1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Northern California in the dark: Day 6

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by oregano, Oct 30, 2019.

1. oregano

oregano Judgment day #2: 29/10/2021? V.I.P Member

Parts of northcentral California, especially Sonoma and Marin counties north of SF and the heart of the former mining country east of Sacramento, have been suffering through a "public safety power shutoff" for nearly a week. Ever since a failed PG&E power line sparked a fire that burned a city of 27,000 to the ground a year ago, killing 85, the utility is shutting off power whenever the offshore winds blow.

Two back to back wind events mean no power since Thursday for many. It's getting bad, especially in gold mining country-no cell phones (the towers lost power), no internet, no ability to use credit cards, for those who have cash the stores aren't open anyway because all the perishable food rotted, etc. I read about a woman who has a 10 year old autistic boy and she can't prepare the only foods he will eat and he is getting sick from hunger. A candy store in Placerville lost all their ice cream-on the eve of Halloween.

America is now officially a Third World country. I hope to be able to retreat to my land in a year or so and hopefully it won't be to the point of looting and rioting in the fall of 2020. I changed my avatar to the cover of the survivalist novel Lights Out by David Crawford-the novel is about a EMP, but I still find it timely.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  2. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

Were not lost yet. Not everyone is doing like California. Nor does everyone agree with there view points. If possible move. Theres better places to be.

• Like Like x 1
  3. oregano

@Wolf Prince :

https://www.autismforums.com/threads/photos-of-my-land.26303/

Officially in California, but to the locals, they don't consider their area "California", preferring instead the colloquial "Jefferson". You can buy Jefferson flags and other merch at several places in Yreka. Very self-sufficient and independent people, except when a big group of outsiders tries to storm in and run the place differently. Examples are the Chinese Mob buying up lots of land for massive marijuana farms, causing the sheriff to run around ripping them all out; and the dopehead hippies and their drug dealers that settled on Karuk Tribe lands (to the west of Yreka in the Klamath River Canyon) in the 70s-eventually the locals hired mercenaries and set them loose to kill the hippies and their retinues and torch their stuff, at least according to one local legend. The Karuks still don't like to see white people pop up in Happy Camp which is the tribal capital, any who do tend to get ordered at shotgun point to scram. I still have a year or so before I will be able to afford to move.

4. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

Background:

"In October 1941, the Mayor of Port Orford, Oregon, Gilbert Gable, said that the Oregon counties of Curry, Josephine, Jackson, and Klamath should join with the California counties of Del Norte, Siskiyou, and Modoc to form a new state, later named Jefferson.

He was motivated by the belief that these heavily rural areas were underrepresented in state government, which tended to cater to more populous areas.

On November 27, 1941, a group of young men gained national media attention when brandishing hunting rifles for dramatic effect, they stopped traffic on U.S. Route 99 south of Yreka, the county seat of Siskiyou County, and handed out copies of a Proclamation of Independence, stating that the State of Jefferson was in "patriotic rebellion against the States of California and Oregon" and would continue to "secede every Thursday until further notice."

The state split movement ended quickly, though not before Del Norte County District Attorney John Leon Childs (1863–1953) of Crescent City was inaugurated as the Governor of the State of Jefferson on December 4, 1941."

Jefferson (proposed Pacific state) - Wikipedia

And there has been a revival of the idea in this current century.

5. oregano

@tree, a copy of the original proclamation, as well as the original gold pan which was modified for the state seal, sits in the entryway of the Siskiyou County Museum. I have read the proclamation, and it references a large deposit of copper ore that was believed to exist in the mountains of central Siskiyou County. Part of the motivation apparently had to do with this mine, and the belief that exploiting it would bring some relief from the Great Depression for the local area, which has never had much in the way of jobs except local government and cattle ranching, in addition to logging during the Gilded Age and mining of small gold lodes in the 1850s. If the copper lode exists, no geologist has ever pinpointed its exact location AFAIK, much less has there ever been any mining of it. Today, the main motivation locally is that the California govt is largely run according to the whims of power brokers in Los Angeles and Silicon Valley, whose ultraleft views are alien to people in the far north state-Trump won Siskiyou County 2-to-1 over Hillary.

6. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Something must inevitably change in this "Catch-22" scenario.

