• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not sure what to do about this situation

Nic-gel

Hi Guys,

I suppose I should give a little history about my life before telling you the issue as I feel its important.

I sort of knew I had Aspergers years ago, and I did initiate the psychology process a while ago, but I never really got on with the person I was conversing with so never followed through. Jump to January 2018, after 10 years of suffering a gas-lighter boss, I had a mental breakdown (not that i admitted it at the time). I was off work and did try to return to work but it was mutually felt it was best for me to leave. During my time away, I reached out to psychology again but the waiting list was long and I had to wait. A few month prior to my diagnosis I was forced by the Job centre to work somewhere I knew in my gut that I would never cope with! During my short time employed, i was treated like a child after I mentioned my pre-diganosis of Asperger's syndrome, even though I could take a photocopier apart and rebuild it (the job i had done for more than 20 years prior). I was accused of many things by my fellow employees which I won't go in to just now - all because the environment wasn't right for me, me having Aspergers. When I'm unsettled my Asperger's syndrome worsens either that I was an easy target for them! Usually I can keep myself tightly in check, but ever since my Mental break down I seem to have lost that ability. I left the company after I complained about my treatment, they did 'an extensive investigation' and found no wrong doing. It was strange, as the person who did the investigation was the person involved with the issues.

I was given the formal diagnosis late in 2019 just in time for the pandemic to start hitting. Probably not the best time to get a diagnosis when things in my country shutdown.

My Asperger's effects me socially, I'm very uncomfortable around too many people and don't mind being alone. I feel i may have an air of 'oddness' that people pick up on subconsciously then think I'm weird. Lately this has amplified and the more people think I'm weird the more i become weird. I have limited interests and my main one is computers. I can spend many hours and days on mini projects that other people might find boring or uninteresting. Another thing I tend to do is analyze peoples body language.

Now to the problem, over the last few years people have started to call me someone else name. I took my car in for a service and they said hello James (lets say James as a name its not the name but we'll go with that) The issue is not they called me that name, its how they said it. I told them thats not my name repeatedly, but they'd not let it go. Over the last couple years, people have called me this person name many times. Its just lately it beginning to gain momentum. I went in for food shop ( a already hard situation most of the time) and I get called this name and people in the queue were whispering and saying things under there breath. Went in for fuel, same issue.

I've since did some digging and found a local man who 10 years ago did something bad, the picture of the person is not me( a well know news paper ran the story), I'm 12 years older than this guy, the guy is over 6 feet tall, i'm 5.9, and he's bald, I have loads more hair. It may just be paranoid thinking but I felt the other night I was followed home after leaving a shopping market.

All this is making me more anxious effecting my mental health, i was trying to rebuild my life and soon I start a new part time job. I fear for my safety, and feel that I'm being branded even though I'm not this person and I don't know what to do about it. I just want to be left alone!

Contact the police, record( in every way possible )what has happened, I've contacted them they helped .
Say Autism spectrum disorder, specifically high functioning autism to neurotypicals (to professionals! if they're knowledgeable about autism, if not Aspergers syndrome),contact the NHS, tell! them !you are autistic and say you need CBT, you can self refer to mental health services ,so some one records your health, this is where red tape begins.
Don't keep suffering ,contact the Samaritans tomorrow, do a webchat from 1800-2100 Sunday ,Mon-Thurs 1800-2200 ,or phone after or before that ,you can email but they haven't answered me this year .

Contact the police, record( in every way possible )what has happened, I've contacted them they helped .
Say Autism spectrum disorder, specifically high functioning autism to neurotypicals (to professionals! if they're knowledgeable about autism, if not Aspergers syndrome),contact the NHS, tell! them !you are autistic and say you need CBT, you can self refer to mental health services ,so some one records your health, this is where red tape begins.
Don't keep suffering ,contact the Samaritans tomorrow, do a webchat from 1800-2100 Sunday ,Mon-Thurs 1800-2200 ,or phone after or before that ,you can email but they haven't answered me this year .

Thanks for the reply streetwise.

I feel uncomfortable going by myself to the police as I get easily tongue-tied and but i don't really have anyone else to help. I have signed up for counselling and meet with them on Monday and i was going to ask advise. I will look in to CBT, but that could take at least a year for it to happen. I can't really talk to the Samaritans in my flat as its not very private and my neighbours the biggest gossip in the building

Thanks for the reply streetwise.

I feel uncomfortable going by myself to the police as I get easily tongue-tied and but i don't really have anyone else to help. I have signed up for counselling and meet with them on Monday and i was going to ask advise. I will look in to CBT, but that could take at least a year for it to happen. I can't really talk to the Samaritans in my flat as its not very private and my neighbours the biggest gossip in the building
The webchat is silent ,email or messenger the police, I messengered them ,with the CBT ,tell who you refer to ,that you are at risk, it can bump you up the queue!
There is a member here called @Thinx that could give you more psychological info as they're in the uk

Sounds pretty rough. I don't have any certain advice but what occurs to me off the top of my head is to 1) Start seeing a mental health therapist/counseler and 2) perhaps make a move to get a fresh start somewhere else where the possible mistaken identity isn't an issue.

