• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New to my diagnosis

HenleyMae

Hello, I'm Henley.
I was diagnosed with autism around a year and a half ago, and spent most of the time since thinking it was absurd, since I didn't tick most the boxes that I thought were the standard idea of autism was. I've obviously learned a great deal since then am trying to figure out how this part of me figures into my life.

Living in a new town and having trouble finding connections, so I figured I would explore a bit online. I have a deep love for vintage clothes, science fiction and fantasy, cats, crafts in general, and theater.

welcome to af.png

Hi Henley, welcome! :)

I don't tick most of the boxes for "standard" autism either. Autistic traits vary a lot from person to person, and there are different "types" of autism; it also presents very differently in males and females most of the time.

I really like your name btw!

There are a lot of threads where you can share and discuss your interests, since you have common interests with a lot of people here :)

Greetings @HenleyMae! Though I haven't been officially diagnosed, I was also quite resistant to the idea that I could be autistic till I started researching how it can manifest more and got to know this community. Now I feel much more accepting of it, and myself by proxy. I hope the move went well. As someone who has moved a lot, I know they can be oretty stressful.

Greetings @HenleyMae! Though I haven't been officially diagnosed, I was also quite resistant to the idea that I could be autistic till I started researching how it can manifest more and got to know this community. Now I feel much more accepting of it, and myself by proxy. I hope the move went well. As someone who has moved a lot, I know they can be oretty stressful.
Job-wise, I think everything is going pretty well. I really like my job, though it definitely gets very stressful. I'm having more difficulty adapting to having to socialize... at college, it was really easy because my two roommates were my best friends, so just build in "found family." Little different being out in the boonies on my own.

Hi Henley, welcome! :)

I don't tick most of the boxes for "standard" autism either. Autistic traits vary a lot from person to person, and there are different "types" of autism; it also presents very differently in males and females most of the time.

I really like your name btw!

There are a lot of threads where you can share and discuss your interests, since you have common interests with a lot of people here :)
Thanks for the welcome. I'm trying to do some research to understand the way it presents in girls.
Dog person, I take it? :) I currently have an annoyed kitten perched on me; she believes that I should be massaging her, not typing.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm trying to do some research to understand the way it presents in girls.
Dog person, I take it? :) I currently have an annoyed kitten perched on me; she believes that I should be massaging her, not typing.

Yes, I'm a professional dog trainer, the dogs in the signature all belong to me :)

I love cats too though. I hope I can get a kitten someday.
I see you've discovered the pet thread, feel free to post pictures of your cats if you ever feel comfortable! Lots of cat lovers here as well :)

One of my dogs is currently under my desk chair lol

Hi and welcome. Check out Jessica Kingsley publishers catalogue for texts by women with Autism and clinicians.

Yes, I'm a professional dog trainer, the dogs in the signature all belong to me :)

I love cats too though. I hope I can get a kitten someday.
I see you've discovered the pet thread, feel free to post pictures of your cats if you ever feel comfortable! Lots of cat lovers here as well :)

One of my dogs is currently under my desk chair lol
That's a lot of dogs! I like the black fluffy looking one. What's the best part about training dogs?

Hi, and Welcome to the forums! I hope you make new friends and enjoy your stay here in the process!

That's a lot of dogs! I like the black fluffy looking one. What's the best part about training dogs?
Thanks! The black fluffy one is a Newfoundland dog :)

The best part about training dogs for me is just spending time with them. And watching them learn and improve skills and get more confident in themselves.

Hello, I'm Henley.
I was diagnosed with autism around a year and a half ago, and spent most of the time since thinking it was absurd, since I didn't tick most the boxes that I thought were the standard idea of autism was. I've obviously learned a great deal since then am trying to figure out how this part of me figures into my life.

Living in a new town and having trouble finding connections, so I figured I would explore a bit online. I have a deep love for vintage clothes, science fiction and fantasy, cats, crafts in general, and theater.
Welcome.=D

New Threads

Top Bottom