1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Object Personification

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Soleil, Aug 12, 2020.

1. Soleil

Soleil Active Member It's My Birthday!

So I've heard that some autistic people have strong attachments to objects. But what about personification of inanimate objects, attributing feelings and emotions to them?

For example, one time I drew a picture of all my stuffed animals racing, with Hot Dog Dog taking the win. But then I redrew it as a tie so I wouldn't hurt the others' feelings. This may sound reasonable-ish, since I was a kid back then.

So another example: I had to buy a new cell phone a few years ago. But I never got rid of the old one, partly because I don't want it to feel like I've abandoned it.

When I'm changing the trash at work, I sometimes rearrange the trash cans a little, and I wonder how they like it. Do they hate being split up, or were they arguing and now they feel better not being neighbors?

It sounds crazy to say that my plushies have feelings, but if I say they don't, then I might hurt their feelings.

Is anyone else like this? Is this an autistic thing, or am I just weird?

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member

I don't believe this is confined to autism or any particular neurological condition.

Can't say I've ever personalized an inanimate object, though the first time I ever even heard of Asperger's Syndrome involved a tv show about a man on the spectrum who was in love with an anatomically correct doll. He was one of a handful of people chronicled on a National Geographic tv show called "Taboo: Forbidden Love".

Of course this goes beyond mere personification. I also recall a woman literally in love with the Berlin Wall, as well as a man who was more than passionate about his Volkswagen Beetle. For a more clinical understanding of such things, you might start here:

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/in-excess/201307/intimate-and-inanimate

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Misery

Misery Photo-Negative V.I.P Member

I threaten electronics and related things sometimes, if that counts.

Really, if Bob the Bloody Stupid USB Cable doesnt want a scissors-related incident, it should just do it's one and only job properly (spoiler, Bob met the scissors in the end).

And yes, I actually do sit there and threaten inanimate objects with a pair of scissors. It's not a joke. It's also not an empty threat.

Just electronic things that dont work right though. Other things I'm a bit more kind to.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ezra

Ezra Relax, it's just chaos.

I pretty much only personify things I stub my toe on. I get angry with it and want to take a hammer to it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. PastelPetals

PastelPetals Well-Known Member

Yeah I do that. I also collect many collectible toys and stuffed animals and I personify them. I also personify nature. At times I feel more connected to objects, bugs, and trees than I do to people and animals.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Thinx

Thinx Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Well, I do think there's something here I think is related to my autism. I relate to places, familiar places that I love, seem like they are there for me in a way that people aren't.

Also animals, I say hello to cats in particular, but not people. Also I do quite like cute little toy animals, and yes, if I let myself go there, I do think about their potential feelings. As I say that, I m wondering if this is a way of putting aspects of myself into the toy, then relating.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. SusanLR

SusanLR Well-Known Member

Yes, the same connection with odd nature things. Bugs, a certain type tree, animals.
    I can relate to feeling this with certain plush toys also. A life size standing Snoopy and my
    purple unicorn that sleeps beside me with it's head on my pillow.
    Sometimes with my head under his and my hand in it's mane.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. NothingToSeeHere

NothingToSeeHere Asexuowl V.I.P Member

I've never experienced this myself but I have an autistic acquaintance who feels that some objects have thoughts and emotions. He identifies as an animist and objectum-romantic and is in a mutual (or so he believes) committed romantic relationship with his car. He genuinely believes that his car is just as deeply in love with him as his is with it. I don't think this sort of experience (delusion?) is restricted to autistic people though.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. menander

menander Well-Known Member It's My Birthday!

I guess it's not out of the realm of the Possible. We are all atoms and made of the same stuff. Because we register consciousness in one way and attribute that to neurons, how do we know nueons are the only form that can produce consciousness? We just think that because we are measuring all consciousness ("possible" or "impossible") based on our own experiences. That's flimsy.

Aren't there religions that believe we are all one, every atom, etc.

