• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New ways on how to test for milder symptoms of ASD

Oz67

Normally parents are the ones who spot symptoms of ASD early on, but when it comes to milder symptoms of ASD, the only person who can determine if you have milder form of ASD is you, because it's impossible to investigate childhood as there will be no reports of you showing symptoms of ASD, and there should be new ways to do tests for ASD in adulthood.

Here is how to test for milder symptoms of ASD that is was not manifested until much later in life or masked:

A teenager or an adult comes to a professional for a test for diagnosis of ASD, the only problem is that it is so mild, that there were no reports of behaviors related to ASD, and asking patent's parents is useless, because parents will say that a teenager or an adult doesn't show symptoms of ASD, but they are wrong.

The only way to test for ASD in those situations, is to ask a patient what is going on their mind, and the patent will say that they meet the diagnostic criteria for A and B for ASD, but those symptoms are in their mind, and they expressed that social rules became too complicated as they got older, and can't adapt to those social demands.

It's is logical to assume that they had symptoms of ASD from the beginning, but just have much better social skills, so that patent neets the diagnostic criteria for B more than A.

That is where late age onset for ASD confusion comes from, but ASD is a neurodevelopental disorder.

Last edited:
and asking patent's parents is useless, because parents will say that a teenager or an adult doesn't show symptoms of ASD, but they are wrong.

It happens more often that parents ended up misinterpreting symptoms or are ignorant to their meaning. They might also feel like it is "impossible" since the image they have with ASD is not realistic and derived from media.

The bigger issue is the reliability of memory at that stage.

I'm trying to find some sources on this but all I have right now are what I've learned from therapy on the situation.

It was my husband who helped me, as he described what it is like to live with me and for the most part, he just stated facts, rather than being cruel, as it were the expert in autism wrote down what both of us were saying and said at the end of the session, he has no doubt in his mind that I am on the spectrum, but not sure why I had to return. Anyway, was diagnosed with grade 2 leaning towards grade 3.

What I find extremely bizzare is that I received no official confirmation; just a piece of paper that had graded me and I can tell you, it goes every where with me.

In my opinion, if someone intended to go for an assessment to see if they potentially have ASD, they need to educate themselves about it first, take notes and record yourself objectively. If you then feel there is some correlation between what you've used to educate yourself regarding ASD, and your notes upon reflecting; then this makes it so much easier to articulate yourself at the assessment. Also, people may find it even easier to articulate your thoughts through writing rather than speech, bulletpoint them give them to your doctor. These were the routes I took personally.

I hope that what I said is correct. I was just worried that it is impossible to investigate your childhood for symptoms of ASD, but that doesn't mean you don't have milder form of ASD that only you can know you have unless you tell others.

Normally parents are the ones who spot symptoms of ASD early on, but when it comes to milder symptoms of ASD, the only person who can determine if you have milder form of ASD is you, because it's impossible to investigate childhood as there will be no reports of you showing symptoms of ASD, and there should be new ways to do tests for ASD in adulthood.

Here is how to test for milder symptoms of ASD that is was not manifested until much later in life or masked:

A teenager or an adult comes to a professional for a test for diagnosis of ASD, the only problem is that it is so mild, that there were no reports of behaviors related to ASD, and asking patent's parents is useless, because parents will say that a teenager or an adult doesn't show symptoms of ASD, but they are wrong.

The only way to test for ASD in those situations, is to ask a patient what is going on their mind, and the patent will say that they meet the diagnostic criteria for A and B for ASD, but those symptoms are in their mind, and they expressed that social rules became too complicated as they got older, and can't adapt to those social demands.

It's is logical to assume that they had symptoms of ASD from the beginning, but just have much better social skills, so that patent neets the diagnostic criteria for B more than A.

That is where late age onset for ASD confusion comes from, but ASD is a neurodevelopental disorder.

Agree. The advice that I would share with regards to this is: If anyone, especially an adult, who is not completely sure of their own "self diagnosis" or perhaps are considering a professional diagnosis,...it is common to not have one's parents as a point of perspective,...and not likely to show up at a psychologists office for an interview. My recommendation,...take a few weeks,...make up a written list of all the things you experience,...relevant childhood memories, pervasive sensory issues, communication difficulties, etc. Create this picture of a who you are. I did this,...172 bullet-pointed things,...my "You might be an autistic if,..." list. I printed it out and handed it to my psychologist prior to my first testing and interview session.

