• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Noise

Danny 74

How does everyone deal with noise? I have. To wear earplugs in my own house somedays
Its like the noise of life is peranantly in my ear drum
Its truly awful

Noise can be very annoying, I like to be able to decide what noise I hear, what volume level and when.
Exactly well put. I cant stand motorbikes going past me or bloody sirens etc it truly. Puts me in a rage
I like the summer but its toooo loud.im more of a winter.person nice and quiet

I'm seriously thinking of "going the distance" and purchasing some wireless Bose Quiet Comfort noise-cancelling headphones.

Absurdly expensive, but they actually work as advertised, unlike so many others I've tried. Rechargeable, so I'd just hook them up at night when I got sleep.

Just getting tired of all the outside noises I must deal with that I didn't create and don't want. The usual solution in the past was to simply move. But having done so many times, I know the outcome is always the same. It just takes one new tenant as a neighbor to upset the equation, so while expensive, this may actually be cheaper in the long run.

Best Noise-Canceling Headphones of 2017

Last edited:
I'm seriously thinking of "going the distance" and purchasing some wireless Bose Quiet Comfort noise-cancelling headphones. Absurdly expensive, but they actually work as advertised, unlike so many others I've tried.

Just getting tired of all the outside noises I must deal with that I didn't create and don't want.
Well said. I have ear defenders as my neighbors have been renovating their house for 6 years. The sound of power tools start making me sick or like my eardrum will explode

Have you ever used a really good pair of earbuds underneath a really good pair of ear defenders? Just wondering. I've read about this before. Might be a significantly cheaper way to go.

$400 Noise-Cancelling Headphones vs. $25 Earmuffs | EE Times
I use sponge ear plugs then clay pigeon shooting ear defenders.it takes the sting out of the noise but dont cure it the worlds to.loud in.this day and age . it can be really.distressing. ive had to get drunk to go shopping. People and noise is disorienting

I use earplugs under earmuffs (ear defenders) sometimes. It's fairly effective but not effective enough that I could handle fireworks or NASCAR (car racing for anyone unfamiliar with the odd sport of people driving fast in circles for hours).

White noise helps at night (one of my five fans).

Mostly though things are just too loud. Motorcycles are a particularly terrible problem here. The cops seem to just ignore them. I'm fairly sure there is an ordinance against really loud vehicles, and they almost are always speeding.

Anyhoo, thanks for posting about noise! Earplugs was what I forgot to pick up yesterday and this thread reminded me. What I plan on trying is putting the Mack's silicon earplugs over my pink Mack's Dreamgirl foam earplugs. The Dreamgirls fit in my ear in a way that I think this strategy might work.

And to think most of my life I just surmised I was one intolerant S.O.B.. Fancy that! Glad to know it isn't just me.

Right now, literally my nemesis are pigeons on the roof, constantly groaning. Drives me nuts...having to rap on the window at them every so many minutes.

It's going to be in the high 70s today, so I've got the ceiling fan on at the moment. Helps to have some white noise. Of course I sleep each night to the sound of rainfall thanks to my clock radio with a few ambient sounds.

Unwanted, unexpected sounds really do bother me. I guess I've always been a bit self-conscious about it too. :oops:

The worse recently being my neighbor who has discovered a high-wattage audio system with a subwoofer. :eek:

Last edited:
I use earplugs under earmuffs (ear defenders) sometimes. It's fairly effective but not effective enough that I could handle fireworks or NASCAR (car racing for anyone unfamiliar with the odd sport of people driving fast in circles for hours).

White noise helps at night (one of my five fans).

Mostly though things are just too loud. Motorcycles are a particularly terrible problem here. The cops seem to just ignore them. I'm fairly sure there is an ordinance against really loud vehicles, and they almost are always speeding.

Anyhoo, thanks for posting about noise! Earplugs was what I forgot to pick up yesterday and this thread reminded me. What I plan on trying is putting the Mack's silicon earplugs over my pink Mack's Dreamgirl foam earplugs. The Dreamgirls fit in my ear in a way that I think this strategy might work.
Ive had to get myself a plastic plate as i detest the sound of knife and forks hitting the plate i try to do things as quietly as i can so i dont annoy myself with my own noise

And to think most of my life I just surmised I was one intolerant S.O.B..

Fancy that! Glad to know it isn't just me.

Right now, literally my nemesis are pigeons on the roof, constantly groaning. Drives me nuts...having to rap on the window at them every so many minutes.

It's going to be in the high 70s today, so I've got the ceiling fan on at the moment. Helps to have some white noise. Of course I sleep each night to the sound of rainfall thanks to my clock radio with a few ambient sounds.

