• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsessions, aka hobbies, fishing is my latest one...

Kushpa

I guess I’m just writing this to see how many people out there have found new hobbies/obsessions as they get older, and how that goes, as the old ones fade away. I’m a recently diagnosed adult, and I’ve been trying to understand my obsessions and/or “hobbies,” as others often call them. My old hobbies are fading away (I won’t get into that here), and I have a new one: FISHING!

I’m just wondering how many other folks out there enjoy fishing. I see a lot of folks getting into golf as they get older. I used to enjoy bowling, but as I get older and my knees give out, that gets harder. I really love the fishing though! Not only is it a great way to relieve stress, just getting out there by a lakeside or on a river and enjoying nature, but catching the fish is very satisfying, and I very much do enjoy fresh black bass and catfish and crappie! They are SO tasty with a little oil and a side of fried potatoes and green beans!

I often use the time on the river bank reflecting on things. It can be very peaceful, and so easy to forget the rest of the world, once you totally absorb yourself in the moment! I just wonder if this is going to last, though. Will fishing be something that stays with me, or just like so many other “obsessions,” something I just lose interest in in maybe a year, or 3, or 5? I’m still kind of trying to figure out why it’s so hard for me to revisit my FORMER obsessions, even for the purposes of work and whatnot. I wish I could just “re-conjure” those past obsessions, and put them to work for me, if that makes sense.

Anyways, maybe confusing work stuff with leisure stuff, and at this point, what’s the difference, right? ;)

Mine:
Anime
Gaming
Computer science
Meme creation
Japanese video games
Japanese anything
Sometimes all of the above all at the same time

"Will fishing be something that stays with me, or just like so many other “obsessions,” something I just lose interest in in maybe a year, or 3, or 5?"

I'm not sure why it matters. Everybody changes over time. The satisfaction you feel from doing it now will stay with you forever as happy memories.

"Will fishing be something that stays with me, or just like so many other “obsessions,” something I just lose interest in in maybe a year, or 3, or 5?"

I'm not sure why it matters. Everybody changes over time. The satisfaction you feel from doing it now will stay with you forever as happy memories.

I guess it doesn’t. It’s just that I spent a couple thousand on a drone obsession a few years ago, and now I’ve spend a few thousand on this fishing thing. I guess that’s money I would have spent on a wife and family, were I an NT, huh? :)

I guess it doesn’t. It’s just that I spent a couple thousand on a drone obsession a few years ago, and now I’ve spend a few thousand on this fishing thing. I guess that’s money I would have spent on a wife and family, were I an NT, huh? :)

._.

Everything gets spent on something. You can't take it with you.

Mine remain constant....... Crime fiction and movies, independant female leads in films, fitness, Jazz, art fashion and design, psychology

Going overboard on everything and investing all time and money into latest thing is definitely something I relate to more than even a lot.

My obsessions are usually cerebral. Like I had an obsession with katanas (Samurai swords). I learned quite a lot about them; their components, how the blades are crafted, the names of master swordsmiths (past and present) etc and viewd countless images. Then I lost interest. Another was US coin and paper currency. And so on. Become an armchair expert, lose interest, become immersed in something else.

My obsessive can move back and forth in layers of importance. I love stocks but have no money to dabble. l love to research them. Right now l love all Asian vegetarian YouTube recipes that are knockoffs of the well-known dishes. Don't like work because l don't like the drama at all. Like reading about E-discovery. l love doing art but that's not a possibility now. l find l spend more time in life avoiding people as l age. That has turned a tab obsessive.

I have a life long obsession with machinery and this one has been good to me. I have spent the last 55 years working with machines and made a very good living doing it. It is a lot easier to show up for work every day when you love what you are doing.

My secondary obsessions come and go. As a young fellow, I really like to go fast. Since I can not do this on the streets, I did it on a track or mountain trails on a dirt bike or a snowmobile. I really miss those days. Also, I am a golfer. This is something that I enjoy that I haven't had to give up yet. I really enjoy shooting and collecting firearms. Most people would be alarmed at how many firearms and how much ammunition that I own, but I do not even hunt. Just poke holes in paper at the range. The last thing that I want to do is shoot a living being.

When l was younger l loved going fast. In cars, on snow skies. But l don't do it because it's dangerous. But l am glad l didn't grow up near a racetrack. Because l would be driving in little circles.

Lifelong one has always been video games. I also have a tendency to get obsessive over specific characters.

In recent times, I've added a couple of new obsessions, for more variety. Twisty puzzles, board games (played solo, yes that's a thing), and drones.

Also every now and then I'll get some extra bizarre obsession out of nowhere. Recently I have this thing for creepy dolls. No, I dont know why. It doesnt have to make sense. I sure do have alot of photos of these though.

It used to be dancing, martial arts, boxing. I still dance, but not for four to six hours at a time, still do martial arts but no classes any longer, which I do miss. Boxing, gave it up eventually, my hands were still painful for two years afterward. Have never given up digging and fossil hunting since I was a child. Now I cycle, and I've been painting the inside of my house for two weeks solid, every room, is that obsessive? Maybe a little.

I obsessed about wanting to be naked for quite a while. Not necessarily for sexual purposes - at least not after adulthood. (When I was a teenager everything was sex. Then after puberty ended, it mellowed.) I just felt an urgent need to be accepted and that was part of it. Now it is just a hobby.

Last edited:
I don't know why the word obsessed gets used, I have interests but I'm not obsessed, I think some aspies potentially could be offended by being called obsessed

Fishing is one of my hobbies, but I don't do as much information gathering as I used to because of having to attempt adulting to the best of my ability.

New Threads

Top Bottom