• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

No more blinking and flashing adverts

Outdated

I'm from the other end of the spectrum.
V.I.P Member
My internet experience just got a lot more comfortable - I disabled animated GIFs. I knew there used to be a setting there in Firefox somewhere, it took a bit of searching to find where they've hidden it now.

It has made such a difference to me that I thought I should share it with others.

Last edited:
My internet experience just got a lot more comfortable - I disabled animated GIFs. I knew there used to be a setting there in Firefox somewhere, it took a bit of searching to find where they've hidden it now.

It has made such a difference to me that I thought I should share it with others.

I set up a raspberry pi computer to act as a DNS sink hole that pretty much wipes out those annoying GIFs in banner ads etc. I do find GIFs a bit irritating when I'm trying to read something. Particularly on forums where someone uses a GIF for their Avatar and you have like 5 synchronised irritants vying for your attention if they have replied several times in close succession!

I imagine that quite a few people on this forum have some of the same issues I have. I get beyond annoyed with things flickering in the edge of my vision. If I'm deliberately looking at it it's not so bad but when it's on the periphery...

I just thought the link might be helpful to others.

I imagine that quite a few people on this forum have some of the same issues I have. I get beyond annoyed with things flickering in the edge of my vision. If I'm deliberately looking at it it's not so bad but when it's on the periphery...

I just thought the link might be helpful to others.
I think it will! :) I tend to use Firefox so I might have to have a look for a similar browser extension. Hopefully if there is one, that will take care of the none and related GIFs. :)

It's just a setting - no need for any extension/spyware.

You need to type in a web address to get to the settings. The address is:

about:config

the options are listed alphabetically, scroll down til you find image.animation_mode and set it to none.

It's just a setting - no need for any extension/spyware.

You need to type in a web address to get to the settings. The address is:

about:config

the options are listed alphabetically, scroll down til you find image.animation_mode and set it to none.
Yay! That did it! Thanks! No more blimmin' annoying GIFs for me! :)

I have a browser extention for Firefox that freezes GIFs. I need it for the sake of my sanity. I also have one that blocks pop-up cookie notices.

Animated gifs? With the right combination of browser extensions and security settings, I haven't even thought about such visually intrusive things in years.

Though as a former web designer, I have to admit to creating a few from time to time. Part of the job. My bad. :oops:

Animated gifs? With the right combination of browser extensions and security settings, I haven't even thought about such visually intrusive things in years.

Though as a former web designer, I have to admit to creating a few from time to time. Part of the job. My bad. :oops:
Ok we forgive you! Just try not to do it again :smilecat: ;)

I did a fair bit of web design myself, back when it was new and easy and paid well. There was a golden rule:

Never Blink, Never Marquis.

Most designers simply ignored that rule.

I did a fair bit of web design myself, back when it was new and easy and paid well. There was a golden rule:

Never Blink, Never Marquis.

Most designers simply ignored that rule.
I miss good old fashioned plain HTML. Everything these days is whizzy overlapping tiles. I mainly access the internet through my phone and some websites are really irritating.

You will be trying to scroll down to read an article and you end up dragging some previously invisible video or advert in to view. Then the page finally fully loads and helpfully sends you flying back to the top of the page!

You end up thinking, "all I wanted to do was read the thing about the thing and now I'm in some sort of minority report abstract hell-scape!"

Well that's what I end up thinking anyway! :smilecat:

I loved HTML, and I loved Tables. I just had some sort of natural affinity with them so everything was tables nested in tables.

I loved HTML, and I loved Tables. I just had some sort of natural affinity with them so everything was tables nested in tables.
That's essentially how I produced a few websites. It looked less cluttered. Sure it was a lot more simplistic. But there's a lot to be said for simplicity! :)

New Threads

Top Bottom