I've contacted the police, I really hope this doesn't make matters worse than better.

@Tom I have thought of moving for a fresh start as i feel the place i live has lots of bad memories, but I have caring responsibilities that can't be ignored.

I think it maybe possible that you maybe targeted by a group of people. There isn't anything wrong with you. It's just people preying on you. I am a senior citizen. People really prey on senior citizens too. People work in groups and target individuals. Because of money you may have. Or specialized intelligence.

Please stay grounded. Do not respond to what is happening.

Please let us know how you are doing? Okay?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear you are up against this, it's good that you have contacted the police, I hope they will be helpful, let us know. It sounds like you have contacted a counselling service too, that's good. Your former employers sound unpleasant and as if they didn't follow correct procedures. I hope your new job will be better, it's good that you found something.

I think it maybe possible that you maybe targeted by a group of people. There isn't anything wrong with you. It's just people preying on you. I am a senior citizen. People really prey on senior citizens too. People work in groups and target individuals. Because of money you may have. Or specialized intelligence.

Please stay grounded. Do not respond to what is happening.

Please let us know how you are doing? Okay?

I feel your right in your thinking that I'm being targeted, i was diagnosed much older than most people, I feel that the people i used to work with are making my life a misery, for reasons I can't fully understand( i've not worked there in over 2 years) I can only see that its because my Asperger's makes me behave in ways that does not conform to what they see as normal. Even though i don't think i never did anything wrong. When I got my diagnosis, I had mixed feelings. On one hand, it was comforting to know my brain was wired different to other people, this was the way i understand it, on the other hand, other people can't accept i have a disability.

I feel your right in your thinking that I'm being targeted, i was diagnosed much older than most people, I feel that the people i used to work with are making my life a misery, for reasons I can't fully understand( i've not worked there in over 2 years) I can only see that its because my Asperger's makes me behave in ways that does not conform to what they see as normal. Even though i don't think i never did anything illegal. When I got my diagnosis, I had mixed feelings. On one hand, it was comforting to know my brain was wired different to other people, this was the way i understand it, on the other hand, other people can't accept i have a disability.

That's good. You can think outside of yourself and not internalize. This is great. Don't fall into paranoid thinking. These people prey on that type of thinking. I am lucky l got to hit you up first..
PM me if you need a honest voice.

No matter what l say. Don't let people prey on you.

Last edited:
That's good. You can think outside of yourself and not internalize. This is great. Don't fall into paranoid thinking. These people prey on that type of thinking. I am lucky l got to hit you up first..
PM me if you need a honest voice.

I will thanks, the police phoned me back and I made a phone appointment to talk to them them on the 29th.

I will thanks, the police phoned me back and I made a phone appointment to talk to them them on the 29th.

Please be aware that you can paint yourself as a bad person by what you say to the police. So l ask u to go in carefully. Unless people have done $$$ damage to you there isn't much to report. Please be aware of this.

Paranoid thoughts will throw you on the police Rader. I don't discount what you have gone thru. I have been targeted heavily by such. But to venture into paranoid behavior will screw you over.

Please be aware that you can paint yourself as a bad person by what you say to the police. So l ask u to go in carefully. Unless people have done $$$ damage to you there isn't much to report. Please be aware of this.

I'm starting to wonder if i've done the right thing now!

What you've got to know is British law is not exactly the same as American law ,US law takes into account weapons ,British law a lot!less! hate crimes ,discrimination are then treated differently, autism is regarded as a disability and thus discrimination, that's where a solicitor could help, but you have to report discrimination,its good to also find an autism advocate service so you not completely discombobulated

Don't internalize and blame yourself. Keep a steady head. And stay logical and unemotional. Try to stay busy keep your mind occupied. Perhaps find time for exercise and stay friends with supportive people. Also figure out if you need to move or do something differently in your life. This is the best advice l can give you. Finally remember you are a good person. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.

Last edited:
Update: Police phoned, but said that it wasn't illegal for someone to mistake you for someone else, even though i felt it was happening more often - he said it was unfortunate that the person had done something bad in the past. He said there was no crime and would keep the incident noted in case of escalation in the future.

Update: Police phoned, but said that it wasn't illegal for someone to mistake you for someone else, even though i felt it was happening more often - he said it was unfortunate that the person had done something bad in the past. He said there was no crime and would keep the incident noted in case of escalation in the future.
Good ,that's what I wanted the police to do(its a record that can be built upon) that's partly why I said record, the police aren't perfect ,my mother was a solicitor so she!knew! the police ,good to tell the counsellor how its effecting you and try to find an autism advocate service, NHS non autism advocate teams WONT help you with the police ,unless you're at risk ,then only possibly!!!!!!to be committed ,the NHS try everything to get you out of their buildings and keep you out.

New Threads

Top Bottom