• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

OCD or TS?

SparklAng

Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I will give it a go.

I have been diagnosed with OCD since the age of 11 (I’m 17 now) however over the past four years I have been developing what I guess could be described as tics- movements that I do for no reason other than intense discomfort, an almost burning sensation, that is temporarily relieved by doing the tic (until it happens again). I guess it is like an itch, you scratch it, and it feels better, but then it keeps coming back. I do things like stretching in certain ways (I have to get a specific feeling from the stretch to get relief) blinking, tapping things, making the peace sign with my fingers, touching my hair in a certain way(I didn’t even realise I did that one until it was pointed out), and vocal things like snorting, rolling my tounge etc.

I can control it to a certain extent, but it is intensely uncomfortable and the pressure builds up until it becomes unbearable and I have to let it all out. Certain situations will ‘trigger’ it, stress, but also random things- if I see the word ‘pig’ I generally get the urge to snort (niche example but hopefully you get the idea). I also went through a period of time a couple of years ago where I had to repeat various words over and over again, which has mainly subsided now, but sometimes pops back up. Things come and go, and sometimes two tics will merge together.

I recently went to stay at a friends house and apparantly I do some of these ‘tics’ in my sleep (certain hand movements, leg stretches)

People have always put this down to my ‘ocd’, but recently my psychologist has questioning whether it is actually ocd related (They are starting to consider whether I have TS, but I don’t know much about it so thought I would see if anyone has any personal experience- Googling things can be a bit one sided)

It is really frustrating because on top of my ‘rituals’ (I have to do x otherwise y will happen) , I have these tics for no reason, that I can’t seem to stop.

To my knowledge physical tics are mutually exclusive of having OCD. It's certainly possible for one to have both conditions, however they are two distinctly separate conditions.

I was diagnosed with OCD and clinical depression in 1982. Though not formally diagnosed with ASD. I do have two stims though. I suppose some would argue that stimming can be a tic of sorts, though probably more often than not it's a voluntary thing as opposed to a physical tic that just "happens".

Thank you so much- that is along the same lines as what I was thinking.

It is always good to get other people’s perspectives on things!

Thank you so much- that is along the same lines as what I was thinking.

It is always good to get other people’s perspectives on things!

There's quite a few of us here who have OCD comorbid to having ASD. Also a number of members who have TS as well.

Well if you ask me this sound like classic Tourette's Syndrome. You describe many things that I also get, different situations of course though.

As you can or may not be aware of Tourette's Syndrome and OCD have a very high comorbid rate, roughly 60% of those with Tourette's Syndrome also have OCD. It would not come as a surprise that you'd have both.

Allow me to break down a few things and give you examples of my tics as well for comparisons.

• Before a tic there is an Premonitory Urge. These are generally described as a burning sensation, a weight, a deep itchy feeling, or pressure building up.
  • Most of us will have our own 'triggers' for tics. Yours may well be seeing the word 'pig'. Mine are hearing people imitating animals. I've had dog barks, howls and raven calls.
  • A lot of people have tics in their sleep. I went through a rough period where I would punch myself in the face in deep sleep. I've had lots of other tics in my sleep too.
  • OCD and Tourette's is very closely related. So closely that there's a new phrase coined in the medical community called, "Tourettic OCD". Separating what is a tic and what is an OCD ritual may be really hard. Over time with education you will learn to be the best judge of which is what.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask!

That is really interesting- thanks for the in depth information. I have been told by my psychologist some of the symptoms of TS in the past but theoretical symptoms are often so different on paper so it is really useful to hear others experience of it. Something I was wondering about is to what extent do people have any control over their tics- by control I mean trying really hard to not do it but getting an increasingly tense and weird feeling (I seem to get it in the part of the body that I need to move but am trying not to).

Thanks again!

It really varies from person to person. Some people have amazing control over their tics others have almost no ability to suppress a tic.

For myself I'm in the midst of a CBIT - Comprehensive Behavioural Intervention for Tics. A type of therapy. In that I'm learning Habit Reversal Training - which gets applied to lots of other conditions like skin picking and hair picking, not just tics. And with that you first learn what the urge feels like and get used to the sensation then after a little while of that you put in place a Competing Response such as gently looking down when you have a tic to roll your eyes. That's been an interesting experience.

The reason why I'm telling you this is that the urge with most people can be prolonged to a point where the tic goes away. By no means is CBIT a cure for Tourette's, I will always have Tourette's but it puts in place a tool where I can get rid of bad tics that bother me.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I will give it a go.

I have been diagnosed with OCD since the age of 11 (I’m 17 now) however over the past four years I have been developing what I guess could be described as tics- movements that I do for no reason other than intense discomfort, an almost burning sensation, that is temporarily relieved by doing the tic (until it happens again). I guess it is like an itch, you scratch it, and it feels better, but then it keeps coming back. I do things like stretching in certain ways (I have to get a specific feeling from the stretch to get relief) blinking, tapping things, making the peace sign with my fingers, touching my hair in a certain way(I didn’t even realise I did that one until it was pointed out), and vocal things like snorting, rolling my tounge etc.

I can control it to a certain extent, but it is intensely uncomfortable and the pressure builds up until it becomes unbearable and I have to let it all out. Certain situations will ‘trigger’ it, stress, but also random things- if I see the word ‘pig’ I generally get the urge to snort (niche example but hopefully you get the idea). I also went through a period of time a couple of years ago where I had to repeat various words over and over again, which has mainly subsided now, but sometimes pops back up. Things come and go, and sometimes two tics will merge together.

I recently went to stay at a friends house and apparantly I do some of these ‘tics’ in my sleep (certain hand movements, leg stretches)

People have always put this down to my ‘ocd’, but recently my psychologist has questioning whether it is actually ocd related (They are starting to consider whether I have TS, but I don’t know much about it so thought I would see if anyone has any personal experience- Googling things can be a bit one sided)

It is really frustrating because on top of my ‘rituals’ (I have to do x otherwise y will happen) , I have these tics for no reason, that I can’t seem to stop.
That really just sounds like stimming (or self-stimulatory behavior). People with ASD and SPD do it.

New Threads

Top Bottom