• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

No assessments..

ConfusedKetchup

I just came from my family doctor. She doesn't disagree with my self diagnosis, but she says that my province doesn't cover the cost of assessments for adults, only covers children . She says I can go private, but I'm on disability and can barely afford to live. I have nobody else that can loan or give me what's needed to get it done privately.

I feel so lost and done. This sucks!

That sounds very harsh and restrictive re: no assessments for adults.

Is there a particular reason you want to pursue the assessment? If you get a diagnosis, will it mean you'll receive better financial aid?

The reason I ask is that for some people 'self diagnosis' is enough. Would self diagnosis be enough for you @ConfusedKetchup ?

Self diagnosis is great for my own personal understanding of myself, and to help with communication with my loved ones.
I experience awful executive function problems and could use social worker or someone skilled in working with people with autism to help me. I can't get such services or supports without a formal diagnosis

I experience awful executive function problems and could use social worker or someone skilled in working with people with autism to help me. I can't get such services or supports without a formal diagnosis

That's a very unfair process.

In the UK, there are appeals processes or people can enlist help from their MP in situations such as yours. Is there anything like that where you live? Or, can your doctor refer you to another health authority for the assessment?

Hopefully there are fellow Canadians on the forum who will be able to offer specific advice.

I live in the UK and have no idea how things work over there, I'm sorry.

Self diagnosis is great for my own personal understanding of myself, and to help with communication with my loved ones.
Do you have any kind of help with whatever disability you have that are receiving disability for? If so, can you talk to that person or persons?

Here over in BC, there's a organization who's helping me get a new assessment. Community Living BC, or CLBC for short. Currently on a waiting list. I got a call for an assessment last month, but it was in a city 8 hours away, and I found it a bit pointless to drive a total of ~ 16 hours to and from there for an assessment, so I'm waiting for a opening for where I am.

If you are comfortable saying what province you are in maybe someone else who lives there can help - or we can at least help with searching the internet for leads.

If you are not comfortable sharing your province then I have the following suggestions:

Call an autism clinic for children and ask if they have any ideas for what you could do or where you could go

Call a local autism society and ask them the same thing you would ask the clinic for children

Call private practice autism knowledgeable clinicians and ask if they do sliding scale for people on limited income

Call the nearest university’s psychology department and ask if they have a student training program where you could be assessed for autism at a much lower cost by a psychology student doing supervised practicum work

Last edited:
I just came from my family doctor. She doesn't disagree with my self diagnosis, but she says that my province doesn't cover the cost of assessments for adults, only covers children . She says I can go private, but I'm on disability and can barely afford to live. I have nobody else that can loan or give me what's needed to get it done privately.

I feel so lost and done. This sucks!
I'm so sorry @ConfusedKetchup Please keep looking for other options, other ways through. (I mean - if you still want to go the way of diagnosis. Sorry - I wasn't ordering you).

New Threads

Top Bottom