• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

oddities while eating

kityoume

Have you ever encountered strange things while eating? For example, do you know such a feature that while eating you want to stroke your legs with one hand to relieve tension? Have you experienced obsessive stroking while eating?

Interesting, I don’t do that, but I understand it.

I eat incredibly fast because I just want to get it over with. If I am sitting at a table eating with others, I stim like crazy and always have a fidget with me.

Interesting, I don’t do that, but I understand it.

I eat incredibly fast because I just want to get it over with. If I am sitting at a table eating with others, I stim like crazy and always have a fidget with me.
I'm the opposite. I eat suuuuper sloooowly. I'm pretty much always the slowest eater at the table. With some meals it can take me an hour to finish. I think I chew more slowly or thoroughly than most people. It can also take me a while to "prepare" food on my plate. If I have mashed potatoes for instance, I mash them very uniformally which can take a while, then I salt and pepper one side, and then flip it and salt and pepper the other side (making sure to "fix it" if some parts fell off the potato "cake"). If I'm cutting meat, I tend to "clean it" very thoroughly, and when I'm eating mandarins, I very carefully remove all the "white strips" from the outer parts of it before eating, unless someone stops me or I'm in a hurry. If I'm eating a meal composed of many parts (say potatoes, steak and corn)

I also calculate how much to place on my plate each time so that I finish everything at the same time, and then take turns eating. So I'll take one bite of potatoes, one piece of meat, and a spoon of corn, then repeat.

Similar to @Darkkin, I also read or watch something if I'm eating by myself. I've actually been eating the entire time while composing this message.

I'm the opposite. I eat suuuuper sloooowly. I'm pretty much always the slowest eater at the table. With some meals it can take me an hour to finish. I think I chew more slowly or thoroughly than most people. It can also take me a while to "prepare" food on my plate. If I have mashed potatoes for instance, I mash them very uniformally which can take a while, then I salt and pepper one side, and then flip it and salt and pepper the other side (making sure to "fix it" if some parts fell off the potato "cake"). If I'm cutting meat, I tend to "clean it" very thoroughly, and when I'm eating mandarins, I very carefully remove all the "white strips" from the outer parts of it before eating, unless someone stops me or I'm in a hurry. If I'm eating a meal composed of many parts (say potatoes, steak and corn)

I also calculate how much to place on my plate each time so that I finish everything at the same time, and then take turns eating. So I'll take one bite of potatoes, one piece of meat, and a spoon of corn, then repeat.

Similar to @Darkkin, I also read or watch something if I'm eating by myself. I've actually been eating the entire time while composing this message.
haha bon appetit

I have to have my food arranged in a certain way and I eat everything in a specific order.

It's basically like this: if everything is one plate, then whatever is the main part of the meal has to be on the right side of the plate. If it's spread over multiple plates, then the plate with the main part of the meal has to be the rightmost plate (and if there's more than one thing on that plate, then it must also be on the right side of the plate). The 'exception' to this rule is if I go out to eat and have an appetizer, then the plate with the appetizer is the rightmost plate.

Then when it comes to eating, if I'm eating at a restaurant and having an appetizer, I will eat the appetizer first (which isn't odd) but when it comes to the actual main course or whatever, I will eat the main part of the meal first and then eat each side dish in a specific order as well. BUT there is an exception to this rule!! If I'm having something where the side is more of a finger food, then I will alternate bites.

What I mean by this is like say if I'm having meatloaf and mashed potatoes for dinner, I will literally eat the entirety of the meatloaf first before I even start on the mashed potatoes. But if I'm having fish and chips, then I'll have a bite of fish and then have a fry, bite of fish then a fry, etc.

And if there's multiple sides, I eat those in a specific order too. It's kind of hard for me to give a specific 'order' per se cuz it obviously depends on what the sides are, but I can say that if I am having scrambled eggs, sausage, a hashbrown, and a piece of toast for breakfast, then the order I'd eat is: eggs (as that's the main part of the dish), the sausage, the hashbrown, and the toast, as an example. And I do also notice that if I have any potato dish as a side, then I usually eat the potatoes as one of the last things.

Also, if I'm having a salad with my meal, I eat the salad last. I've always done this. The salad is the finisher as far as I am concerned.

