimately a dime a dozen on the Internet.

I think that's why people prefer the Autism Forums. It's more grown up. Like a community center. I think we all like each other, even if we agree to disagree on some things.

I haven't been here long but this is definitely the vibe that I get. I haven't tried wrong planet, but I spent a while on the Reddit autism forums and it was poor by comparison - quite aggressive bickering, not much moderation, and when someone had a genuine question the sensible responses were often hard to find among the dross.

Most of us here all have one thing in common. In pursuit of an online haven.

Agreed - well, that's what I need.

lots of off-topic sections

I'm struggling to have an opinion on this - I come here for the autism related stuff mostly.

One nice thing about Wrongplanet is that it has lots of off-topic sections. Is there a way this forum could do the same? The specific sections I would like to add are "Politics" and "Health" ones. I am sure there are other things that would be cool to add too.
There is an "Off Topic" section in the forums. Da link -> Off Topic.

It's not exactly what you're asking for, because there aren't subsections dedicated to specific off topics, but you can start a conversation there about anything you want other autism-related topics.

(edited due to @Nitro's correction, below).

Last edited:
There is an "Off Topic" section in the forums. Da link -> Off Topic.

It's not exactly what you're asking for, because there aren't subsections dedicated to specific off topics, but you can start a conversation there about anything you want.
Not exactly anything.
As far as political posts are concerned, if a post doesn't have a direct message involving legislation that impacts the autistic community, it is forbidden here.
The political arena is only accessable by opting in to keep it out of view of members who want nothing to do with it.

We are an autism support forum, not a political sounding board.
There are too many chances of contention becoming involved as political views are based solely on opinions which leads to disputes.

If any of you need that, I fear that this isn't the place to get it.

Not exactly anything.
As far as political posts are concerned, if a post doesn't have a direct message involving legislation that impacts the autistic community, it is forbidden here.
The political arena is only accessable by opting in to keep it out of view of members who want nothing to do with it.

We are an autism support forum, not a political sounding board.
There are too many chances of contention becoming involved as political views are based solely on opinions which leads to disputes.

If any of you need that, I fear that this isn't the place to get it.
Whoops. Thank you for the correction.

@Polchinski, listen to @Nitro and not to me (except when I say to not listen to me).

So there is a politics section that can be opted into that would allow for discussion of non-autism specific political discussion or you have to opt in to see the autism specific political discussion? If the latter, why would autism specific political discussion be a trigger point on an autism specific forum?

So there is a politics section that can be opted into that would allow for discussion of non-autism specific political discussion or you have to opt in to see the autism specific political discussion? If the latter, why would autism specific political discussion be a trigger point on an autism specific forum?
No, please read what I just posted.
If it falls outside of those guidelines, it is forbidden here.

poli rules.JPG

New Threads

Top Bottom