• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Not being body aware?

nyxjord

Does anyone else have issues where they aren't always aware of where every part of their body is? Like usually I am hyper aware of it, but if I am thinking about something else and I'll start bumping into or hitting other things (desk, chair , wall, door, etc)? It's not on purpose, it's just like I'm not aware of my body being that close to whatever the object is or thinking the object is farther away? And then I'll get mad because something touched me without my being aware of it first. Anyone else like this?

Yes, I bump into things quite a lot when I'm not concentrating, or not watching where I'm going. I've gone smack into a lamp post a couple of times.

I run into stuff, trip, and fall all the time when I'm at home, not so much when I'm out but I'm usually spending a good amount of my focus on walking straight and not drawing attention to myself.

It is my understanding (which means that it may be wrong) ,that this is due to poor proprioception. Proprioception basically is your bodies ability to work with other parts of your body. Those people with good proprioception are athletic. Those people with poor proprioception are clumsy. I have read that in is common for Aspies to have poor proprioception.

^^ Yeah I have to intensely focus on where each part of my body is at all times. Otherwise I'll knock into something and then get mad that something hit me.

Yeah, bad enough that I needed special ed PE as a kid. Didn't help much, it's rare for me to not have at least a few cuts and scrapes and bruises and burns in various stages of healing. GF is so used to it that she doesn't even look up from whatever she's doing when she hears a *crash!bang!* followed by a "sonuvabitch!"

Yes!!! My fiancé thought I had tourettes since I would do the same as you! I would do it all the time though so he never got used to it...

I bump into stuff all of the time. If I have to go into an area with low headroom, I place a hand above my head so I don't bang it. They call this visual spatial awareness. Yes, I have similar issues. I just chalk it up to one more symptom of mine on the spectrum.

I'm a loose-cannon wrecking ball in all environments. Any enclosed space I am in becomes a "Room of Many Fine Breakables."
Dyspraxia explains my adorable, distinctive, awkward gait of significant lateral sway.
Put away your Faberge Eggs before inviting me over! :D

I don't feel my body well, so I'm not always aware of pain or somatic symptoms.

I'm also a frequent flapper, ;) so maybe as a stim it reveals some proprioceptive sensory seeking.

During times of ongoing overload/brain-fog, my ability to sense my body is considerably less.

Last edited:
Coordination has never been one of my strengths. When I was a child professionals noted both fine and gross motor delays in me. All of my life I have been prone to tripping and stumbling, dropping things, bumping into corners, and just generally being a klutz.

Sports were certainly never my forte. While other kids were climbing ropes and performing cartwheels my best trick was a basic somersault. I was very poor at ball games, often missing the ball entirely. Needless to say, I was usually the last to be picked in gym class, except in basket ball, because I am freakishly tall.

As an adult I took up the ill-advised pasttime of roller derby. After months of practicing I still looked like Bambi on ice. I failed to to master basic menuvers (like tansitions and tomahawk stops) and ended up severely injuring myself.

I think this lack of awarenss extends to my driving as well. I am very poor at parking as I have very little idea as to where my wheels are. Quite often I end up much further from the curb than I suspect. I also tore apart somebody's bumper while backing out of a stall. >_<

Long story short; you are not alone nyxjord. I am very clumsy. I undertand this is also a common trait for those on the spectrum.

Whenever I had to play sport ball type games in gym in school I would always get hit in the head with the balls so I would try to hide in a back corner as much as possible, me "playing" basketball was really dumb I think I slowly walked back and forth over like a 10 foot space, just trying not to get hit or trampled by the rest of the class running back and forth. x.x

Tennis was way to scary, I don't think I really ever moved the racket away from the front of my face, I like bad-mitten okay though, bah why couldn't they of just let us play that in school?

Me, too. Sometimes when I meditate It feels like my arms are reversed. Sometimes I feel like I'm floating a little or I'm way short.

No, unfortunately I'm all too aware of my body.

Would love to be able to forget all about it, but when I can't walk long distances because of exhaustion and when I have to run to the toilet 20x a day, it's hard to forget my crappy body with all of its aches, pains and fatigue. If I get absorbed in something, then I do forget about it for a while. But then again, I'm hardly bumping into things if I'm sitting or lying still.

If I'm doing one thing and focused completely on it, then I'm usually okay. Add someone speaking or any background stress, and then I bump into things &/or drop stuff. I have finally learned to step away from the stove, and if I am holding a knife to put it down if someone starts talking to me in the kitchen.

New Threads

Top Bottom