A utilities company cannot indefinitely and frequently shut off all electrical power just because of seasonal high winds and fire relative to their own inferior infrastructure. Some people are bound to die without electricity. And a bankrupt company cannot recapitalize to adequately replace all that inferior infrastructure.

The state must consider industry nationalization or find another capitalized entity willing to buy and upgrade the existing infrastructure while being legally held harmless in the process. With politicians vehemently supporting or opposing such concepts not to save lives, but to uphold their petty political convictions.

Then again it might be more useful to focus on the prospects of making pigs fly. :oops:

I'm just glad I got out of California in 2008. When PG&E admitted that they have problems with failing transformers in my area because they were so old and antiquated, while the PUC wasn't interested in passing on the cost to customers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I have no desire to live in California, either, despite its beauty. The power lines need to be buried and controlled deliberate burns used to reduce fuel for wildfires. Go solar and/or wind-powered whenever possible with buried transmission lines. I doubt there remains sufficient water in California for hydro-electric generation. Too many people there.

As you said, flying pigs are a better bet than politicians getting something done for the good of all people.

8. Judge

I'm still haunted by an experience when I still lived in California. Woke up on a weekend morning and opened up my third-story living room sliding door that faced west towards the hills of Berkeley and Oakland.

With a sudden whoosh of very hot air flowing in, I thought to myself "There's gonna be a bad one today".

I was right.

Oakland firestorm of 1991 - Wikipedia

Mother Nature in California isn't going to change. So it's up to both of California's utilities companies and taxpayers to make up the difference...somehow. Though without being held harmless for inadequate infrastructure.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  9. oregano

Pacific Power serves much of south Oregon north of the CA border (Josephine and Jackson counties, among others) as well as the main population centers of Siskiyou County along Interstate 5 and California 3 in Scott Valley. Here is their criteria for a shutoff:

Why Pacific Power does not have any Public Safety Power Shutoffs planned in our region

They require high winds, low humidity, and hot temperatures. This is opposed to PG&E which apparently just needs high winds and low humidity. And many areas affected by PG&E shutoffs didn't even have any wind! The utility said something along the lines that the power grid is connected and blah. That doesn't explain why the power would be out in Rocklin, CA (PG&E) and on across the road in Roseville, which has its own municipal power company. Furthermore, the power was still on in San Francisco and the heart of Silicon Valley on the valley's west side while the east side barrios were in the dark. It seems as if the billionaires get to have electricity while the poor people in the suburbs get to suffer. The conspiracy theorists on the net are already out in force saying that the billionaires are trying to kill off the inconvenient poor.

By the way, the power was back for most by Thursday evening.

10. puzzlingbill

puzzlingbill Definitely Someone

This doesn't have anything to do with showing preference to anyone. PG&E can't afford the liability that would be caused by another fire. They think the power outages are the only way to avoid that. Californians (like me) who get their power from another power company haven't had any problem.

I suspect PG&E cut corners somewhere along the way in power network maintenance. They have a very long history of cutting corners - see the movie Erin Brockovich

11. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

I don't live in California, but the state in general seems to be a mess and lacks quality leadership. I watched something on PBS a while back about wildfires and how they are a naturally occurring phenomenon and part of the normal life cycle of the forest. It clears out old trees and overly congested forests. Thinning out the forests may prevent the fires. My understanding is the government won't allow companies to harvest trees due to ridiculous environmental protections. The state also has massive debt despite extremely high tax rates. They gladly take an $800 minimum fee (tax) from out of state companies doing business in the state. The people of California need to wake up (no offense) and vote out the clowns in charge. But it's probably a lot easier to move.

12. puzzlingbill

I DO live in California. Sounds like you're another one getting your "truth" from right-wing media, if you think this is the environmentalists' fault.

You're right about periodic wildfires clearing the brush. The biggest problem is that people want to live in beautiful places, and they don't realize until a fire is on the way that there are potential problems. That has absolutely nothing to with politics.

The idea that this is the fault of rich liberals and that the state is a disaster is partisan rhetoric.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Judge

Having spent many years in California as well, I'm inclined to agree.

Having watched PG&E as an investor-owned utility systematically avoid any substantial upgrading of its infrastructure, and being enabled to do so with what at varying times seemed nothing less than an "incestuous relationship" with the Public Utilities Commission.

