• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New here

ambermeg

Hello! My name is Amber , as far as I know I am a NT but my girlfriend was diagnosed with aspergers just last year. I am here to get advice on how I can be a better partner to her. I lack in communication skills and that has been hurting our relationship severely, I love her very much and want to only grow with her and help her in this crazy world as much as I can. Any advice , tips would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome aboard :)
image.jpg

Welcome to AC! A lot of us struggle with communication issues--the aspie/NT bridge can be tricky to navigate, and even people not troubled with this particular division have challenges. I think you'll find a lot of people to hang with.

Enjoy your stay!

Hello Amber! Welcome to the forums. A lot of us tend to spell things out, so maybe you can construct some helpful insights from our collective jabberings. Good luck!

Hi & Welcome

Just to echo what was already said, understanding what things mean, what is meant is a very important part. And going both ways. When an Aspie says or does something it can have a different meaning from standard interpretation. But there is consistence within it. A bit like learning a different language.

welcome, amber! you'll find yourself in good and friendly company here. i know that when i joined AC a few months ago, i really enjoyed reading, reading, reading all the threads :) but don't feel shy about posting, either! this is a very welcoming and supportive community you've stumbled into.

ambermeg. Welcome, come on in, pull up a chair, let's talk.
Most of us have difficulties with words and social ineptitude. Add the fact that I am ancient, petrified and dithering does not make it any better.

It reminds me very little about this: words as poorly as they serve us, can be expressed on a spectrum of
precision, can be understood on a spectrum of understanding, interpreted on a spectrum of perception and nuanced enough to change with time and circumstance. The only way human communication works at all is by all parties communicating agree to try and agree to understand each other. The NT may have a flexibility in words and actions that we do not have. We HFA tend to like a more rigid interpretation in word and deed.

We are the sides of a coin and must learn to try and appreciate each other.

I think the Aspers are a minority and so I root for the home team.

New Threads

Top Bottom