• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

New Here, and Uncertain Regarding Diagnosis

Anonymoose45

Hello,

This is my first post here. To give you some of the basics, I'm a guy in my early 30's that completed my PhD about two years ago. When it comes to intellectual pursuits, I tend to do well in most areas if I put in effort, and I'm usually a quick learner and able to correct my mistakes. I can usually develop and learn artistic skills without much difficulty either. I love generating ideas, try to use the scientific method to guide my decisions, and my ideal career has always involved developing important research studies that would make the world a better place. Although I believe the world is a far better place than it used to be, I believe we could be doing so much more to reduce suffering for humanity and other living things.

For many years, I've been uncertain about my official diagnosis. I am confident that I'm different than most people I know, and I could spend a LONG time going into detail about it, but I don't want to bore anyone reading this. To summarize, I believe I meet all the criteria of Autism Spectrum Disorder in terms of the social difficulties, but I'm pretty sure I don't meet criteria for the restricted/repetitive behaviors. That said, I may be attempting to deceive myself because I fear being labelled with the diagnosis. I've always felt more comfortable labeling myself with depression or social anxiety, but I know my difficulties go beyond those two things.

Through hard work, I think I've improved my social skills over the years, but I believe they're still below average. My anxiety also results in word finding difficulties, unintended circumlocutions, and other qualities that are considered "eccentric" or "odd" by most people. I've become extremely quiet because I so often put my foot in my mouth when I talk, and I fear saying something that would make another person feel bad. While these traits, along with lack of interest, result in difficulties making or seeking out friends, I am especially impaired in dating and relationships. My impairments have led me to spend many years making no effort whatsoever to date, but this only compounded the problem as I fell further and further behind peers. I likely have less relationship experience than most high school students.

I thought joining this group may give me an opportunity to meet more people similar to myself, and that may be able to provide me some guidance in terms of what I can do to make up for my impairments. Any resources on dating or improving social skills would be a huge help, as would potential guidance on career paths that don't rely as much on these skills. I still haven't been able to decide if I would be far better off accepting my limitations and instead focus on my strengths rather than spend so much time only to be average or slightly above average at best.

Anyway, I already probably wrote too much, so I'll stop there. I look forward to meeting members and engaging in discussions here. I also hope I might meet others that share some of my goals, and that I can also provide help to members here given my own skill set.

upload_2019-1-16_9-2-12.png

Hi! Thanks for sharing your story.

It might be you're an aspie, or maybe because you were in PhD..?

Doing PhD is very stressful, as i believe you already know; many PhD students have anxiety, major depression, difficulties in communication.. Which might be stemmed from uncertainty of the future (dunno if the research is going to work well, uncertainty of future job etc) and being told (or fear of being told) that you're not doing good enough by the research community...

Yeah, i understand the feeling of not wanting to be diagnosted as such. Even so, i think aspie traits are very useful in doing research, so even if you're being diagnostic as such, it'll be your strength :) And you're also continuously working on your social communication, so might be alright :)

To summarize, I believe I meet all the criteria of Autism Spectrum Disorder in terms of the social difficulties, but I'm pretty sure I don't meet criteria for the restricted/repetitive behaviors.

In that case you could have "Social Communication Disorder".

Whatever the situation is as far as labels, good luck with your search for answers and welcome to the site!

Hi!
Regarding what you said here:
I still haven't been able to decide if I would be far better off accepting my limitations and instead focus on my strengths rather than spend so much time only to be average or slightly above average at best.
For me, I generally go with accepting limitations in things that I don't care that much about while focusing on improving the things that are getting in the way of doing what I want to do. For example, I'm also very 'behind' in dating, but I don't really care whether I have a romantic relationship or not. It could happen someday, but it also might not, and I'm happy either way. The only reason for me to work on that is to try to be 'normal' because that's what people are normally supposed to do by my age, and I don't consider being normal just for normal's sake to be a useful way to spend my time and energy. On the other hand, there are certain social skills that are important for doing well in the career I want, and I care a lot about this career, so those are worth working on. However, I don't expect myself to be perfect at them. I'm a perfectionist by nature, but I'm trying to teach myself that for some things being average is good enough. I also look for alternative ways to do things. For example, I doubt I'll ever be good at making phone calls, but I can make them a lot easier by scripting my introduction before the call and writing down the key points that I need to say during the conversation. So I could struggle endlessly to develop great natural phone skills, or I could save myself a lot of wasted effort and stress by writing down what I need to say.
but I'm pretty sure I don't meet criteria for the restricted/repetitive behaviors.
This brings to mind a couple of things. One possibility is the Social (Pragmatic) Communication Disorder in the DSM-5. It includes the same social criteria as ASD but without the restricted/repetitive behaviors criteria. It's only been out since 2013, so it wouldn't have been diagnosed before then, and even now many professionals are still learning about it. Another possibility is that you have restricted/repetitive behaviors but they either don't cause you any problems or only cause problems that you've learned to compensate for to a degree that you don't notice them much. That was the case for me. I knew I had social difficulties but didn't think I had restrictive/repetitive behaviors until I started really paying attention to how other people did things and noticed that the way I did things differently really did fit that pattern. It's just weird to describe it that way, because it makes it sound so pathological instead of just being a different way to do things. That's true of a lot of things with ASD. The medical model of disability frames it all as a set of things that are 'wrong' with us, things that need to be fixed in order to make us 'normal' (because apparently normal people don't have anything wrong with them). I subscribe much more to the idea that we just happen to have a different pattern of strengths and weaknesses than neurotypicals, which creates a different set of challenges than the ones society is used to dealing with.

