• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to the idea I have ASD

mikeanthony

I never knew what autism was. I just heard the word. Working as a firefighter I still never came across it. After dealing with some psychiatric issues for the first time in my life I finally found my answer. Since I was a kid I had difficulty seeing numbers anywhere. Also letters on license plates. These letters and numbers would create math problems in my head and my mind would work to solve them constantly. Rearranging the numbers and letters in a way to make sense. To decode them.

Im here because Im trying to understand myself.

welcome to af.png

Welcome. When I was first diagnosed 10 years ago my Psych got me to create a diary of the weird things in my life since I could remember, back to 4 years old. It sure helped to explain why I was so different, and I felt less guilt about it.

I never knew what autism was. I just heard the word. Working as a firefighter I still never came across it. After dealing with some psychiatric issues for the first time in my life I finally found my answer. Since I was a kid I had difficulty seeing numbers anywhere. Also letters on license plates. These letters and numbers would create math problems in my head and my mind would work to solve them constantly. Rearranging the numbers and letters in a way to make sense. To decode them.

Welcome! Had it not been for hypersensitivity issues and insomnia I would have never been diagnosed. I am 63, and was diagnosed two years ago.

Thanks for the welcomes... One problem I often have is revealing too much about myself at once and hopping around in confusing patterns and deleting a lot of what I write (like I have already while writing this), so I'll go slow and try to post in correct areas..

Thanks for the welcomes... One problem I often have is revealing too much about myself at once and hopping around in confusing patterns and deleting a lot of what I write (like I have already while writing this), so I'll go slow and try to post in correct areas..
Welcome!

Don't worry about being yourself here. We are a friendly bunch from all walks of life and abilities.

I am 54 and stumbled on information about autisim by accident. Once I started reading about it though, I knew a.s.d. fits me very well. I don't have an official diagnosis but I self identify as autistic.

Welcome @mikeanthony . You are in good company. Some people here have helped me think through issues. Plus, I found that I am not alone having had social maturity issues due to ASD growing up, and at a time when autism was rarely diagnosed.

Hi and welcome to the forums. The numbers/license plate thing is one of the questions on the AQ quiz. You should take it and see how many other boxes you tick.

Hello and welcome, i can relate to noticing license plates too, i often count the numbers automatically in my head.

I have a compulsion to read licence plates, company logos, on vehicles every thing.
when I had my stroke, lack of eye contact, reading posters on wall drove my therapist nuts, had to re-seat me facing the door so I would not distract her too much.

I'm asking because it could possibly get you there faster could you possibly be dyslexic and have dysgraphia(problems with spelling,put thoughts in writing)its very common in the UK where iam, to not be diagnosed until later in life, I'm not saying your self diagnosis is incorrect but finding a therapist is much faster if you know its definitely this and not another ,hope this,helps

Hello:

When was little i played with my twin brother to just when watched at a car plate just did a thing of ennumerate the numbers, also before of wondering certain things when had 16 years old at 2004 met online a friend who made me aware of autism spectrum disorder after that never before i heard or was aware of it in fact till 2004 was a complete ignorant about it and when researched i got the full image that i complied with the list of symptoms and the things i did in the past and i never found an answer it had an perfect match of what was going on with me now that am becoming older am realizing there are more things that the ASD affects or has effects over me than only the first things.

I have a compulsion to read licence plates, company logos, on vehicles every thing.
when I had my stroke, lack of eye contact, reading posters on wall drove my therapist nuts, had to re-seat me facing the door so I would not distract her too much.

Your therapist should have brought in an easle with new reading material. :)

She just faced me toward the door until the session was over, made sure my wife sat in with me I was a bit of an enigma to her. Could not believe how fast I Read. no Surprise my brother took a fast reading class in college as an elective Maxed out on the first day, runs in the family. Another brother read a Hardy boys book in 20 Minutes, we timed him as kids.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom