• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New year, new job?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

|Should I carry on with my so far fruitless efforts to get a paying job in the new year? I'm having problems at the moment because of the 15 hour limit enforced on me while on ESA, if I work anything over and above that I get sanctioned, and in the current Political climate the Tories are looking to kill off all the disabled people in the UK by any excuse to stop their benefits.

That interview I had last night said that part time was 27 hours a week, I can't do it and was forced to admit that.

And then the government wonders why there's so much benefit fraud, people on benefits working 40 hours a week and not declaring it.

You might have better luck if you applied only for jobs
that want a person to work a maximum of 15 hours per week.

What about being some sorta extra help at special events, like a concession stand at games (if you can tolerate) or helping set up at a wedding reception venue? I know someone who would sometimes pick up extra money on the weekends helping at big events on weekends occasionally. No way he worked more than a few hours at those gigs. They just needed extra help they didn't usually need. No idea how he got those jobs (though can ask next time I see him) and you are nowhere near where I live (I'm in the middle of the US).

Or possibly try and get accomodation that isn't so expensive ?

And live in some pokey little Council Flat on a dodgy estate? Rent might be cheap but the risk of getting Burgled would put my Home insurance premium right up.

No, I'm not doing it.

Your experience looking for work in retail doesn't surprise me. My brother spent nearly his entire adult life in retail, and he never could control the number of hours he worked, let alone a consistent work schedule on a weekly basis. It's just the curse of retail in general that seems to be getting worse- not better for employees.

It seems apparent that your biggest obstacle is looking in the retail sector itself. Where expecting them to accommodate you with a tight parameter of work hours just isn't going to happen. Especially given the likelihood that you are competing with so many others who probably offer no terms and conditions other than getting the job itself.

Look elsewhere, outside the field of retail. Be willing to push yourself mentally and physically beyond what you think you are capable of in terms of work which might not reflect your past experience. While you are stuck with a legal stipulation of no more than 15 hours a week, I suspect there is still a possibility of finding it, but just not in retail.

Better still, focus on any jobs locally which may solicit specifically for those on the spectrum of autism. Probably very few if any, but it's something to consider. Of course you may have to dig deep in research just to find them.

You may have exhausted the possibilities in retail, but I don't think you've exhausted any and all possibilities of finding work in general. Not yet, anyways.

Last edited:
Your experience looking for work in retail doesn't surprise me. My brother spent nearly his entire adult life in retail, and he never could control the number of hours he worked, let alone a consistent work schedule on a weekly basis. It's just the curse of retail in general that seems to be getting worse- not better for employees.

It seems apparent that your biggest obstacle is looking in the retail sector itself. Where expecting them to accommodate you with a tight parameter of work hours just isn't going to happen. Especially given the likelihood that you are competing with so many others who probably offer no terms and conditions other than getting the job itself.

Look elsewhere, outside the field of retail. Be willing to push yourself mentally and physically beyond what you think you are capable of in terms of work which might not reflect your past experience. While you are stuck with a legal stipulation of no more than 15 hours a week, I suspect there is still a possibility of finding it, but just not in retail.

Better still, focus on any jobs locally which may solicit specifically for those on the spectrum of autism. Probably very few if any, but it's something to consider. Of course you may have to dig deep in research just to find them.

You may have exhausted the possibilities in retail, but I don't think you've exhausted any and all possibilities of finding work in general. Not yet, anyways.

A few points.

1: I haven't spent most of the last 20 odd years working in nearly every Charity shop in Sheffield to not work in retail any more, even though I have admin skills.

2: I applied to a local Agency in 2008 for an Office based position, they said I could not type fast enough.

3: Aspie/Disabled specific positions? How about no? I've tried that, and I refuse on principle to do it again, £2 a day because all the clients are on benefits? No, just, no! I deserve minimum wage at least for a good day's work. Besides which,a few years ago the UK government shut down all the Remploy Factories, and most similar places, so there aren't those jobs even if I wanted to apply to them, which as mentioned, I don't.

A few points.

1: I haven't spent most of the last 20 odd years working in nearly every Charity shop in Sheffield to not work in retail any more, even though I have admin skills.

2: I applied to a local Agency in 2008 for an Office based position, they said I could not type fast enough.

