• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsession with punk rock music

ryan1205

Mr. I Don't Know
V.I.P Member
When I turned 10, I started to learn how to play guitar. At that time I was into a band called Linkin Park. I wanted to learn how to play their songs. I quickly got over them once I realized I could never play like them. By the time I turned 11-12. I started to take an interest in Green Day (Now I don't even listen to them). My guitar teacher taught me many of their most notable songs on guitar. I quickly learned by myself to play their whole album "Dookie" on guitar. Green Day however quickly got me into other punk bands. I heard about Operation Ivy which they got me into Rancid. I drifted away from Green Day and never went back to them. I now consider them very non-punk. (Girl punk). By my mid teenage years (sophomore year of high school) I got into many bands. Mostly from the 1980s which I consider the best era of punk rock. I been listening to Orange County, CA punk bands from that era since then. My favorites being Social Distortion and The Adolescents.

My favorite punk bands are Social Distortion, the Clash, the Adolescents, Wire, Rancid, Black Flag and many more.

If it wasn't for Green Day, I would never be into punk rock. I think many kids my age found punk rock through bands I consider not punk such as Green Day or Blink 182.

In high school, many of my classmates were listening to rap, pop and other mainsteam music now a days. I felt like I was the only one who actually was listening to music that was considered the best of an era. They just listen to one rap or pop song that is popular for a year and ditch immediately after the next big hit releases. In punk rock, people go back and listen for years. We appreciate the music that shaped a generation of the late 70s and 80s.

Punk rock has changed my life extensively during my teenage hood. Even though I was so recently this decade, I don't even considered myself a normal kid in my generation because I am out of touch with what is considered 'good' music.

I liked the early Green Day stuff like Dookie. Come American Idiot I was turned off them.

If I listen to punk which I sometimes do it's the British punk for me. The Prodigy is the main one I would listen to. I like to listen to some Sex Pistols on rare occasions.

A decade ago I met a guy about how 20 and he was into all the bands I was into when I was a teenager in the 80s. He said his friends were all into it too. I later saw others with like a DOA or even a Gorilla Biscuits tee. I thought, wow.
I saw Social D with Dropkick Murphys and there were 'millenials' as well as old guys like me.
But when I was young like that, we went to see bands like the Buzzcocks when they started the second phase of their career with some really mature songwriting.
I even saw how the Replacements reunited and sold out a smaller arena in Brooklyn like 2 years ago to mostly a 30-and-under crowd. And they did most of their early "trash" punk.
I liked Dookie when it came out cos at least it was some punk.. Everything else had jumped on the grunge bandwagon and Mudhoney never got big off it.
I better stop or I'll go on. Oh I play guitar too.
You got me thinking about SoCal punk and I remembered an NPR podcast with X members 'bout how the 70s became the 80s in LA punk scene. They wrote a memoir.:

Last edited:
i love social distortion and rancid!

my music obsession had been with electronic/proper club dance music since i was 5 years old,a dj in particular was my guy of choice;pete tong.i was/am obsessed with him and his music, in a healthy non romantic way since 10 years old.
i still obsess over them,but i also obsess over metal and rock,ever since around early teen years,marilyn manson and iron maiden in particular were my obsessions.
from 11 to 29ish i was obsessed with rap and hip hop, i was specifically obsessed with the fugees,lauryn hill.i still listen to 'the score' now.

and another obsession was with vanessa maes music-still going strong with my interest, i learned the violin because of her i was told i was pitch perfect.

I owe a debt of gratitude to the simplicity and attitude of Green Day's "American Idiot" album, I have to admit.

I'd been discouraged from playing the guitar for a few years by a bad music teacher at school, and when I was 14 in high school I decided to pick it up again only to have people make fun of me for being bad at it.

Then American Idiot came out and everyone thought it was really cool... and I could play everything on that album easily, so suddenly people decided they thought I was kinda cool and stopped bullying me - and that gave me the confidence boost I needed to motivate me to really devote a lot of time and effort into music in the long term.

I've been a punk most of my life, I started with 2000s pop punk and the old bands that everyone knows before getting really into hardcore later on.

I love most genres of punk, everything from pop punk, folk punk, ska punk etc. to hardcore, youth crew hc, straight edge, riot grrrl, afropunk, rapcore, queercore, powerviolence, digital hardcore etc.

I really like metal too but hc & punk means a lot more to me.

I think it's a good thing that those bands exist because for a lot of people, me included, pop punk was a gateway to "true punk". I still like Green Day's early albums before American Idiot.

I like Green Day, and adore Blink 182.
Totally agree with you that these bands have their place. Teenagers who catch them on TV before they get to the heavier stuff

Nice thread.

I'm more obsessed with metal music than punk, but I love a lot of punk as well.

If we are talking about my favorite punk bands they'd include: Iggy and the Stooges, Black Flag, The Exploited, Operation Ivy, The Misfits, and several others.

New Threads

Top Bottom