• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not entirely sure I understand this, but it looks like hell for an Aspie

Ste11aeres

"CEO Adam Neumann sells investors on his vision for communal workplaces"
Why have an office, or even a cubicle, when you can have a "communal desk space"?
b1327ba90037ecc88a64140356eebdd4a1947145.jpg

WeWork: A $20 Billion Startup Fueled by Silicon Valley Pixie Dust - W…

ᗒ ͟ʖᗕ
I would not be able to work in such an environment, it looks like a lunchroom. Couldn't concentrate on my job at all, if the people beside me were talking. I wonder how efficient it might be?

Last edited:
I don't understand how a company that would want communal workspaces couldn't just do the dirty work themselves rather than paying an expensive outsider.

YIKES! Where is the door to that hideous "workspace"???

I think I would need a better understanding of Japanese culture to understand if this would be a good or a bad thing for them. But I would refuse to work there!

I don't understand how a company that would want communal workspaces couldn't just do the dirty work themselves rather than paying an expensive outsider.

And why the bloody hell would you need $20B just to repurpose a conference room. I'm sorry! But what value does this company really have to offer anyways? Looks like to me that any company can do this for about $20K worth the renovations to their office space.

It's a conference room, how revolutionary.

When they built the new building at my uni they had the bright idea to have a 'communal, open plan office area' instead of offices, and all the academics/researchers simply refused to work there. They had to put in a bunch of walls to turn it into offices. Complete waste of money.

Strikes me as just another "bean-counter" who wants to trim an office budget at the expense of human productivity. :rolleyes:

A really stupid idea regardless of neurological considerations if you ask me. :eek:

It's a conference room, how revolutionary.

When they built the new building at my uni they had the bright idea to have a 'communal, open plan office area' instead of offices, and all the academics/researchers simply refused to work there. They had to put in a bunch of walls to turn it into offices. Complete waste of money.

And you wonder why tuition is so high.

I think I would need a better understanding of Japanese culture to understand if this would be a good or a bad thing for them. But I would refuse to work there!
It's actually American. All the people in that picture happened to be ethnically Asian, for some reason.

Open workspaces like that are hell for me. I've quit jobs if they transition to this kind of environment. It is absolutely sensory hell!

Meh, back when I worked on Hospital Radio, I used to have to attend regular Annual General Meetings for the Charity run Radio station, they were almost always held in a big room at a local Pub, and if there's cheap Beer on tap, that's a big help.

Also, back in the school days, I was always in rather large classes, never used to bother me, except when they had substitute teachers in who didn't understand my need to use the Bathroom at irregular times.

Meh, back when I worked on Hospital Radio, I used to have to attend regular Annual General Meetings for the Charity run Radio station, they were almost always held in a big room at a local Pub, and if there's cheap Beer on tap, that's a big help.

Also, back in the school days, I was always in rather large classes, never used to bother me, except when they had substitute teachers in who didn't understand my need to use the Bathroom at irregular times.

That's not the same in terms of what the original post is all about. Meeting rooms are intended to be communal spaces for temporary events usually lasting minutes or hours. Not intended as a space to do your regular job. As for classrooms, they must inherently be communal spaces as a single instructor must communicate to several people at once. But then we've seen numerous accounts here of Aspies who have a terrible time attempting to follow an instructor in an overcrowded classroom as well. I got by in overcrowded classrooms often by sitting in the very front or back of the room when I had the choice.

Try to imagine working in an office, where you sit all day long performing a certain function, and you are sitting directly next to another person who may be doing the same function. Worse if you have people on both sides of you. Then consider that such a job may involve telephone conversations all day long. Where you are continuously hearing unwanted voices and sounds while trying to think and do your job. And that you're not expected to leave your workspace other than to go to the restroom. It's a sensory nightmare, apart from the possibility that the person working next to you might be excessively chatty.

I once worked in such an office environment. Rows and rows of desks with endlessly loud, ringing telephones. Luckily that lasted only a year and a half before the introduction of cubicles, which everyone praised. Though the cubicle walls were generally little more than waist-high. Visually you had a sense of privacy, while much of the noises outside your cubicle were still quite audible.

I still recall that our branch manager had a rule against putting anything on the walls of the cubicle. So I improvised and made a number of charts used in my job that I taped to a single sheet of cardboard which simply rested against the cubicle wall. LOL...the Operations Manager was not amused, but she let me keep it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
That's not the same in terms of what the original post is all about. Meeting rooms are intended to be communal spaces for temporary events usually lasting minutes or hours. Not intended as a space to do your regular job. As for classrooms, they must inherently be communal spaces as a single instructor must communicate to several people at once. But then we've seen numerous accounts here of Aspies who have a terrible time attempting to follow an instructor in an overcrowded classroom as well. I got by in overcrowded classrooms often by sitting in the very front or back of the room when I had the choice.

Try to imagine working in an office, where you sit all day long performing a certain function, and you are sitting directly next to another person who may be doing the same function. Worse if you have people on both sides of you. Then consider that such a job may involve telephone conversations all day long. Where you are continuously hearing unwanted voices and sounds while trying to think and do your job. And that you're not expected to leave your workspace other than to go to the restroom. It's a sensory nightmare, apart from the possibility that the person working next to you might be excessively chatty.

I once worked in such an office environment. Rows and rows of desks with endlessly loud, ringing telephones. Luckily that lasted only a year and a half before the introduction of cubicles, which everyone praised. Though the cubicle walls were generally little more than waist-high. Visually you had a sense of privacy, while much of the noises outside your cubicle were still quite audible.

I still recall that our branch manager had a rule against putting anything on the walls of the cubicle. So I improvised and made a number of charts used in my job that I taped to a single sheet of cardboard which simply rested against the cubicle wall. LOL...the Operations Manager was not amused, but she let me keep it. :rolleyes:

I actually WANT to do Office work, only obstacle apart from the obvious, is that the Agencies keep saying I can't type fast enough.

The Office culture wouldn't bother me either.

I actually WANT to do Office work, only obstacle apart from the obvious, is that the Agencies keep saying I can't type fast enough.

The Office culture wouldn't bother me either.

Keep in mind that office culture is not synonymous with the physicality of an office environment. You can have a good culture that is spoiled by this type of office setup as mentioned by the OP.

It also depends on the nature of the work you're doing, and how much concentration, multitasking and communications it may require. Simple tasks can be accomplished in a hectic environment. More complex tasks requiring a lot of thought with infinite interruptions can be another matter. After all, you may find other office opportunities where keyboarding is just incidental to the actual job.

In essence office jobs can have many variables in terms of your actual work environment versus your ability to deal with them on a daily basis. An important consideration I'd think for most anyone on the spectrum. Kind of like searching for an apartment, where even at the point you move in there may be any number of sensory issues you didn't see coming.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom