• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New: late diagnosis at 62.

Terencby

Hi all. Just joined, after recently being diagnosed with Asperger's. I just had one of those light bulb moments, triggered by an off-hand remark on a radio program, combined with further off-hand remarks from a couple of friends, and I suddenly understood. I managed to get a fairly quick diagnosis, though it was obvious to both of us (psychologist and me) from as soon as we started talking/testing.

So, after 60+ years, my little boat finally reaches terra firma. It's a huge relief, and I feel that i can now stop fighting. Or, I guess more to the point, I can start fighting what i need to fight, instead of fighting struggles I can never win.

I'm married, with two almost-grown-up kids, and have succeeded in my career because of the Asperger Advantage. Not that it's been a bed of roses, far from it.

Anyway, looking forward to participating in the forum, and would be particularly interested to hear from any older Aspies. (not that I feel old ...)

Welcome aboard! This is a great and helpful site. I also received a late diagnosis (age 33)
image.jpg

Greetings and welcome to the board. I'm 61 and just joined and introduced myself yesterday. Sounds like we've walked very similar paths regarding late diagnosis and career success. I haven't been formally diagnosed but my RAADS-R score and my life's experiences strongly suggest a perfect fit.

Nice to cross paths with you!

I haven't been formally diagnosed ...

Choice or chance? I wanted/needed the confirmation of a second opinion as it were. Still getting my head around it all, which is in itself a bit up and down. I'm starting to see a psychologist next week, mainly to explore techniques for coping with the stress and anxiety - though just realising that there is stress and anxiety is a step in the right direction.

Anyway, thanks for getting back to me, and good luck with your own journey.

Choice or chance? I wanted/needed the confirmation of a second opinion as it were. Still getting my head around it all, which is in itself a bit up and down. I'm starting to see a psychologist next week, mainly to explore techniques for coping with the stress and anxiety - though just realising that there is stress and anxiety is a step in the right direction.

Anyway, thanks for getting back to me, and good luck with your own journey.

Definitely by choice. If I were borderline I might seek confirmation, but the evidence and self-test results were so strong that it seemed very obvious to me (and to my wife's observations of me over 40+ years.) And, if there's any chance that I'm not Aspie, I figure there are still some helpful things to be learned here if I share some of the same struggles.

Here's to greater success in 2016! :)

Hi all. Just joined, after recently being diagnosed with Asperger's. I just had one of those light bulb moments, triggered by an off-hand remark on a radio program, combined with further off-hand remarks from a couple of friends, and I suddenly understood. I managed to get a fairly quick diagnosis, though it was obvious to both of us (psychologist and me) from as soon as we started talking/testing.

So, after 60+ years, my little boat finally reaches terra firma. It's a huge relief, and I feel that i can now stop fighting. Or, I guess more to the point, I can start fighting what i need to fight, instead of fighting struggles I can never win.

I'm married, with two almost-grown-up kids, and have succeeded in my career because of the Asperger Advantage. Not that it's been a bed of roses, far from it.

Anyway, looking forward to participating in the forum, and would be particularly interested to hear from any older Aspies. (not that I feel old ...)
57 here, aware since my 13 year old son was diagnosed, however no formal diagnosis due to the fact that everyone on my insurance list is only concerned with dispensing drugs. The meds help with coping, but it would be nice if one of the physicians or therapists were interested in helping me with sorting out a diagnosis.

Welcome to Aspies Central. I think that you will like it here, I sure do! Your story and mine are pretty much the same, I was also diagnosed at 62. I also felt a lot of relief with the diagnosis. It was good to know that there was a name for people like me and other people like me. I am also married, but we have 5 kids, 11 grandkids and 2 great-grand kids. I too have had a successful working career because of working with my special interest and working alone. I was diagnosed 8 years ago. I look forward to reading your posts.

Hi, welcome.
Mid 50's and only within the last year I have discovered autism thru a radio show, and then found out about Asperger's when I was discussing the radio show with a friend and accidentally found out her daughter is on the spectrum. Much studying later, and I consider myself a self diagnosed Aspie, and I'm happy with that. I don't see that an official diagnosis would change my situation.

Diagnosis at 62 seems unusually late.

In what way? You seek a diagnosis when a) a diagnosis is available, which wasn't the case till I was probably 40+, and b) something triggers you to seek a diagnosis. The latter happened to me at 62.

Just to state the obvious, most 60+ Aspies are simply never diagnosed and probably never will be. If you've flown under the radar this long, you'll probably keep flying under it.

Also just to say, since receiving my diagnosis, it's fairly obvious to me that 3 living members of my immediate family in the same age group or older are also have Asperger's. I've discussed this with one of them, who has subsequently auto-diagnosed, and is in the process of getting an official diagnosis to confirm.

Finally, FWIW, I think it's a real issue in society. Leicester University estimated that there could be up to 600K people in the UK who are on the spectrum or undiagnosed, many of them adult/older/elderly.

Last edited:
For all I know I might have gone to the end of my life without knowing or contemplating that I was on the spectrum of autism. It was only watching a television program that first piqued my interest that led me to a conclusion that I likely went most of my life not knowing that I was autistic.

Without a deep sense of curiosity and "connecting the dots" I can see how so many higher-functioning people might go on with their lives never really knowing.

The professional medical establishment basically overlooked me with critical examinations in both 1961 and 1982 with them having never even considered autism. Basically a case of "too little, too early".

Last edited:
For all I know I might have gone to the end of my life without knowing or contemplating that I was on the spectrum of autism. It was only watching a television program that first piqued my interest that led me to a conclusion that I likely went most of my life not knowing that I was autistic.

Without a deep sense of curiosity and "connecting the dots" I can see how so many higher-functioning people might go on with their lives never really knowing.

The professional medical establishment basically overlooked me with critical examinations in both 1961 and 1982 with them having never even considered autism. Basically a case of "too little, too early".
Same here, I had 2 brothers who were enough for my parents to handle and I was happily off on my own and a fairly quiet kid who never demanded much attention. I pretty much have stayed under the radar in more ways than one my whole life. When my son was diagnosed I was told by his therapist that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree and have self diagnosed myself. I would like to receive a diagnosis, but can't get anyone interested in helping me pursue one. They look at me like they can't figure out why I would need one after flying under the radar in an NT world for so long.

New Threads

Top Bottom