• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Odyssey-The amazing meanings of the suitors names.

SageRose

I'm going to give the symbolic meanings of the names of Penelope's suitors from Odyssey. As I've mentioned in another post, the greek mythology is usually the narration of real events but told in such a way that it looks like a fantasy story. It was meant to be that way so that people could be encouraged to be hopeful and for further idealization of specific characters. It is also believed that the myth of the gods, was also people's way of idealizing heroes and heroines of that era and placing them in their minds as 'otherwordly beings', in order to hope to their help,etc..
Each mythological tale had one main purpose. It contained lots of symbolisms, just like the Bible, that are meant to give specific meanings and messages for those who are willing to study them. Odyssey also contains a lot of symbolic messages and some of those are well hidden in the names of the suitors. Those meanings could be explained only in Greek though because the other languages have simply taken the names without knowing what each of them means. Most names in the ancient and modern Greek language though have a meaning. Before explaining their names I'll remind everyone that Odysseus, or otherwise known as Ulysses (I think ?), went back to Ithaca with the purpose of re-claiming everything he had lost. His purpose was not to compete with anyone but to simply succeed in regaining what he had lost or what others had stolen from him. What he had lost was a) His homeland, b) His wife, c) His entire family which was symbolized by his son and d) His kingdom and properties which he had faught for many years to acquire. In modern terms, all these symbolize people's agony and fight to preserve and defend their countries/lands, their families, their hard gained earns and their dignity. Now let's see his opponents and what they symbolize both then and in modern terms (since those messages were all time true and are relatable today as well):

1) Antinoos. In Greek it's Αντίνοος, which literally means the one who is against mindfulness and mindful thinking. Νους= mind in Greek. Αντι=anti. So Antinoos is the one who symbolizes those who try to enslave people;'s minds and make them incapable of free critical judgment and thinking. This opponent is symbolized as Odysseu's major and biggest opponent exactly because the enslavement of the mind and soul is the biggest danger against humanity. If one can control people's minds and can corrupt people's souls, he has basically made them his slaves forever without even having to make war on anything.
2)Euremahos/ Ευρύμαχος= The name means the one who fights by using all sorts of means and weapons and is therefore dangerous and sneaky because he has no limitations as to what he uses in his fights against his opponents and no honor or ethics.
3) Amfinomos/ Αμφίνομος= It means the one who changes the law or uses double meanings for it whenever it suits his interests, so he can exploit it and use it against his opponent-also no sense of honor or ethics.
4) Agelaos/ Αγέλαος= The one who 'pulls/controls' the public/people. He is the one who, we could say, uses manipulation tactics and brainwashing to make people believe in his lies and he is the one works the best along with Antinoos, to control and enslave the minds of the people.

Homer was very direct about his messages that are all time classic. He was talking about the enemies of people and societies. He was giving messages against those who wish to mentally enslave people and use them as their pawns for their games, whether that be the wars, the financial exploitations or anything else. Each suitor represents an enemy of the people and Odyssey, the 'king' represents the common fighter who fights for a decent life for himself, his family and his land.

I always thought The Odyssey was just the elaborate story Odysseus came up with to explain why his 10 minute trip down to the local store for cigerettes turned into a 10 year absence. I doubt Penelope bought a word of it.

I always thought The Odyssey was just the elaborate story Odysseus came up with to explain why his 10 minute trip down to the local store for cigerettes turned into a 10 year absence. I doubt Penelope bought a word of it.

lol xD Well...stores for cigarettes that time were pretty far away from Ithaca so...he might have got off easy with it xp

