• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Job

wanderer03

I gave my two week's notice to the bus company today. I have an independent contractor gig with Panther Premium Logistics driving a large straight truck over the road. I head to Medina, OH to attend orientation! First step towards my goal to be an independent hauler. Please wish me luck.

Sounds great!!! I'm happy for you and will be sure to throw up a few prayers on your behalf. I'm familiar with Medina, OH, as I lived in Bedford for a few years. My lady-friend and I used to drive there from time to time to shop and get away from the big cities. You'll have to let me know if they ever finished working on the roads; it's been an ongoing thing for 20-plus years.

Thank you sir! I leave for orientation on June 25th. As soon as I get my truck, I'll post pics.

Sounds great!!! I'll be looking forward to the pictures. If you make it down this way you'll have to give me a shout. I'll treat to Rosie's or maybe Old Heidelberg.:)
Hey sportster right now I'm in Pensacola for my cousins wedding pensacola isn't that far from Alabama. I don't not sure what part of alabam your in. When I drive back to Dallas I planning going thru mobile. If you live near mobile I'd be happy to treat you to some left over wedding cake. :rolleyes:.

Last edited:
Sounds good, but I'm in Huntsville. That would be a good distance (about 350 miles) out of your way to deliver some cake, though I wouldn't mind since cake is one of the four basic food groups.:D

And what are the other three foods in the basic food group?

Congrats to you on such a great move! Hope it suits you even better than you expected.

I took a look and it seems they use Freightliner tractors. Is that correct? Their straight-truck set-up looks nice; big, roomy sleeper with enough space to stand up.

Somewhere I have a picture of the last truck I drove. It was a Freightliner with a twin-bed sleeper and no room. The industry sure has come along way since the last time I drove 29 years ago. I'm a bit envious.:p
Yes, correct. It is a 2016 Freightliner Cascadia with extended sleeper cab. It is quite roomy. I've seen those old KW T600s. They're tight quarters.

I took a look and it seems they use Freightliner tractors. Is that correct? Their straight-truck set-up looks nice; big, roomy sleeper with enough space to stand up.

Somewhere I have a picture of the last truck I drove. It was a Freightliner with a twin-bed sleeper and no room. The industry sure has come along way since the last time I drove 29 years ago. I'm a bit envious.:p
Hey, maybe the two of us could run team? You can tell that sociopathic boss where to shove it.

Ugh!! So the new job is not going to work out. I got a copy of the contract I would be required to sign and the terms and conditions were significantly worse than the recruiter lead me to believe.

After talking with my therapist, friends, and family, I've decided to give one more go at driving a tractor trailer. They all agree that my stress tolerance has gotten much better with the right combination of medication. The last time I drove a semi, my head wasn't really in the right place as I was fighting depression and anxiety at the same time as trying to operate safely. It was the final straw that caused a meltdown and a subsequent hospitalization.

My friends want me to try again because they've noticed a large change in me. Perhaps now I can handle it. I take Buspar/Prozac for anxiety and depression and I get a great night's sleep from Seroquel. I know that I love to drive - I just hate dealing with passengers. So, I took a job with Western Express. I have to do a 14 day refresher before I can go solo but I am fine with that. When you don't drive anything that big for a year, skills atrophy. I actually feel better knowing that someone will be there to help me get re-aquainted. I took the offer with Western because their trucks are all automatic transmissions and they have DirecTV with HBO, SHO, MAX, and NFL Sunday Ticket. I will drive regionally with them and be home on weekends.

I start on June 27th and I am excited and a little nervous at the same time. This will be what will really kick my personal hauling business into high gear. I need to become comfortable and competent with a trailer. The only way to overcome the anxiety is to keep at it and become intimately familiar with large trailers. I think I have the tools at my disposal now to succeed this time around. Please wish me luck!

I'm really sorry to hear the job isn't going to work out but I'm glad you are feeling ok to drive a tractor trailer again.

Thank you much! I'm excited to be dealing with cargo again. Cargo is much more Aspie-friendly lol.
What is it about cargo handling that makes it more Aspie-friendly? I am trying to put together a cross-reference of Aspie traits vs. comfort jobs for a friend of mine. He specializes in career coaching for people with hidden disabilities like Asberger's

New Threads

Top Bottom