• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsessively repeating gaming? Is this a symptom?

Rebecca Merriam

So hope this makes sense,
When playing rpgs I just play the same role each time, go specific paths even go to cities/villages in the same order, dress them and make them act the same each play through. Sometimes I'll try to change get 30 minutes in and get board and start over.
I can also finish a entire campaign, I will repeat it over and over again for specific games. (Portal 1 and 2,) like 4 times in a row once

I'm not conserned about this behavior other than I'm probably missing out on content and new stories, but I am curious if this is trait or whatever

I don't think I do this with other things, that I've noticed

Ive done that. It just seems more fun thar way. Maybe its a stability thing. Where you control what happens and know what will happen next. I played both bioshock games and did that. Still love the ending.

A game is a form of leisure. So it all boils down to whatever makes you happy.

I've played "The Sims" not to manipulate characters, but simply design and build homes. Go figure. ;)

Besides, it can be great fun to vicariously "break the rules". Something most folks may have to think twice about before doing such a thing in real life.

Last edited:
I dunno, it depends on the player, really. I mean, going through a game that's the EXACT same storyline 200 times over might seem a bit odd to many, but at the same time there's others out there that do so.

In my case there are games I'll play over and over and over, but they're usually roguelikes or other games that have random/procedural elements. Even though I've beaten some of them so many times that I know *everything* about them, I still enjoy them, and they can still surprise me sometimes.

While other players must have an entirely new game each time, period, never replaying an old one even if it has elements they havent seen yet.

l bought the Sims for my daughter who l believe maybe on the spectrum. She was elementary school. She loved it when the house burned down. l was relieved it was a video game. No, she grew up fine incase you are wondering. She loved playing house with Sims characters.
l did repeatly play racing games over and over same paths, same obstacles, and l didn't care.

l bought the Sims for my daughter who l believe maybe on the spectrum. She was elementary school. She loved it when the house burned down. l was relieved it was a video game. No, she grew up fine incase you are wondering. She loved playing house with Sims characters.
l did repeatly play racing games over and over same paths, same obstacles, and l didn't care.

Racing games are meant to be replayed over and over anyway. It's how you learn the tracks and get better and better times.

Those that play competitively in particular spend ALOT of time practicing each track over and over.

And as for the Sims... it's an addiction. Most fans spend hundreds, thousands of hours on it. There's a reason why EA, the big evil publisher, can get away with selling so many expansions with so few complaints about them. Even I buy the blasted things.

...Now I want to play it. Great.

Also it's pretty common for players to just torment their sims sometimes. Like the classic "take the ladder out of the pool" trick. Or the "put the guy in a very small room full of nothing but sad clown paintings and no way out", saw that one in a magazine once. The funny part of that one was, a Sim that looked at the clown paintings too much had a chance of summoning a clown that would indeed tumble out of the painting. You can imagine where it goes from there. Like one of Lovecraft's Old Ones, it wouldnt be long before those in the house were driven to madness. Certainly not the way I always play it, but I still found stories like those to be entertaining.

And of course some things happened out of your control. Like in the first game, I had one time where Bob Newbie had a magic lamp, because that makes perfect sense. Summons a genie. Wishes for something. The genie has a small chance of screwing it up and lighting a random object on fire instead. That object was Bob. While he's screaming and hopping down in place, the fire department shows up. But the AI gets confused: Bob is standing right in the exact spot that the game knows to be the doorway, and the firemen must enter a door before they will take action. So they stand there looking very confused while Bob burns to dust with a huge genie panicking behind him. That was like 2 decades ago that I had that happen and I still remember it in great detail.

It's such a gloriously odd series. And it only got more bizarre from there. Now you get things like Sims using their smartphone to call the Grim Reaper and ask him if he wants to go to the mall with them. Nobody at the mall will find this odd.

The Sims are such a great series, recently I started making one of my favorite book characters (harry Dresden for anyone who might know)

I think repetition may be connected to being on the spectrum. I've noticed it in more then one aspect of my life. Often I prefer the same game, same song, same movie, same foods, same place to go out and eat.

Same. I can’t make “evil” decisions in most games because I feel bad for the NPC’s it would affect. I always play a stealth archer in Skyrim. I always make the same choices in each RPG I play. I’ve been playing Baldurs Gate for 20 years, yet I still make the same decisions in my yearly playthrough.

Same. I can’t make “evil” decisions in most games because I feel bad for the NPC’s it would affect. I always play a stealth archer in Skyrim. I always make the same choices in each RPG I play. I’ve been playing Baldurs Gate for 20 years, yet I still make the same decisions in my yearly playthrough.
Go for the Eyes Boo!

New Threads

Top Bottom