• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Spectrum opinion piece indicates that motor issues have been overlooked in autistic people

For years, autistic people have been assumed to be intellectually impaired even though they actually have motor issues that make it seem like they're intellectually impaired. But this new Spectrum opinion piece wants to change all that.

Motor skills in autism: A missed opportunity...
"For example, which motor differences in infancy are specific markers of autism, and which reflect more general developmental delays? Our research team is particularly interested in whether there are distinct motor profiles unique to autism that can be parsed using computational approaches.

We also support continued, larger-scale research on motor skill interventions that may have a meaningful influence on functioning. Although we speculate that this could be a beneficial form of intervention for some autistic people, we are not yet aware of any research specifically asking autistic people about how motor skill differences affect their lives and what, if any, supports would appeal to them — work that needs to be done."

Personal thoughts,...I find it interesting given that motor issues within the autistic population have been well-described within the literature for decades,...the author is just now asking these questions. Part of my testing and diagnosis was assessing my visual-motor responses,...clearly, there is enough statistical data to establish that I FAILED miserably,...literally couldn't do the testing,...had to quit. But, as the author suggested, there apparently hasn't been any formal research from the perspective of how it affects our daily lives.

For years, autistic people have been assumed to be intellectually impaired even though they actually have motor issues that make it seem like they're intellectually impaired. But this new Spectrum opinion piece wants to change all that.

I always used to say that my brain and body are disconnected, even before knowing about autism.

I was following another thread about the topic of masking. Specifically, it was pointed out that masking is particularly difficult for the autistic, as compared to neurotypicals. It has been my experience that facial micro-expressions and body language is an integral part of human communication, and if either or both are somehow "off" from the verbal communication, the intuitive neurotypical is going to subconsciously pick up on this.

When you work with autistic children,...ASD-2, ASD-3,...you really pick up on this,...it's far more obvious in some children. ASD-1/Asperger's,...it appears more subtle,...in fact, WE might notice it within ourselves much more than others, but needless to say, others DO notice it subconsciously. I notice all the hand-eye coordination and timing issues I have,...and as mentioned in my previous post,...my delays were measurable during testing.

Motor skills in autism: A missed opportunity...
"For example, which motor differences in infancy are specific markers of autism, and which reflect more general developmental delays? Our research team is particularly interested in whether there are distinct motor profiles unique to autism that can be parsed using computational approaches.

We also support continued, larger-scale research on motor skill interventions that may have a meaningful influence on functioning. Although we speculate that this could be a beneficial form of intervention for some autistic people, we are not yet aware of any research specifically asking autistic people about how motor skill differences affect their lives and what, if any, supports would appeal to them — work that needs to be done."

Personal thoughts,...I find it interesting given that motor issues within the autistic population have been well-described within the literature for decades,...the author is just now asking these questions. Part of my testing and diagnosis was assessing my visual-motor responses,...clearly, there is enough statistical data to establish that I FAILED miserably,...literally couldn't do the testing,...had to quit. But, as the author suggested, there apparently hasn't been any formal research from the perspective of how it affects our daily lives.
Will read this tomorrow if I have time.

I think the title/OP is a little misleading.

Motor issues have hardly been overlooked, since apraxia is a very well, very often described symptom of ASD, and there are specific motor issues that are addressed in ASD assessment.

If I read the article correctly it's more about targeting therapy towards these motor issues, rather than just accepting them as a side effect of ASD and leaving it at that.

Not having known about my a.s.d. here is so much in my life I did not realize was attributable to a.s.d. Motor issues is a very good example.

I have excellent fine motor skills but my gross motor skills are lacking.

I have no trouble with balance and can ride a bike, run and roller skate just fine. Heck, I was even a gymnast and took ballet into my teens.

But I can't catch a ball, often trip over my own feet while walking, stub my toes, bump into objects with my hips, knees and elbows. I have even been known to give to self a bruise by cutting a corner too close and thunking my head. I personally refer to my elbows as "The Counter Sweepers". If you value something don't leave it where I can knock into it with my elbows! Haha!

@Neonatal RRT , when I was younger my family would make such a big deal about the way I talked with my hands that I just stopped doing it for casual conversation. (ultimate masking?) They claimed my gestures didn't match my words. Of course I disagreed!

While not a "micro expression" it is, of course, non-verbal communication. It makes me wonder if there isn't a sort of micro-expression in hand gestures that neurotypicals pick up on but are inobvious to me.

I always had bad handwriting. I don't have dyspraxia, but have no talent in sports, don't have great coordination. I was late to learn to ride a bike. I could never do breaststroke in swimming, because I lacked to coordination, also no good at dancing. My hand to eye coordination is ok, I can play tennis (though not well), catch a ball, etc.
I agree that it's often overlooked. Though the doctor assessing me did ask about my handwriting at least.

I've always wondered why when I was trying to dance when I was a pre-teen, and teen (school dances), that I could either dance with my hands OR my feet, but not both at the same time. I found the same thing when I tried group aerobics at the gym. No way. It was here that I first noticed significant delays in what my eyes were seeing and my body's responses,...I was always way behind the group. It was very confusing and frustrating for me at the time, as I didn't know I was autistic. So, I naturally stuck with weight lifting.

With regards to the original post,...how to screen for adult autism by assessing motor skills,...throw a random bunch of adults into an aerobics class!:D Pull aside the frustrated and confused.:D

Last edited:
Have they forgotten about the work of Hans Asperger? One of the diagnostic features of Asperger syndrome is clumsiness. Certainly true in my case. Maladroit, athletically inept, and things have a tendency to leap out of my hands and throw themselves against the floor.

New Threads

Top Bottom