Example:

"In October 2014, Commission President Michael Peevey decided to step down at the upcoming end of his second six-year term in December. Controversy was swirling around the agency at the time, for apparent cozy relationships with Pacific Gas & Electric, a utility whose gas line exploded in San Bruno killing eight people in 2010. His home in the Los Angeles suburb of La Cañada Flintridge was searched by criminal investigators in January 2015."

Considerations of stagnation, mismanagement and corruption that tends to transcend partisan politics. Where greed and incompetence have no flag.

California Public Utilities Commission - Wikipedia

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. oregano

At least with govt-owned utilities, if the board is incompetent the voters can throw them out in the next election, or recall them. With private utilities, the average Joe has no recourse to corruption and mismanagement. The bulk of utility stock is held by huge institutional investors like govt pension agencies who have zero concern over how the utility is operating, just so long as the big dividend checks keep coming. The main reason behind the big shutoffs is that PG&E can't afford the liability and bad publicity over any further massive fires caused by its lines. All the ratepayers money went towards giant salaries for the bosses, and is long gone. The people affected have zero leverage over the situation. The politicians whine and rant but in the end are too beholden to those fat campaign contributions from utility execs (paid for by ratepayers of course) to actually make any substantial change. So the average guy suffers and nobody cares. PG&E simply sets up tents at the county fairgrounds with big Honda generators for people to charge their phones, not that it matters since the cell towers have no power anyway. People are slowly realizing that they are on their own, something I realized a long time ago.

15. Judge

And yet the courts continue to support PG&E to craft its own plan to exit their Chapter 11 bankruptcy and at a snail's pace. Though none of this may matter given how Mother Nature seasonally ravages a tinderbox-dry landscape with high and hot fall winds blowing east-to-west.

Making PG&E little more than a sinking ship without any lifeboats. Perhaps as more property and lives are lost, the courts will revisit this matter sooner rather than later.

PG&E Stays in Charge of Mega-Billion-Dollar Bankruptcy Exit Plan

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  16. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

CNBC is certainly not right wing media. And neither is PBS.

California timber industry may be a 'piece of the puzzle' to help reduce state's raging wildfires

17. puzzlingbill

California is not perfect and I never said it was. I was referring specifically to the every-problem-in-the-world-can-be-blamed-on-the-liberals stuff.

The Public Utilities Commission was supposed to ensure that PG&E's lines were safe, particularly since they reach to many remote areas. Instead, PG&E bribed the CPUC to cut corners. That's the main source of the problem.

There are a lot of people with a lot of interests who could have helped here, including the logging industry. This issue has been so contentious for so long that anything like organized planning has not been possible.

The logging industry can say "if they'd done it our way things wouldn't be this bad." Absolutely true. However, really, anyone could make that same statement, except for the scumbags who got rich from this

• Like Like x 1
  18. Xerces Blue

Xerces Blue Evil Overload

California is a shining example of "Democratic party" fail.
    They've had political control of the state for along the lines of 50 years.
    "Party obstruction" is a pretty shallow excuse with that record.

And now Industry is fleeing the State
    Rising homelessness due to programs that don't get the homeless off the streets and into homes and jobs, But pay for more homeless to come there.
    Several of they're cities have "Poo Patrols" to deal with the homeless people doing their "business" in the streets - Costing their citizens thousands per day.

So much of the population is leaving the state my own state is having economic problems dealing with the people moving from there - Big increases of cost in the housing/rent market - Supply can't keep up with the demand - despite government help to build more housing.

One should NEVER count on the government to do something an efficient manner, ask anyone who's served in the military or had a government job.

"Good enough for government work" is a saying for a reason.
    For those who don't know this often means "who cares lets go to lunch"

19. Mary Terry

Mary Terry Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I think you need to review some history before making rash statements like "[Democrats] have had political control of [California] for along the lines of 50 years". A quick google search lists the following Republican governors of California in recent times:

Earl Warren 1943 - 1953
    Goodwin Knight 1953 - 1959
    Ronald Reagan 1967 - 1975
    George Deukmejian 1983 - 1991
    Pete Wilson 1991 - 1999
    Arnold Schwarzenegger 2003 - 2011

Companies and people leave states all the time and for a wide variety of reasons. California is not much different from any other state in that regard.

20. Xerces Blue

Xerces Blue Evil Overload

I sit corrected. Seems my information was either over simplified or incorrect.