• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not liking change

My mom has told me a number of times about how I had a hard time with change as a child. She even brought it up with a doctor.

Well it's true for me even as an adult. Right now I am driving a car that is 22 years old. Partly because I don't want to spend the money for a new one. But also because I am adverse to changing to a different car. I am used to this one.

I like to watch game shows on TV but I realized that I am the only person I can think of who would not be happy about winning a new car. Doesn't that sound abnormal?

I realized that I am the only person I can think of who would not be happy about winning a new car.
But if you did win a new car, while it might feel strange at first, you might soon come to like that you had.

I know what you mean though. It doesn't sound abnormal. You just want things to be as they are, and it doesn't mean if things change it can't be for the better, but because it could also be worse, it's easier if they don't change, then none of that has to be dealt with.

No, not abnormal. It's quite a common thing. i.e. I eat the same thing every day for lunch, dinner, breakfast.
Watch the same shows over and over, when shops change their layout, I usually turn around and walk out, takes me a few tries before going back into the shop.

Accepting change has always been very difficult.
If things are going OK the way they are, that's how I want it to stay.
I get into a daily routine easily and don't like it disrupted.

As far as inanimate things like a car, I understand.
A car feels like an extension of me when I drive and getting used to another that is totally
different isn't easy.
If I won a new car and didn't like the feel, I guess I would look for a car I did like better and trade
it in on it.

A biggie with me is clothes.
I find a few pieces that are comfortable and fit just right and then they wear out and I can't find
another that I like as well. Shopping for clothes is a real challenge for me.

I don't mind change. Actually I quite enjoy it. If carefully planned in advance, that is. Sudden unexpected change, not really. Yes I plan for what I can with clothes and so on, buy a lot of the same item if possible. But mostly when it finally runs out, there's something I like out there, that's more appropriate to the times by then, and I get lots of that...

What sort of model car do you have? I love older cars. Childhood favourites growing up etc. I'd just worry if parts were going to start being problematic etc. when repairs are needed.

I was pondering this the other day - if I'd kept my first car I'd have saved over £30,000 which is kind of crazy.

Do you enjoy watching certain TV shows? I have a set menu of favourites that I'd happily watch again and again.

Ed

I flipped vehicles for years, possibly thousands of them.
Each one was like a new adventure with it's own unique challenges.

On the other hand, I still have a few rides I kept, one, my 1966 Chevy Caprice just crossed the 30 year marker of ownership a couple of years ago.
In 1965, I took a shine to the newly released '65 Chevy Impalas.
Later on in life gaining one became elusive to me as I was more interested in the Camaro and Firebirds from the musclecar era and gravitated towards those bodies because of their lighter weights.

One fall while looking for a winter rat (a winter rat is a beater car or truck that was bought just to preserve your pretty rides from the ravages of my most despised season of winter :p) my Caprice was located at a price I was willing to part with.
The original intention was to use it for that winter, then if it survived it rather unscathed, throw a quickie paintjob on it and flip it in the spring.
After realizing how clean the old girl was, she got cosmetically restored and brought into the inner circle.
Then once again after I scattered the engine just driving it normally, the performance bug bit me and I started throwing money at it.
It became a big heavy slow wannabe dragster that was no longer enjoyable driving it on the street.
Then I broke a section out of the frame pretty bad so it had to be disassembled for the repair.
After beginning a total restoration, it was decided that it would best serve me as a dedicated dragster, so when she finally comes out of hibernation, she will be a much lighter version of what she was with nearly 5 times the power output of her original engine :p

My Caprice was the first Chevy to bear that name in 1966 instead of it being a sub-model impala tag, so it does hold that significance as well.

Anyway, back on point, change is inevitable with products that are designed to fail.
Not only cars, all manufactured items are made to last a finite life, with some fairing longer than others due to their quality.
It is called planned obsolescence for a reason and unless you are both willing and skilled in preserving them, they will eventually serve their secondary purpose of selling new units.

On this round I'm sunk nearly 8 times the original retail cost of my old Chevy in it so far and will likely end up at 10 X upon completion just to put that into perspective.
That's not counting the tens of thousands of dollars worth of tools and equipment required to pull it off either, nor the several thousand hour of work it has required so far.
And it takes a lifetime of gaining mad skill levels as well.

By the way, I will be making my NHRA Super Street classed ride semi-legally street driveable so my racecar can still serve as a finicky miserable to drive ten second streetmachine.
Funny how that works, ain't it? :p

I understand about change. I was very slow to grow out of my toys and childhood because not being a child was inconcievable. I even lost friends because of it. When my mother divorced and we moved across the country I felt like part of me had been severed. Everything was different! Everything!
I am more adaptable now but it was a lot of work to get here.

Just watched this yesterday. Just posted this week. He talks about emotional attachment to physical objects in our lives. In this case,...think of your car. He talks about 3 traits,...one of them applies here.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"...a favorite motto of mine.

I have a Honda Civic coupe - the paint is fading on the roof and back of the car, there's a crack in the windshield, a few dents here and there, approaching 100k on the odometer, but the car is reliable, running well and I've been taking care of it well.

Not an automobile expert...wish I knew more than the basics, but I say if it still does what it's meant to do, if it's not broke then all's good.

Last edited:
Basically, when it comes to that daily-driver vehicle, there comes a point when the repeated mechanical "downtime", cost of repairs, and distrust of the reliability push you into a different vehicle.

Until then,...drive it.

I have a Honda Civic coupe - the paint is fading on the roof and back of the car, there's a crack in the windshield, a few dents here and there, approaching 100k on the odometer, but the car is reliable, running well and I've been taking care of it well.

If you are doing regular maintenance that car should be good for 200k, at least!
100k is "just broken in".

Sounds like normal ASD to me. I work from home and have ritualized routines I do every day and don't like change. And I drive a car until it dies as well. It's also smart because you save money.

Not to me. One time during a training session the instructor asked as part of some exercise 'If you could have any car in the world, which one would you pick'. People were answering BMW, Mustang, what-have-you but I was stumped. The only thing I could think of was the same car I had, only new. :D

I have owned the same car, a 2009 model, since 2013, but I do have plenty of dream cars I'd love to own...

But, I don't love change in general... I tend to have many habitual things I do, and struggle with any changes to those routines, which is of course quite typical for Autism/Asperger's

I know it's very intense for some of us, mine is a little milder but it is there... Although sometimes I feel like I'm less open to new experiences because I don't like the change that means...

I want to go back in time, technology wise, make for myself a quiet, peaceful life, and then keep everything the same forever.

New Threads

Top Bottom