• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

No interest in anything.

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
I don't really have an interest in anything I could make a career out of.

Like I'll probably just work at McDonald's or something else to pay the bills when I become 16 but I can't do that forever. I'd eventually need to start a real career in something. But I don't know what it should be. Why you may ask? Because I'm totally uninterested in everything.

Everything I thought that could make a good career turned out to be unrealistic for one reason or another or I was deceived by Hollywood into thinking something would be cool when it's actually something I don't like or is lame. I'm not gonna list everything that turned out like that because then this post would be really long so here's a link to a thread where I found out a job wouldn't be good for me: https://www.autismforums.com/threads/how-can-i-practice-the-skills-needed-for-this-career.27856/

What do I do about this problem?

Last edited:
I found I was attracted to a big book on Veterinary Medical Science at age 5 that I found at my grandmother's house.
Medicine, anatomy, how biological systems work, it all appealed to me at an early age and stayed with me
until University. I took courses in psychology, medicine, medical arts and nursing.
Ended up in pharmaceuticals. Quickest subject to get a career in and still be in the medical field.
I still have an interest in these fields and study because I want to even though I'm now retired.
Looking back, I wish I had followed psychology.

Maybe something will draw your attention yet. You're young.
I wouldn't worry at this point. Just notice if anything attracts your attention or curiosity.

When I was 15 I also didn't know and I still don't. I was always employed but never really made a career in anything specific.
Not everybody does.

… Dude, you're 15, relax. Most 15 years olds don't have a clue what they want to do with their lives. Many 20 year olds don't have a clue what to do with their lives. Truth is that many people never find a career they're interested in, instead simply working whatever jobs they can get or following what they are good at. Many people who do find a career they love just fall into it by accident.

What you need to do about this problem is realise that it's not a problem at all.

It'll come to you when it's time. If you thought you knew now what you wanted to be I could almost guarantee it would change.

I’d want to shake your hand to congratulate you if you had it all figured out by now :)

In some cases (not many) a handful of young adults know what they want to do with their working lives.

I know of someone who was joining the Royal Airforce as a pilot just as soon as he was old enough.

All planned out.
(after serving he would fly commercial aircraft as a civilian)

School, college all geared toward having the entry qualifications. He was resolute. Tunnel Vision.

Then 9.11 happened.

He spent the next 8 - 9 yrs qualifying as a registered architect.

My point is, there will be many things in your future that may change your mind about what it is you would like to do.

You may try a number of different jobs before finding one you really enjoy.

In terms of what qualifications you may want to gain, perhaps you still have college and university in front of you to pick the qualifications up ?

Try not to worry,
at 15 it may feel like a confusing problem.
Who knows?
3 weeks or months from today you may stumble across something you hadn’t considered before and are interested in ?

At 15 you can start thinking about your career but don't worry about it to much. Maybe take a career course if your school offers it.

New Threads

Top Bottom