• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not The Best Aunt In The World (To a Small Child)

Riley

My Aunt happens to be an amazing woman. Who loves me despite my short temper and constant threats towards her animals. And, as it just so happens, I'm an Aunt to the daughters of my older (half)sisters. You'd think I'd be just as good at this thing as said aunt was.

You'd be wrong. At least, when it comes to my 9-year old niece.

I get along well with my 17-18 year old niece. Who actually taught me various things. But when it comes to the 9-year old, I'm stuck, easily irritated, and borderline abusive.

And this isn't with all little kids. I actually get along well with little kids who aren't said niece. Mom/Eveyone else says it has to do with the fact she's kind of like a baby sister to me.

Maybe you assume that you'd be like your aunt,
but I don't know why. You are not your aunt.
You are you.
You don't have your aunt's years of experience.
And....you're just not the same person she is.

It sounds as if you'd like to be more flexible, resilient,
patient, and kind to the child, but you find her to be
very irritating.

To what degree does the idea that you're mean to her because she
is somehow slotted as your pseudo-little sister make sense to you?
If at all.

New Threads

Top Bottom