• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to the Forum

Catherine Read

Hi, I’m Catherine, I’m recently coming to terms with having Asperger’s, (not officially diagnosed but pretty sure I’ve got it), so thought I’d sign up with the forum. My younger brother was diagnosed many moons ago but I was only put forward for dyslexia diagnosis when I was 16. I’m 33 now and have gone to the Doctors over the years for depression and anxiety, had CBT for social anxiety and always thought I just needed to behave like a normal grown-up, try harder, everyone else can function fine, I should too. I’ve always failed at job interviews and could never understand why I was so inept at communicating, but not being neurotypical would explain it.

I’m hoping to learn more about the condition so I can understand myself better and where I best fit in with the world.

e50e0f36e8910f811b6726e04713853d.png

Whoa. That sounds like me. l am a productive honest worker, but l can screw up interviews if nervous. Hey, welcome. We look forward to your insight here. l can say stupid things around my mom who triggers me.

Hi and welcome!

Whoa. That sounds like me. l am a productive honest worker, but l can screw up interviews if nervous. Hey, welcome. We look forward to your insight here. l can say stupid things around my mom who triggers me.

I think that's the most frustrating thing about it lol, I'm really hard working and efficient, was really well liked and relied on at my old work place but got in on recommendation, not so much interview. Now I'm just dismissed because I can't play the interview game correctly lol.

Hi and welcome, you probably know that it is not unusual for girls and women to be overlooked for diagnosis, I recommend Jessica Kingsley publishers for books by people with autism and clinicians about this and other topics.

I don't shine at interview but I found ways to improve somewhat, enough to let my talents come through. Even wearing the right stuff is important, try to wear what they wear, something the typical person who does the job wears.

I also do a very strong written application, then they already have a lot of evidence of what I can do, which I can enlarge on. You do tend to get better at this kind of stuff, if you focus on changes that are manageable for you. Use your examples from your work to evidence how competent you are.

I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

:rocket::rowboat::runner::snowboarder::surfer::swimmer::bicyclist::rocket:

Hi and welcome, you probably know that it is not unusual for girls and women to be overlooked for diagnosis, I recommend Jessica Kingsley publishers for books by people with autism and clinicians about this and other topics.

I don't shine at interview but I found ways to improve somewhat, enough to let my talents come through. Even wearing the right stuff is important, try to wear what they wear, something the typical person who does the job wears.

I also do a very strong written application, then they already have a lot of evidence of what I can do, which I can enlarge on. You do tend to get better at this kind of stuff, if you focus on changes that are manageable for you. Use your examples from your work to evidence how competent you are.

I hope you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

:rocket::rowboat::runner::snowboarder::surfer::swimmer::bicyclist::rocket:

Thank you for the advice and support :)

I can relate. Job interviews...the bane of my existence as well. Luckily I'm retired...leaving it behind me.

Welcome to Autism Forums.

"always thought I just needed to behave like a normal grown-up, try harder, everyone else can function fine... failed at job interviews and could never understand why I was so inept at communicating"

You sound like the story of my life.

HI and Welcome to the Forums,

This is a very good place to learn more about autism/Asperger's/life and many things inbetween. Do pull up a chair and join in the conversation.

New Threads

Top Bottom