I'm going to give the symbolic meanings of the names of Penelope's suitors from Odyssey. As I've mentioned in another post, the greek mythology is usually the narration of real events but told in such a way that it looks like a fantasy story. It was meant to be that way so that people could be encouraged to be hopeful and for further idealization of specific characters. It is also believed that the myth of the gods, was also people's way of idealizing heroes and heroines of that era and placing them in their minds as 'otherwordly beings', in order to hope to their help,etc..
Each mythological tale had one main purpose. It contained lots of symbolisms, just like the Bible, that are meant to give specific meanings and messages for those who are willing to study them. Odyssey also contains a lot of symbolic messages and some of those are well hidden in the names of the suitors. Those meanings could be explained only in Greek though because the other languages have simply taken the names without knowing what each of them means. Most names in the ancient and modern Greek language though have a meaning. Before explaining their names I'll remind everyone that Odysseus, or otherwise known as Ulysses (I think ?), went back to Ithaca with the purpose of re-claiming everything he had lost. His purpose was not to compete with anyone but to simply succeed in regaining what he had lost or what others had stolen from him. What he had lost was a) His homeland, b) His wife, c) His entire family which was symbolized by his son and d) His kingdom and properties which he had faught for many years to acquire. In modern terms, all these symbolize people's agony and fight to preserve and defend their countries/lands, their families, their hard gained earns and their dignity. Now let's see his opponents and what they symbolize both then and in modern terms (since those messages were all time true and are relatable today as well):

1) Antinoos. In Greek it's Αντίνοος, which literally means the one who is against mindfulness and mindful thinking. Νους= mind in Greek. Αντι=anti. So Antinoos is the one who symbolizes those who try to enslave people;'s minds and make them incapable of free critical judgment and thinking. This opponent is symbolized as Odysseu's major and biggest opponent exactly because the enslavement of the mind and soul is the biggest danger against humanity. If one can control people's minds and can corrupt people's souls, he has basically made them his slaves forever without even having to make war on anything.
2)Euremahos/ Ευρύμαχος= The name means the one who fights by using all sorts of means and weapons and is therefore dangerous and sneaky because he has no limitations as to what he uses in his fights against his opponents and no honor or ethics.
3) Amfinomos/ Αμφίνομος= It means the one who changes the law or uses double meanings for it whenever it suits his interests, so he can exploit it and use it against his opponent-also no sense of honor or ethics.
4) Agelaos/ Αγέλαος= The one who 'pulls/controls' the public/people. He is the one who, we could say, uses manipulation tactics and brainwashing to make people believe in his lies and he is the one works the best along with Antinoos, to control and enslave the minds of the people.

Homer was very direct about his messages that are all time classic. He was talking about the enemies of people and societies. He was giving messages against those who wish to mentally enslave people and use them as their pawns for their games, whether that be the wars, the financial exploitations or anything else. Each suitor represents an enemy of the people and Odyssey, the 'king' represents the common fighter who fights for a decent life for himself, his family and his land.
I always thought there was more to the story. I was unaware of the meanings of the names. In other words:

Antinoos: Con artist
Euremahos: Dishonorable cheat
Amfinomos: Sleazy lawyer
Agelaos: Lying politician

Seems to cover all the lowlifes in leadership. They all seem to be cowards underneath. I knew Odysseus told two versions of his travels. One at a banquet for the purpose of entertaining his hosts. More of less pure mythology, but the guest was expected to tell a good story in return for hospitality. The other story was to his poor host while he was disguised as a beggar, and is rather more mundane, and more believable. Spending time as a pirate before going home makes sense. Unfortunately, in modern times it is the more elaborate story that is taken as his true adventures, and the other story is ignored.

Thank you for you illumination of this aspect of the story.

I always thought there was more to the story. I was unaware of the meanings of the names. In other words:

Antinoos: Con artist
Euremahos: Dishonorable cheat
Amfinomos: Sleazy lawyer
Agelaos: Lying politician

Seems to cover all the lowlifes in leadership. They all seem to be cowards underneath. I knew Odysseus told two versions of his travels. One at a banquet for the purpose of entertaining his hosts. More of less pure mythology, but the guest was expected to tell a good story in return for hospitality. The other story was to his poor host while he was disguised as a beggar, and is rather more mundane, and more believable. Spending time as a pirate before going home makes sense. Unfortunately, in modern times it is the more elaborate story that is taken as his true adventures, and the other story is ignored.

Thank you for you illumination of this aspect of the story.

You said it very nicely, couldn't agree more :) Just a question, what exactly is a con artist? Is it like a fake artist or does it have another metaphorical meaning?

Last edited:
You said it very nicely, couldn't agree more :) Just a question, what exactly is a con artist? Is it like a fake artist or does it have another metaphorical meaning?
Con Artist is an American slang term. It is a crook who gains the CONfidence of a victim through lies and compliments in order to cheat him. Another type is cult leaders, maybe more applicable to Antinoos.