Anyway, welcome to Autismforums!

Hi Anonymoose45. I love the name - I collect moose stuff (they mix in well with my cactus stuff and southwestern look. lol) But then I used to have an aquarium and the background was a desert theme. :)

I didn't realize that I did stimming until I started paying attention. Not all are obvious - even to myself - like rubbing the top of my thumbnail with my middle finger. That's what I do when sitting in a waiting room and trying to sit still and not bring attention to myself. At my desk I find myself always rubbing back and forth, my mousepad and have noticed the more upset or nervous I am, the faster and harder I rub. I've been told I do the rocking thing now and then and have caught myself a few times when I was really upset or in pain (it's comforting).

So, welcome and hope you enjoy talking to others here - everyone is very pleasant and interesting.

There is a lot of variety on the spectrum, so I wouldn't concern myself overly much about block checking. Many have gone on to quite varied and demanding careers. Its more a question of good individual fit then outright restrictions. At least in my opinion.

As far as the world being a better place, I would say it in certain ways yes, but in others no. Much depends on where you live and the conditions you were brought up in. Technology to mention one aspect, is a two edged sword and not necessarily all good.

No restricted interests or repetitive behaviors?
PPD-nos? The USA dumped it all together but the rest of the world hasn't.

Welcome!

Thank you all for the kind responses. I look forward to getting to know you all better. I'll try to respond to each of the more detailed messages.

Bluesky-Thanks! I agree that grad school can be very stressful. I appreciate you mentioning some of my qualities can be strengths when it comes to research. I strongly value the work I do and consider it amongst my top priorities since it can either help or harm people.

Tortoise-Right, I forgot about that diagnosis! No question I meet those criteria. Thanks for mentioning it.

Meghan-That’s a very good suggestion, and I like the example of how you handle phone calls. Most of the time, I’d entirely agree with your thoughts on romance. More recently though, it’s started to feel like if I met the right person, the relationship would be mutually beneficial, and allow us to achieve greater things than we could alone. Still, I think the chances of that occurring are quite low.

Your thoughts on the restricted/repetitive behaviors is also helpful. I had at least some of them when I was younger, but due to being mocked for them, tried to find compensatory behaviors that led to less ridicule from peers. I’ll have to spend more time thinking about it. I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

Pats-Thanks for your welcome, and I’m glad you like the name. I like being anonymous, like puns, and like moose, so it seemed to fit. In regards to stimming, I think I may have one or two minor ones that I avoid doing in front of other people (due to being mocked in the past).

Tom-That’s true that certain careers require more or less social interaction. I chose a career in which I have a lot of social interaction, which I was hoping would allow me to improve them more. It has, but I’m nowhere near where I’d like to be. Then again, my standards are outrageously high =\

In regards to the state of the world, I think it depends on the criteria a person is using, and even then, it’s hard to properly measure. I’d like to see overall suffering continue to decrease for all living things that experience pain. I agree that technology can be both good and bad.

China Autie-You’ve brought up something I was hoping to discuss, though I hadn’t planned on discussing it in this thread. Having some inside knowledge on the DSM-V, I’m not a fan of the removal of Asperger’s, nor the removal of the language difficulties criteria. There was hardly any research out there to support these changes in the diagnoses, and I think part of the change was to allow for a higher prevalence rate for an Autism diagnosis.

Thanks again to everyone else that responded as well! I hadn’t expected to get so many messages.

Hey there, and welcome!
I, too, didn't seem to have repetitive behaviors (at least from my perspective), but my therapist put down my trichotillomania (hair pulling) as a repetitive behavior. The thing is, almost anything can be a repetitive behavior. It just has to be a behavior that is repetitive... For example, another thing I do is sniff a clean blanket. It is an olfactory stim that I have, but I never considered it to be a stim until I got my autism diagnosis and did more research. So, you may have a repetitive behavior that you never knew you had!

Hi @Anonymoose45 and welcome to the community.

Briefly (cos I'm off out in a mo) formal diagnosis is the only way to be certain if you are doubting yourself, but self-diagnosis is not frowned upon in this community, even if it is elsewhere.
Repetitive and restrictive behaviours are not necessarily what some people think they are. You don't have to be a train-spotter or an obsessive collector of used bus-tickets to have a narrow interest. You could be extremely focused on your work, or an aspect of your work. You could be someone who rarely watches any TV/Movies that are not SciFi. You could just be someone who hyper-focuses on tasks frequently.
A repetitive behaviour can be as simple as being uncomfortable walking/driving a different route to a familiar place, or always using the same locker in the changing rooms. If you have a number of such routines in your life they may be considered repetitive behaviours. The terms are much broader than most people think.

New Threads

Top Bottom