• Like Like x 3
  10. NothingToSeeHere

NothingToSeeHere Asexuowl V.I.P Member

The possibility of Panpsychism (the belief that everything material, however small, has an element of individual consciousness) is actually becoming increasingly popular (by increasing popular I mean it's slowly going from mocked and ridiculed to being considered a genuine theory worth of study, it's still very niche and controversial) among philosophers and neuroscientists who study the nature of consciousness.

The question of why consciousness exists and what creates it is pretty impenetrable when you really consider it deeply. "consciousness exists in some form in everything from the smallest atom" may be just as probable as "consciousness suddenly comes into existence for some unknown reason once a system becomes complex enough" or "consciousness suddenly comes into existence for some unknown reason when organic brains become complex enough".

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Soleil

My feelings towards these objects are neither sexual nor romantic, but it's interesting to see I'm not the only one who's like this.

I suppose it's somewhat understandable to personify plushies and living things like trees, but to also consider the feelings of things like tables or buildings (as I do sometimes) seems taking it a step further.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Jumpback

Jumpback Well-Known Member

I thought that I had seen that such things are more common with autistic spectrum people. In a way it makes sense, human desires for companionship and a loved one and so on don’t disappear just because people are too complicated to deal with

13. Aspychata

Aspychata Serenity waves, beachy vibes

After my fifth car accident, l really felt like my car saved my life. One really bad accident was in LA. I could have wiped out even worse then l did. So then l felt like my car was a temple. I had to give it up to Goodwill because it symbolized my horrible divorce in LA. Now my trusty jeep protects me because l have my own idiot patrol of bad drivers. lol

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. SDRSpark

SDRSpark Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I was a lot like this as a kid. Less so now as an adult, though I do still get more attached to objects than many people (I think...I can't see inside their heads so I really don't know lol.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

I definitely do this at times. Almost as if I have some sort of relationship with the object. For some reason, they always seem to agree with me, lol!

As others have said, I don't think this is unique to those on the spectrum, although it may be more likely.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. HeroOfHyrule

HeroOfHyrule Chicken Chaser

Animals and trees I personify a lot, and I used to do that to items when I was a kid. I've also noticed that I extensively personify NPCs in games for some reason, even though they're just programmed pixels on a screen. It's hard to restart towns in Animal Crossing because of this. lol

• Like Like x 1
  17. Aspychata

Aspychata Serenity waves, beachy vibes

Plushies- l have been guilty of assigning attributes to them. Right now l have a guard dog. He protects my apartment and gives free cuddles. He doesn't argue with me. He doesn't call me names. He never diss (s) my choices in bathing suits or my eating habits. He is potty trained and never barks. l have no idea what to name him.

18. onlything

onlything Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Guilty as charged, I did it before. I would do it with my graphic design laptop. Not the best kind but it helped me go through university and some rough patches so when it started to break down and I had to get a new one - well, it felt off and I didn't want it to think that I'm abandoning it despite replacing it with a newer model. It's an oldie now but I made sure it has a nice home still and exchanged parts etc. Maybe it childish but at times objects can seem closer to me than people. They don't judge, they have no expectations, they are rarely unpredictable and do what they were created to do. They will never hurt or ridicule you, never abandon you. People on the other hand, well, you know yourself.

Objects are rarely dangerous on their own, so I suppose they are simply safer to form attachment to... And far too often they are also simply more dependable than fickle humans.

19. Soleil

I was thinking of physical objects, but I think this is pretty much the same idea, and I do it too. I've never played AC, but there's no way I'd be able to start over either.

But some games, like Final Fantasy Tactics, where I start off with a ragtag bunch of low-level misfits and raise them into a squad of elite warriors... I honestly care for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. ASD_Geek

ASD_Geek Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Yes, this is me! Ever since I can remember, I would ascribe feelings or felt like objects had feelings and would feel bad for not picking a certain item or for abandoning one if I were to throw it out.

• Agree Agree x 1