Me too. I'm quite similar ^_^ For that last comment, sometimes I eat while typing on my phone with one hand too. I eat slow just like you really, but I'm also fast at the same time so maybe faster. I like to enjoy the food as much as possible, however - I eat fast if I'm preoccupied, in the zone with something else (salad, sausage rolls, vegetables). Slow if I really enjoy the food (like chips, sushi or chocolate, my favourites). I also drink tea fairly fast in the mornings because I've had that for at least two years now ^^ Super refreshing!

I've always been a super slow eater.
Fortunately, or unfortunately, however you may view it, that means I feel every
little thing about the food that others might not even notice.

I remember my mom telling the dentist about this and he said it was a good thing
because it is healthier when you fully masticate your food before swallowing.
Still, I am always the last one to finish a meal when eating with others.
I don't have a stim or anything while eating, but I don't like to talk while eating.

I have to eat alone and I love to eat as much as possible. But I count calories so I don't overeat too much...

I hate people talking to me and expecting me to talk back while I'm eating. I don't like being interrupted.
I always eat my favourite part of the meal last.

I've always been a super slow eater.
Fortunately, or unfortunately, however you may view it, that means I feel every
little thing about the food that others might not even notice.

I remember my mom telling the dentist about this and he said it was a good thing
because it is healthier when you fully masticate your food before swallowing.
Still, I am always the last one to finish a meal when eating with others.
I don't have a stim or anything while eating, but I don't like to talk while eating.
Agreed <3

Your style of eating and arranging your food sounds just like my husband. It is not unusual for me to finish eating my meal while he is still "styling" his green beans or whatever on his plate. It used to drive me crazy because I viewed it as obsessive-compulsive disorder and I felt like I should wait for him to get ready before I started eating. Meanwhile, my food got cold. (I don't like cold food unless the dish is intended to be served cold.)

These days, I just eat at my own rate and ignore him. This is how one stays married for decades. ;)

I love to read while I eat, especially if I am alone in a restaurant.

I'm also a slow eater, and usually eat from a very small menu, relying on the readng matter for variety. I chew thoroughly, and now, with even worse teeth, I have learned to only take sample portions of food if I'm eathing with others, and finish filling up later.

I just know I tend to eat slowly and constantly observe others "wolfing" down their food.

Frankly it has always made me uncomfortable as I'm always the last to finish my meal. Though it's not hard to see how many employees in strict working environments have gotten accustomed to eating as fast as they can so they don't exceed their lunch hour.

Not to mention that In my old age with reflux I can't eat much of anything too quickly. :(

I tend to eat fast, because I enjoy it. I can aspirate easily. I don't really stim while eating, but also live alone. So I don't have to worry about sensory overload from other people.

When I was a kid I would swallow chicken nuggets whole.

Your style of eating and arranging your food sounds just like my husband. It is not unusual for me to finish eating my meal while he is still "styling" his green beans or whatever on his plate. It used to drive me crazy because I viewed it as obsessive-compulsive disorder and I felt like I should wait for him to get ready before I started eating. Meanwhile, my food got cold. (I don't like cold food unless the dish is intended to be served cold.)

These days, I just eat at my own rate and ignore him. This is how one stays married for decades. ;)

I love to read while I eat, especially if I am alone in a restaurant.
That's weirdly relatable even though I'm not married and I'm a teenager lol . I feel like I eat a little slower than my own parents :) They like to eat super quick and move on to the next task. I tend to do that while I'm home alone and rebel a little bit, but when they're around I eat in a respectful way :D

I tend to eat fast, because I enjoy it. I can aspirate easily. I don't really stim while eating, but also live alone. So I don't have to worry about sensory overload from other people.

When I was a kid I would swallow chicken nuggets whole.
Aww that's lovely <3 I've somewhat lived alone for the past week, I had a simple dinner that I went out and bought myself. It was a snack I ate at 5pm that satisfied me for the rest of that day.

I just know I tend to eat slowly and constantly observe others "wolfing" down their food.

Frankly it has always made me uncomfortable as I'm always the last to finish my meal. Though it's not hard to see how many employees in strict working environments have gotten accustomed to eating as fast as they can so they don't exceed their lunch hour.

Not to mention that In my old age with reflux I can't eat much of anything too quickly. :(
Aww you're a lot like my Mum, who is middle aged or older as well. She is the same, she talks about reflux and she even has a problem in her mouth while eating . (P.S. She's diagnosed with terminal cancer and has new brain tumours, but she's still alive and kicking)

New Threads

Top Bottom