Unwanted, unexpected sounds really do bother me. :oops:

The worse recently being my neighbor who has discovered a high-wattage audio system with a subwoofer. :eek:

Macks ear plugs then base quiet comfort. Perfect.

Even better if you put music or something on, which i often dont.

Apps with white noise or rain even betterer!

Ive had to get myself a plastic plate as i detest the sound of knife and forks hitting the plate i try to do things as quietly as i can so i dont annoy myself with my own noise

You can buy silicone plates that should be even quieter than plastic. Looks like they come in some nice colors.

You can buy silicone plates that should be even quieter than plastic. Looks like they come in some nice colors.

Silicone is great for absorbing sound- and vibration. I've used silicone grommets to fit around my computer's power supply and my case fans to make them even quieter apart from the fans themselves.

Last edited:
Thank you its pointless me trying to explain to people around me about noise .they dont get it..its raining here as i write. Wonderfull as its quiet. Im honestly missing the silence of winter. I prefer popping up the shops in the rain. So peacefull

Silicone is great for absorbing sound. I've used silicone grommets to fit around my computer's power supply and my case fans to make them even quieter apart from the fans themselves.
Wow .noise eh? Aint it awfull. Want to look for a cd that just plays the noises i like. Rain. The ocean etc etc.got to be better than dogs barking. Wild children screaming. Music in shops really angers me to when its up loud

I'm seriously thinking of "going the distance" and purchasing some wireless Bose Quiet Comfort noise-cancelling headphones.

Absurdly expensive, but they actually work as advertised, unlike so many others I've tried. Rechargeable, so I'd just hook them up at night when I got sleep.

Just getting tired of all the outside noises I must deal with that I didn't create and don't want. The usual solution in the past was to simply move. But having done so many times, I know the outcome is always the same. It just takes one new tenant as a neighbor to upset the equation, so while expensive, this may actually be cheaper in the long run.

Best Noise-Canceling Headphones of 2017

$350 For noise canceling headphones? I am way to cheap for that, even if I had unlimited funds. I got mine at a gun shop for $60. Turn them way up and I can hear the slightest little sound. Turn them way down and I do not hear anything. I can adjust them so that I can hear a normal conversation and they still block out very loud noise. If it is windy out side, I do not hear all the extra wind noise. I am sure that the expensive headsets have features that mine do not have, but these work well for me.

I can adjust them so that I can hear a normal conversation and they still block out very loud noise.

For $350 I wouldn't be interesting in blocking out loud noise. I'm interested in blocking out sound altogether, other than the source of what the headphones are receiving. (I've tested these headphones before under tough conditions.)

The exorbitant cost makes me feel like I'm being extorted...but when I realize that wherever I move to I inevitably face noisy tenants, this might be worth it.

In this instance, being able to flick a switch without being connected to any source, and simply cancel out virtually all external sound. Both extremely low and extremely high frequencies.

Then again, with tinnitus in my right ear, at times I think, "What's the point?" :(

Last edited:
Chemist warehouse

Competing background noise does my head in, also motorbikes. And leaf- blowers - who invented those things? Use a bloody rake!

There seems to be a lot more people in my neighbourhood riding motorbikes and hotted out cars, and of course they have to rev the guts out of them, because that makes them tough.:rolleyes: I think there are quite a few vehicles using my street as a detour around roadworks and new traffic lights.( The road has ripped out a lot of bushland, which pisses me off too. A while back we found an echidna in our street - probably displaced by roadworks. But by the time we got back with a laundry basket and gloves, it had moved on. An echidna. In suburbia):confused:

Oh boy. Where to start...
Rustling plastic bags. People absent mindedly eating crisps / chips from crinkly packets. Laughter at the wrong pitch and volume. Cars. Motorcycles. Sirens. Popcorn at the cinema. To name but a few at work and out in town...

Headphones ar work are a must for me. I only have earbuds at the moment but will need to get some noise cancelling ones because I get very distracted, distressed, upset, angry. I try to drown the noise out with extreme death metal...

I have to have something on, Star Trek, music, cartoons, Pokemon, certain tv sitcoms, etc to keep the noises in the what would be silence from getting to me. I think if there was ever absolute silence I might freak out, I'd probably be afraid I was going deaf. The birds outside are ultra-annoying, and if I can hear the people next door outside talking, freaks me out I get ultra-anxiety, even though they can't me or know that I am there. Dogs are even more annoying than the birds. People's car stereo's being cranked up but unclear so it's just total noise and some of them even shake the whole street, crazy people, total ugh. The noise from fans and air conditioners annoy me to, I always have to drown them out with music, cartoons or Star Trek. Man I would not be able to live without Star Trek.

New Threads

Top Bottom