• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not losing special interests

FlowerFlo

I have boht aspergers and adhd and i think i dont lose any of my special interests. Yeah, i will forget about them, but its just because i have so many. I am still into things i had special interests as a child, like guinea pigs, mice, the 3 world war and dollhouses.I do often find something new i find interesting but i just adds to the pile and i always come back to them i already have. Sometimes its really anoying, like if you try to decide what to watch on YouTube. Ohter Times its helpful that i know a bunch of stuff, You want to know what soil a cati needs?I got you. You want to know about child care? I got you. I think it has something to do wiht my memory issuses (eihter i gone remeber it for the rest of my life, or i will lose the memory of it in like a couple of weeks or less)

I can't comment on memory issues but I also have a huge number of interests. I don't worry about not remembering the details of each one "for the rest of my life" because the interest has already served its purpose in the short term and I can relearn it if needed.

If I get interested in a subject for a few weeks or months, then put it asisde, very often that interest will come back at a diffetent time of my life. I find I do recall details I thought I had forgotten. For example, I used to love searching for Sears kit homes built from the 20s and 30s. After a while I had explored the subject as much as I was able to at the time. Now, 20 years later, I am in an area where there are many of these homes and I am interested all over again. I find myself driving down the road "Oh look, I think that is The Puritan!".

There are things I will forget of course. But I can relearn it. There is nothing riding on this. It is not my career. It is just what I do for myself.

Mine have stayed pretty constant over the last 50 years. Science, photography, nudism, outdoors. The levels of these have varied over time but they have always been there.

Recreational shooting was really big with me once but has evaporated, becoming more difficult for reasons beyond my control. I suppose it has been replaced with writing and blogging.

I'm envious - you must have such a store of information you've built up over that time!

And, actually, I do want to know what soil is best for cacti! I recently picked up some seeds on a whim I wasn't sure what to do with.

I'm envious - you must have such a store of information you've built up over that time!

And, actually, I do want to know what soil is best for cacti! I recently picked up some seeds on a whim I wasn't sure what to do with.
Sandy soil! Cacti need very good drainage. Use a pot with enough depth to provide an inch or more of small gravel and then fill the pot with sandy soil.

Sandy soil! Cacti need very good drainage. Use a pot with enough depth to provide an inch or more of small gravel and then fill the pot with sandy soil.

Thanks for the info! I'm in central Fl - sandy soil is easily available. No gravel, though, so I'll have to pick that up on my next Lowes run.

Since the age of 10, I have been consistent with my interests in Geology, and especially the Paleontology of Trilobites. I get great satisfaction at contemplating deep time.

I can't comment on memory issues but I also have a huge number of interests. I don't worry about not remembering the details of each one "for the rest of my life" because the interest has already served its purpose in the short term and I can relearn it if needed.

If I get interested in a subject for a few weeks or months, then put it asisde, very often that interest will come back at a diffetent time of my life. I find I do recall details I thought I had forgotten. For example, I used to love searching for Sears kit homes built from the 20s and 30s. After a while I had explored the subject as much as I was able to at the time. Now, 20 years later, I am in an area where there are many of these homes and I am interested all over again. I find myself driving down the road "Oh look, I think that is The Puritan!".

There are things I will forget of course. But I can relearn it. There is nothing riding on this. It is not my career. It is just what I do for myself.
What an interesting time in our history with kit homes from Sears. That level of self sufficiency seems nearly alien now.

Thanks for the info! I'm in central Fl - sandy soil is easily available. No gravel, though, so I'll have to pick that up on my next Lowes run.
If you have an old pot, just break it up to 1" pieces. The 1" depth is a guide, not a must. You just want to provide good drainage at the root.

New Threads

Top Bottom