• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Newly Diagnosed - how did you respond (to yourself and those around)?

Alexej

V.I.P Member
I am recently diagnosed and am coming to an acceptance of this as part of who I am.

How have folks adapted yourself to this news
a) in relation to how you have understood the world and interpreted it. Have you taken more time to consider things. how have you taken the way ASD is for you into account in understanding the world
and
b) how have you sought to help the world understand you - what clues have you given (if any)

For me it's of who I am. I find there are challenges with this and sometimes my Autistic way of thinking is the reason why these challenges happen.

Welcome to the Forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay in the process! :)

Here's a video from one of our esteemed members which may help;

I was not diagnosed until I was 62. I have always known that I was different from everyone else, I just did not know how or why. For me, my diagnosis answered a lot of questions that I had about myself. This was a very positive experience and helped me a lot.

I am the same person that I was before the diagnosis, just a lot more knowledgeable about autism.

I am self diagnosed, I have a good understanding of the area and have worked with people with high autistic traits and Aspergers, and on finding out more about it, realised it applies to me. I took a range of tests too.

I found it liberating to understand the source of my difference, so much seemed explained, and I also understood my parents better in retrospect as my father seems to have had high autistic traits or Aspergers too, and my sibling also. Actually loads of people on both sides seem a bit along the spectrum.

I have gradually realised that I have learnt to mask a lot, so I sometimes feel a bit puzzled as to, what is me, and what is learnt behaviour. This is an ongoing voyage of discovery. It can be strange, and sometimes poignant, but also often good, to work out more fully who I am.

Unfortunately I have not found it easy or wise to share this with many others, there's a huge amount of prejudice and lack of awareness or acceptance of difference out there. That's disappointing, and a repetition of what I experienced when I came out as gay many years ago.

Overall I am very glad to have understood this about myself, and about my family, and I continue the voyage of self discovery with interest. This forum is an invaluable resource to me, thanks everyone.

Here's a video from one of our esteemed members which may help;

Thanks - no need to write more when there is good stuff already out there!

As I come to terms with this I am asking how do I need to adapt to understand what is natural for everybody else - given that the way I am affected by autism is different from anyone else.

The other question is how can I help others make their interaction with me less confusing for me and them.

Hi and welcome to our world. You might find this video useful too, which was made following suggestions by members here. It talks about the emotional processes following diagnosis.

Welcome! I needed a lot of time to process my diagnosis, but I’m at peace with it now.
I have explained to my friends and family how I respond to the world and what they may notice about my behavior in relation to my ASD.
I’ve written a short manual for my boyfriend on how to handle different situations with me, mostly arguments, meltdowns and shutdowns. It helps to prevent escalation in such situations.

I’ve written a short manual for my boyfriend on how to handle different situations with me, mostly arguments, meltdowns and shutdowns.

Thank you for the info that you have have a manual for the boyfriend. This is kind of where I want to take this question, but more specifically
- in which areas to I feel/see my autism affecting me
- how does it affect things - and what can I do to make this easier for me
- how does it affect things - and what can I do to make this easier for those around me?

You mention three areas - arguments, meltdowns and shutdowns which tells me that these are areas where you are aware of autism affecting you.

How have other people responded?

New Threads

Top Bottom