3: Aspie/Disabled specific positions? How about no? I've tried that, and I refuse on principle to do it again, £2 a day because all the clients are on benefits? No, just, no! I deserve minimum wage at least for a good day's work. Besides which,a few years ago the UK government shut down all the Remploy Factories, and most similar places, so there aren't those jobs even if I wanted to apply to them, which as mentioned, I don't.

Then give it up. You won't find part-time work in retail dictating terms to prospective employers. That alone is reason for them to pass on hiring you for the most basic of business reasons. Businesses are not going to accommodate you with a likelihood of other applicants who do not request similar terms and conditions.

You must accommodate them.

Sometimes in life if you want to get ahead you have to take chances. You can't "have your cake and eat it too". If you are unwilling to take risks, by all means stick with what you have and don't complain about it.

Last edited:
Then give it up. You won't find part-time work in retail dictating terms to prospective employers. That alone is reason for them to pass on hiring you for the most basic of business reasons. Businesses are not going to accommodate you. You must accommodate them.

Sometimes in life if you want to get ahead you have to take chances. You can't "have your cake and eat it too". If you are unwilling to take risks, by all means stick with what you have and don't complain about it.

It is not my fault or problem that I can only work limited hours! Blame the UK government.

In theory I could work in another Charity shop, as they're glad of any time a person can give them, but been there done that and literally worn the T shirt in some cases.

It is not my fault or problem that I can only work limited hours! Blame the UK government.

In theory I could work in another Charity shop, as they're glad of any time a person can give them, but been there done that and literally worn the T shirt in some cases.

Rich, it doesn't matter to the private sector whether it's your problem or government's problem.

Short of seeking out employers who are specifically hiring autistic workers, it is YOU who must accommodate THEM. Period. It's not nice, but it's a reality that you are forced to deal with.

Rich, it doesn't matter to the private sector whether it's your problem or government's problem.

Short of seeking out employers who are specifically hiring autistic workers, it is YOU who must accommodate THEM. Period. It's not nice, but it's a reality that you are forced to deal with.

I refuse on principle to be plonked into some Autism specific job for considerably less than minimum wage because all the clients are on benefits and can't earn hardly anything without sanctions, plus, like I said, most of those kind of positions are no longer available in my Country anyway.

I refuse on principle to be plonked into some Autism specific job for considerably less than minimum wage because all the clients are on benefits and can't earn hardly anything without sanctions, plus, like I said, most of those kind of positions are no longer available in my Country anyway.

You have to be willing to adapt to whatever prevailing conditions exist in your labor market. Don't expect them to adapt to you, because they won't.

Opportunity doesn't just fall into one's lap. Sometimes you have to take risks to get ahead. Not to do something illegal, but to try something outside of your comfort zone.

Last edited:
Topic.

|Should I carry on with my so far fruitless efforts to get a paying job in the new year? I'm having problems at the moment because of the 15 hour limit enforced on me while on ESA, if I work anything over and above that I get sanctioned, and in the current Political climate the Tories are looking to kill off all the disabled people in the UK by any excuse to stop their benefits.

That interview I had last night said that part time was 27 hours a week, I can't do it and was forced to admit that.

And then the government wonders why there's so much benefit fraud, people on benefits working 40 hours a week and not declaring it.
Have your authority got the disability confident partners yet. They are suppose to be really great for helping disabled people get appropriate work.

You have to be willing to adapt to whatever prevailing conditions exist in your labor market. Don't expect them to adapt to you, because they won't.

Opportunity doesn't just fall into one's lap. Sometimes you have to take risks to get ahead. Not to do something illegal, but to try something outside of your comfort zone.

Well, I decided work was the better option then to try and make the measily 1350.00 per month of social security disability work. Of course I could earn up to 1170.00 per month and still get the disability but try telling an employer you cannot work more than X number of hours per week - they'll tell you thank you but not thank you.

So, I went to VocRehab and asked about vocational training programs. They had a program to get my armed security license. I went through the training, got the license, and got a great Security Guard job. Yes, I have to work 40 hours (and sometimes more) a week. But, I feel productive. The feeling of gratitude I have for being able to work is really uplifting. If I had sat around and expected the world to bend to my needs, I would never have gotten anywhere.

I totally agree, I know exactly what the UK is like, especially under the Tory government and I'd say a lot more if this was the Politics & Religion forum, but you mustn't give up and I have a lot of respect for you for continuing to try. Eventually you will get a suitable part time job, they do exist, but it's not uncommon for people to be rejected on many occasions before they find the right one.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom