• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsession Question

Sashi

I am "big" on obsessions. Since I learned recently I have Asperger's Syndrome, it helps to explain why I am big on them. I've had some wild ones in my life, beginning in childhood.

My first obsession that I can recall was with soap operas. This was back in the late 1960's and 70's.
During the summer, I'd watch them from 11 to 3 in the afternoon. When I wasn't watching them, I was in the room or the side of the house pacing back and forth in my imaginary world where the cast was often soap opera characters. I was the star and the director both. I may have made up better storylines than those who did it for a living. HA!

Almost 12 years ago, I came down with a strange obsession, even for me. This obsession started after another obsession ended over a guy I did know who I was "nuts" about. With him in the recesses of my brain, I guess I needed an obsession to put back in the center. The object was someone I never will meet. She was a missing person who has yet to be found. Her family was for a time constantly in the spotlight in my neck of the woods. My fantasies would be various scenarios in which she was found alive. I really came up with some wild stories in my mind and played them out, sometimes pacing the floor as I did as a child, but NOT at the side of the house.

On one hand, I agreed with the presumption of death. I feared that the moment I first saw the headlines. But I hoped along with the family. For years, there wasn't a day I didn't think of her case. I still do on occasion, but not like I used to...thank goodness!

My question is there anybody out there who has obessions with people they have never met? Just wondering how common or UNcommon it is.

Um. No. Not really. I obsess more with things and people I know. As for people I don't know, I don't even like to think about them. It makes life harder and complex, but it works. I do better online. I don't obsess over people I don't know that often. If I have ever obsessed over someone I don't know, then it was when I was younger. And I don't remember doing it, so I don't think I did.

New Threads

Top Bottom