• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Notifications and classical conditioning?

Crazi

I didn't really know where to put this thread so I put it here with the thought that- people literally get obsessed with social media like face book and even forums like this that have notifications.

And I think i figured out why- notifications start to evoke excitement and the positive feelings associated with the first several or maybe the good notifications that you have- the powerful ones that impact your emotions. BUT as time goes on, not all notifications are as exciting and you start (or at least I do) feeling let down when they aren't as god. And so here's where people start to get addicted to that alert or notification because they associate it ith the good feelings of social interaction. You know the kind of people who HAVE to answer a text no matter where they are? The ones who are chained to their phones/ computers. I do, as I sometimes am one of them. So yea, that idea just came to me. Thoughts?

Yep that notification tab is like a poker machine. Sometimes it holds a fortune, filled with love and understanding and other times, its like junk mail. Being as obsessive as I am tho, that little red notification tab, is like a moth drawn to light

I have noticed that some people regard Alerts (of thread posts)
or Tags (in Chat) as if they were threats, instead of indicators of
communication. It is apparently very upsetting to react this way,
to what, in all likelihood, is not in any way threatening.

I don't know what sort of background has led to some people
responding this way. I was initially a little startled by the "Boing"
sound of being tagged in Chat, but it isn't a problem. It doesn't
freak me out.

I was thinking of offering to be the target of Tags in Chat, for
people who get very anxious over being Tagged in Chat. The
target, like being "it" in a child's game of tag. I thought maybe
a person who was extremely anxious over Chat Tags could
eventually work through the feeling that some calamity is at
hand, after many many trials of tagging me, and seeing that
no harm ensued.

It was an idea.