• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

NT with many Aspie friends seeking a deeper understanding

Hi everyone, fate has brought many people with autism into my life both as friends and students. I also have a relationship with an aspie which presents certain questions that remain unanswered. Very happy to be here and meet you all and I am sure some of you already know me from another autism forum.:smile:

upload_2020-8-1_12-20-46.png

:hibiscus: @Thank you Alexej. I just had a Zoom meeting with a 28 year old male friend/ex student who is considering getting an official diagnosis. When I taught him as a child he was diagnosed with PDD not autism. I couldn't really advise him on this. Are there any reasons that would be a contra-indication to getting a formal diagnosis in his late 20's? He just lost his job because of Corona's impact on the economy.

Hello HibiscusFlower! Nobody is offended by straightforward questions; that's how we offend everybody else! Ask away, and welcome. This is the friendliest forum I ever saw for this stuff.

Hello and welcome to the forum, I hope people are able to answer your questions!

:hibiscus: @Thank you Alexej. I just had a Zoom meeting with a 28 year old male friend/ex student who is considering getting an official diagnosis. When I taught him as a child he was diagnosed with PDD not autism. I couldn't really advise him on this. Are there any reasons that would be a contra-indication to getting a formal diagnosis in his late 20's? He just lost his job because of Corona's impact on the economy.
When you say PDD you mean Pervasive Development Disorder, right? I believe that when the DSM-5 came out a lot of those diagnoses (Asperger's, PDD, etc.) were merged into Autism Spectrum Disorder, so technically he already has an autism diagnosis. If that's the case I don't think he needs to necessarily get rediagnosed, but it could still be helpful to figure out his specific support needs as an adult, especially if that's what he's looking for, just more professional support.

And of course, it's possible your country doesn't even use the DSM and all that wouldn't really matter, and would further explain why he's looking to get a rediagnosis. In that case I still don't think it would prevent him from getting a proper diagnosis, and might possibly even help since it's already been shown he has similar issues.

Yep autism is defined as a pervasive developmental disorder, so I don't get why they came up with PDD as a separate diagnosis. Maybe they gave it to those who did not fit the criteria for classic severe autism.

Welcome HibiscusFlower, hope we can be of help :)

I don't get why they came up with PDD as a separate diagnosis. Maybe they gave it to those who did not fit the criteria for classic severe autism.
You are correct. It means generally autistic, but not fitting more specific forms like Aspergers or Autism (in the DSM-4). PDD-NOS [Not Otherwise Specified]

NOS is used in other mental health diagnoses, too, that are not a perfect fit, but are a good general match.

Well, following yet another flood, I went ballistic and called a meeting of the housing committee and the maintenance company, told them it was the 8th flood in 12 months and threatened them with legal action. They consequently cleaned the drains, uprooted several banana trees near the drains :palmtree::cactus::hibiscus::herb:and poisoned the remaining roots. The pest control was called in and now we shall see if that solves the problem. Thanks for asking K, it has been a challenging time. I was a little concerned about you because I hadn't seen your posts on our other forum, so really happy to talk to you.

Well, following yet another flood, I went ballistic and called a meeting of the housing committee and the maintenance company, told them it was the 8th flood in 12 months and threatened them with legal action. They consequently cleaned the drains, uprooted several banana trees near the drains :palmtree::cactus::hibiscus::herb:and poisoned the remaining roots. The pest control was called in and now we shall see if that solves the problem. Thanks for asking K, it has been a challenging time. I was a little concerned about you because I hadn't seen your posts on our other forum, so really happy to talk to you.
Sounds like you had what my family call a “do-it-all day”!
That is good news: hopefully you will be dry and clean from now on (and vermin free shortly).

Yes, I lost patience with various aspects of another place... signed up here on the recommendation of another member and haven’t really looked back aside from missing a few of the good eggs (such as yourself)

New Threads

Top Bottom