• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsessed About A Clean Car

Book Reader

How many obsesses about having their car clean? To me it is the one place I can control. Cleaner than the day it was new. Into all those detailing videos and using similar products. After all, I spend 2 hours a day commuting to work in it.

I used to be obsessed to the point of begrudging any other family member use it.

If it was just me using the car my standards would be far higher than they are now.

I can’t go around snarling at the family or growling at my grandson because they’ve put fingerprints on the glass and paintwork.

Just not right is it?

I do miss the buzz from a job well done though :)

Yeah, my wife drives 5 miles to work. I drive 60 round trip. To save we use her car on weekends. She is not OCD about her car. If she is in mine she has to click her heels together before getting in and don't touch anything. She would rather take her car and not worry.

I spend more time in my car then with my family in the evenings. Plus, stressful job and I make three time more money I need to have a clean car or just let me quit and work close to home at Walmart. 100K verses 20K? I would gladly drive a dirty car and make 80K less money. And commute 5 miles as well.

Not all can have a dedicated car. I am lucky. But I do detail hers as well. She is not into clean but loves when I clean hers.

Have you very sponge washed the underside of one or waxed an oil pan yet?

Just waxes inside the doors. Not underneath, wish I had a lift in the garage and I would. If I had a motorcycle I would wax the whole damn thing.

Why wouldn't you wax the door jambs?

A lift?
Who has the ceiling height for that at home?

I did it with a common floor jack for years.

I think your car must be filthy if you haven't touched that part yet :p

If you want some really sneaky detailing tips, ask, I used to do it for used car lots and my customers in my repair shop years ago ;)

Do any of these qualify as clean?
1968 Ford Mustang Ragtop

aspie demolition derby car

The green derby mile

Yes, I do wash out the engine and polish it as well. Underneath, not so good my bad. It bothers me but that is the way it is.

Would you guys please come visit me and my car? :) I get out of the car and come straight inside and stay there pretty much until I go somewhere and go straight to the car and go.

Would you guys please come visit me and my car? :) I get out of the car and come straight inside and stay there pretty much until I go somewhere and go straight to the car and go.
You do know that if you wash and wax them properly, they will last much longer, right?

Guilty as charged.

Except today, when I found my car with about four inches of snow and ice on it, even while in the carport. :eek:

I used to be. I had a rusty old car but was picky about getting every grain of dirt out of the carpet and seats, keeping the dash clean and shiny, hand washing it once a week, etc. Also used to sit in the passenger seat and make sure the view from there was good and clean, in the hopes I ever had a date sitting there. Then I got a super nice low mileage Pontiac 6000 wagon that I loved, and modded it and babied it and drove it everywhere. Camped in it with a few people too.

Then life happened. Got married, had a kid, got divorced and the ex moved downstate with the kid. For most of the last 16 years I drove 30-40k miles a year and worked my life away and was still broke. My beautiful wagon fell apart in a few years so I picked up cheap old cars. As long as my cars were running good and had good tires, that's all that mattered. I never washed them, they filled up with tools and parts and other useful junk. I had to fix them at rest stops and store parking lots many times.

Well my kid is almost 18 so the trips are almost done. Unfortunately the traveling has really taken a toll on my body. Driving isn't fun anymore. I just want to stay home whenever possible.

But last summer I found a low mileage, near mint condition 1989 Ciera wagon, almost a twin of my first wagon, same color white too. This is my 2nd chance. I owe it to myself to keep this one nice and clean for many years. I've driven it very little and have been working on it here and there in the garage over the winter. I will never drive this one in snow.

Not exactly obsessed with keeping it clean, but driving with a foggy windshield that obscures my vision kinda screams out loud "CLEAN ME!", and then...one thing just leads to another. Rather than leave it halfway done, I put everything back where it belongs, get the trash out, get another scented tree to liven up the interior, sort out all the paperwork in the glove compartment, wash the exterior...

OK, on second thought, maybe I am obsessed and in denial of this.

If you have a newer car and love driving in the city, consider ride sharing!
Then, your "obsession" to a clean car will more than pay off!
Heck, I'll give you my promo code if you need one!

Turn on the A/C. It will prevent fog on the windows. Even using heat I have the A/C on to prevent fog.

Is that true!? I've just been turning everything on and eventually the fog goes, but I've never known what I'm supposed to do be doing.

New Threads

Top Bottom