• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to the Forum and looking for advice on transferring from WI to OH

Marine1985

My son was born in Indiana and when he was almost 1 and I took a promotion with my job to WI. I didn't know it at the time, but he was eventually diagnosed around 26 months with severe autism. I have lived in WI for the past 2 years and my son just finished his "birth to 3" program which consisted of 2 hours per week of speech and occupational therapy. He just started school in WI for special ed last week at the age of 3. I was recently promoted again and am being moved to OH and was excited because it's much closer to family and friends than WI. I'm in the process of relocating and start my new job in mid February and I'm wondering what all will need to be redone or if anyone has advice and has been in a similar situation.

• Will my son need to be diagnosed by a psychiatrist again or will the diagnosis xfer from WI to OH?
  • Will my son's IEP for special education roll over from one school district to another if it's not in the same state?
  • Will I need to enroll my son in Medicaid once again in the state of OH or will this xfer from state to state?
  • Will medicaid cover ABA in OH as my insurance will not?
There's a number of questions that I've realized have popped up as I make this move that I never thought of. If there's anyone on the forum from OH I'd love to chat with you and understand some of the differences involved.

Hi Marine1985

welcome to af.png

I'm sure there will be many here willing to help you.

Welcome aboard!

@Marine1985

"While Medicaid is often thought of as a federal program, each state is given the flexibility to set their own eligibility requirements. Therefore, each state evaluates its applicants independently from each other state. Those wishing to transfer their coverage must re-apply for Medicaid in the new state."

"Even though each state has different eligibility requirements for Medicaid, usually their income and assets limits are very similar. Most people who are financially eligible in one state can qualify in their new state with little or no re-structuring of their finances. More good news is the Medicaid application review and approval process is fairly quick. Depending on the state, it will usually take between 15 - 90 days to receive a letter of approval. Also, states are prohibited by federal law from having a length of residency requirement; this means one can be eligible immediately upon moving to their new state (or becoming a resident of the new state). Finally, Medicaid coverage can be made retroactive to the date of application."

Medicaid State-to-State Transfer Rules

See also:
How to Transfer Medicaid Between States

@Marine1985

• If you transfer to a new school within your school district, your child’s IEP doesn’t change.
  • If you transfer to another school district in or out of state, your child may need a new IEP.
  • The term IEP is used nationwide, but different states may have special rules.
"When you move to another state, your child may face different criteria around eligibility for special education services. Your child’s new school must decide if your child qualifies under the state’s rules. That may require a new evaluation. If your child is found eligible, the school will develop a new IEP. As always, you’ll have a chance to give input.

While the new school is evaluating your child, it must continue to provide comparable services. You can find out more specifics from the department of education or from the Parent Training and Information Center in the state you’re moving to. It’s a good idea to request your child’s school records as early as possible if you know you’ll be moving out of state."

https://www.understood.org/en/schoo...pens-to-your-childs-iep-if-you-switch-schools

See also:
What Happens to My Child’s IEP if I Move? | Center for Autism Research

• Will my son need to be diagnosed by a psychiatrist again or will the diagnosis xfer from WI to OH?
  • Will my son's IEP for special education roll over from one school district to another if it's not in the same state?
  • Will I need to enroll my son in Medicaid once again in the state of OH or will this xfer from state to state?
  • Will medicaid cover ABA in OH as my insurance will not?
  • Your son will not need to be re-diagnosed by a psychiatrist. It is part of a legal document that is on your child's medical history permanently no matter what state he is in.
  • When I graduated from a public, district-regulated, brick-and-mortar middle school, I started being home-schooled with South Carolina Connections Academy (basically just a part of International Connections Academy), and my IEP did roll over.
  • I am unable to comment on the insurance stuff, since I am only 15, turning 16 in less than one and a half months and in the 10th grade. Thinking about insurance isn't exactly the highest thing on a teenager's list of priorities.

Hi and welcome to the site. I also have a severely autistic son, but I don't live in the states. I do know however that ABA is almost NEVER covered by insurances and usually has to be paid for out of pocket. Good luck!

I do know however that ABA is almost NEVER covered by insurances and usually has to be paid for out of pocket. Good luck!

"As of January 1, 2014 Ohio insurance plans must cover Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) for children with autism due to new legislation established by Ohio Governor John Kasich. ABA Services for children with autism will be available through state employee health insurance, health insurance plans sold on the private market and the forthcoming federally mandated health insurance exchange."

"Autism treatment services already are available to about 40 percent of Ohio children through the state’s Medicaid program. The new legislation opens the door for thousands of children with autism who have been unable to receive treatment simply due to financial restraints."

New Law Provides Insurance Money for ABA Therapy

New Threads

Top Bottom