I am still adding to it from time to time,...keep the file on my desktop. If I get hit by a bus or a meteor tomorrow, someone else can look at it and have some perspective of what it was like to be me.:D

I hope that what I said is correct. I was just worried that it is impossible to investigate your childhood for symptoms of ASD, but that doesn't mean you don't have milder form of ASD that only you can know you have unless you tell others.

You said at an early age parents are the ones who spot the symptoms of ASD early on, but then said if the symptoms are mild the only person who knows is you.

I don't believe that is true, not entirely anyway. It all comes down to ones own understanding of what 'Autism' actually is, and the general public generally have a different perspective on that, and alot of people just instantly assume the severe side of autism. Now if they don't understand it like we do, they're simply not able to perceive what we do, as they lack understanding.

If Autism wasn't often described as a disability, people would be more open to what it is, in my opinion.

Agree. The advice that I would share with regards to this is: If anyone, especially an adult, who is not completely sure of their own "self diagnosis" or perhaps are considering a professional diagnosis,...it is common to not have one's parents as a point of perspective,...and not likely to show up at a psychologists office for an interview. My recommendation,...take a few weeks,...make up a written list of all the things you experience,...relevant childhood memories, pervasive sensory issues, communication difficulties, etc. Create this picture of a who you are. I did this,...172 bullet-pointed things,...my "You might be an autistic if,..." list. I printed it out and handed it to my psychologist prior to my first testing and interview session.

I am still adding to it from time to time,...keep the file on my desktop. If I get hit by a bus or a meteor tomorrow, someone else can look at it and have some perspective of what it was like to be me.:D

I agree, but you may not know that you have those difficulties until you get much older, and it is hard to investigate your own childhood, and until following social norms gets too complicated for you follow in your age range in adulthood, and you are having distress by complex social demands from you.

You said at an early age parents are the ones who spot the symptoms of ASD early on, but then said if the symptoms are mild the only person who knows is you.

I don't believe that is true, not entirely anyway. It all comes down to ones own understanding of what 'Autism' actually is, and the general public generally have a different perspective on that, and alot of people just instantly assume the severe side of autism. Now if they don't understand it like we do, they're simply not able to perceive what we do, as they lack understanding.

If Autism wasn't often described as a disability, people would be more open to what it is, in my opinion.

I meant that in rare situations, it can happen where you only know that you might have ASD.

Autism Spectrum Disorder is a neurodevelopental disorder, but when it comes to milder cases of ASD it can feel like a difference instead, and that makes sense.

Last edited:
I agree, but you may not know that you have those difficulties until you get much older, and it is hard to investigate your own childhood, and until following social norms gets too complicated for you follow in your age range in adulthood, and you are having distress by complex social demands from you.

My situation is similar. However, it wasn't necessarily social demands, but more a significant increase in professional demands that finally was the "straw that broke the camels back" and I sought out help.

My situation is similar. However, it wasn't necessarily social demands, but more a significant increase in professional demands that finally was the "straw that broke the camels back" and I sought out help.

I am sorry that I sound little bit narrow, but I also meant that as well, I just don't want to put too many lists, I just use couple examples.

I meant that in rare situations, it can happen where you only know that you might have ASD.

Autism Spectrum Disorder is a neurodevelopental disorder, but when it comes to milder cases of ASD it can feel like a difference instead, and that makes sense.

Yes and I totally understand that, those were similar to my own circumstances. when you feel that ASD is present when you're older in life, you don't want to just say it to people cause you're unsure how they'd react, and as I said I feel peoples opinion of Autism are likely different. That's why as I stated I took the time to research it in depth, and write notes ect. To make it easier to articulate to a professional.

To easier spot when people are young, I don't think a type of test will benefit that, but to further the whole species understanding on it will.

It may be classed a neurodevelopmental disorder, but in my opinion Autism is no disorder, it's quite the opposite. Again I realise there are severe cases, but that's what neurotypical people tend to focus on and why it's classed as a disorder/disability.

Yes and I totally understand that, those were similar to my own circumstances. when you feel that ASD is present when you're older in life, you don't want to just say it to people cause you're unsure how they'd react, and as I said I feel peoples opinion of Autism are likely different. That's why as I stated I took the time to research it in depth, and write notes ect. To make it easier to articulate to a professional.

To easier spot when people are young, I don't think a type of test will benefit that, but to further the whole species understanding on it will.

It may be classed a neurodevelopmental disorder, but in my opinion Autism is no disorder, it's quite the opposite. Again I realise there are severe cases, but that's what neurotypical people tend to focus on and why it's classed as a disorder/disability.

It makes sense. That means mild cases of ASD is just a developmental difference than more severe symptoms of ASD.

New Threads

Top Bottom