What is the symbolic name of Penelope? I'm sure there is a meaning behind that as well. I liked the clever ploy to delay a decision to select a suitor by weaving a tapestry by day and taking it apart by night. And setting up the same challenge that Odysseus used to win her to select a suitor, knowing none could pass the challenge, was absolutely wonderful.

Con Artist is an American slang term. It is a crook who gains the CONfidence of a victim through lies and compliments in order to cheat him. Another type is cult leaders, maybe more applicable to Antinoos.

What is the symbolic name of Penelope? I'm sure there is a meaning behind that as well. I liked the clever ploy to delay a decision to select a suitor by weaving a tapestry by day and taking it apart by night. And setting up the same challenge that Odysseus used to win her to select a suitor, knowing none could pass the challenge, was absolutely wonderful.

Oh I get it now :) Penelope's name literally means the weaver-artist but symbolically Odyssey uses her trick with the delaying weaving to symbolize the long lasting faithful partner who does anything to stay faithful to his/her partner and his/her marriage vows.

Oh I get it now :) Penelope's name literally means the weaver-artist but symbolically Odyssey uses her trick with the delaying weaving to symbolize the long lasting faithful partner who does anything to stay faithful to his/her partner and his/her marriage vows.
Very similar to his dog Argos, who was the only one to recognize him when he returned. What about his son, Telemachus (American spelling)? At this point, I assume his name has meaning also.

I think there were a lot more than 4 suitors. In fact, I seem to recall the palace was pretty much packed to standing room only with suitors. Made it hard for Odysseus to miss with his arrows.

I hope you don't mind all this, but your threads have given me a lot of insight into classic literature. Thanks.

Very similar to his dog Argos, who was the only one to recognize him when he returned. What about his son, Telemachus (American spelling)? At this point, I assume his name has meaning also.

I think there were a lot more than 4 suitors. In fact, I seem to recall the palace was pretty much packed to standing room only with suitors. Made it hard for Odysseus to miss with his arrows.

I hope you don't mind all this, but your threads have given me a lot of insight into classic literature. Thanks.

Hey, no ofc I don't mind :)
Telemachus means the one who fights from a distance, far away. Tele/Τηλε= far away, machus/μαχος= synthetic of the word that means battle/fight. Tele-phony also comes from the 'tele' synthetic which means far away and phony/φωνη, is the voice, in this case the contact/communication by voice that happens through a distance.
Yes the suitors were indeed more, but the 4 mentioned were the most symbolic ones and Odyssey's biggest and most dangerous opponents.

I will soon write the meaning of another famous myth, the one of Daedalus and Icarus.

Sorry I could read this until now. I want to give this the proper attention it deserves.

I wish my teachers in school had taught us this stuff when studying Greek mythology!

Thank you so much for this. I look forward to more as you wish to post more.

I speak modern Greek, and am aware of the meanings of names in Greek mythology.

Sorry I could read this until now. I want to give this the proper attention it deserves.

I wish my teachers in school had taught us this stuff when studying Greek mythology!

Thank you so much for this. I look forward to more as you wish to post more.

I wish that too autie. Even here, the modern 'education system' sucks so much, you barely get to learn the history of your country at a school. You actually have to go out of your school hours and search this stuff in libraries, history books or with teachers who are willing to give you sources. I've had a few who thankfully did give me lots of sources and with a bit of extensive research on my part too, I managed to dig out some stuff mainly out of personal interest.
I will also post Plato's explanation about Atlantis soon.

That was very awesome and informative I enjoy reading that I got it another interesting fact for you the New Testament in the Bible was written in Greek!

That was very awesome and informative I enjoy reading that I got it another interesting fact for you the New Testament in the Bible was written in Greek!

I know, I have the original semi ancient dialect version. That's the one I read :) The other versions, especially the most modern ones have several errors and they're not highly recommended. The more you get away from the original, the more errors I guess.
I will include a historical explanation/version about the myth of Daedalus and Icarus too :)

I know, I have the original semi ancient dialect version. That's the one I read :) The other versions, especially the most modern ones have several errors and they're not highly recommended. The more you get away from the original, the more errors I guess.
I will include a historical explanation/version about the myth of Daedalus and Icarus too :)
Cool can't wait to read!

New Threads

Top Bottom